guide draw question

marley

Very Active Member
If I sign a contract with an outfitter for the minimum two days I know that I can hunt the other 3 days of a five day hunt without the outfitter as long as I have our contract with me. But my question is, do I have to have my two days with the outfitter BEFORE I can hunt the other 3 days without him? Can I book with an outfitter for the last two days but still hunt by myself for the first 3 days as long as I have the contract with me? I couldn't find anything about this in the regs.

Required to hunt 2 days with the outfitter. Otherwise outfitters would sell tons of outfitter draw opportunities and never have to forth any effort. This would flood the outfitter pool and odds would decrease drastically. IMO gnf should eliminate this 2 day outfitter option.

I just called the fish and game and they said that I could hunt the other three days by myself as long as I have the outfitter contract with me and it is contracted at least two days regardless of what two days during my hunt

Careful that you don't end up having to hunt for two days after filling your tag. That would be "hunting without a license" or something like that, eh?

The law stipulates and the Department has ruled, that you must hunt with the outfitter the first two days of your hunt and you can hunt after that for the duration of the hunt. I have no idea of what Game and Fish person you talked to but they are wrong. Call Law Enforcement division in Santa Fe for a correct answer.

The two day requirement floods the pool with applicants and increasing app count as a whole. But to answer the question, read the regs.

All an OF needs to do is book hunts 2 days apart for a 14 day hunt period with the stipulation you're on your own for the remaining 3 days of a 5 day hunt. This way they can fit in more hunts in the same timeframe without increasing overhead.

Not saying any would...

people that answer the phone at g&f rarely have a clue what they are talking about. you were definitely misinformed, you are required by law to be guided the first 2 days of your hunt.

Thanks guys. I went higher up at the fish and game office and got a confirmation that I do have to be guided two days before I can hunt on my own. The first lady I talked to obviously didn't know what she was talking about and I let the other guy know that.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom