guess what...

fisrtcoueswas80inches

Very Active Member
so my dad and i went shooting this weekend, but i had no ammo. so i went to Jensen's in Tucson and bought two different rounds. i bought a box of cheap, Remington core-lokt's 150 grain and a 33.00 dollar box of federal premium high energy vital shock. well take a wild guess at which one shot better..... made your decision? you guessed it, the 33.00 dollar a box. it shot it very well though, once dialed in, my best group was 3 shots at just below 1/2 inch
Casey

What grain bullet was the expensive ammo, if I may ask??

Barrel rate of twist has everything to do with bullet/accuracy performance. Differant powders, bullets, charges, primers, etc, all play a vital role. I'm not surprised at all.

I'm glad to see you found a load your rifle likes.

it was 165 gr. the core lokt was 150. i usually shoot 125 at coues deer but i guess i gotta shoot what my gun likes. would like to cheange over to 150 vital shocks but i think i might just stick with the 165, i like the extra knock down power it has and federal claims it still pushs 3000 fps.
casey

One thing everyone should know is that with reloads or factory you never expect anything to be normal. I would suspect if you took enough factory rifles you'd find one that was the most accurate with the cheapest hunting ammo you could find and vice versa.

A general tendancy with factory ammo is that the normal bullets are mass produced cheapies. Much like factory barrels that cost the factory about 15 or 25 bucks from what I understand. Using the best components of brass often costs quite a bit more. Along with a premium high energy powder. Doing a bit more work along the lines of testing in a number of loads trying to find suitable, reliable ballistics and a better MV. And then the projectiles which can add a ton to the cost. IE quality hunting bullets that can be relied upon to expand under most any circumstances AND hold together enough to get total penetration are costly. Some times these bullets perform the best but are not the most accurate. Sometimes they are. In hunting I trade performance for accuracy up to a certain point. In target shooting speed has a factor but accuracy is foremost.

So you see that you have a huge kettle of worms when choosing ammo. The only end answer is testing.

Had 2 identical 243 rifles years ago before I started reloading(lee loader with a mallet if any of you have been down that path.....) and the only difference were the serial numbers were off by about 40 IIRC. Dad and I bought at the same time. Same everything..... One liked Win 100 grains and the other was so so. This was at a time when I couldn't hit squat. Paid a guy to sight them in once to check them. He brought back targets about 1 inch or a tad larger groups. One with Rem 100 the other with Win 100s. Neither liked both. Go figure......

Good luck, Jeff

Well said, Jeff.

I have a friend that has the exact same rifle as me. Same caliber, etc.
He shoots 180gr. bullets WAY under MOA using H1000 powder, Fed. 215M primers.
I can't get the bullet to find paper let alone group!! (Slight exaggeration.)

Just goes to show you, all rifles are differant.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom