Guide Oryx

joesikora

Long Time Member
Does anyone know the Oryx hunt areas where and how to hunt them want to go hunting with me this season if I draw? I will happily make a donation to your favorite charity of your choice for your help. Send me a PM or call me if your interested. I’m going to talk to Kiowa for a 2 day elk hunt, they don’t do the 2 day Oryx hunts or I’d use them

618-779-9165

Thanks for your time

Joe

300yds got it! 600yds No No No! What unit are you talking about?
I was told go to the Government Grounds

White Sands Missile Range Rhodes Canyon hunt. The hunt is a slam dunk, drawing the tag is the hard part. No need for a guide.

004 (2).JPG

I've hunted and helped many oryx hunts. Longest shot was under 300 yards, many have been under 100 yards. Yes there are people who can (or think they can) make much longer shots, but usually it's just a matter of figuring out a way to sneak closer, rather than just saying "Oh well, this is as close as I can get, so I better launch one".

As far as hunts being slam dunks, they have gotten harder than they used to be, just look at the harvest success rates. Still very doable, and arguably among the highest success rates for any hunt, but at only 2, possibly 2.5 days it's no guarantee.

I don't know much, but this is what I know:

Have been on close to 23 or 24 oryx hunts (on range and off range).

I've killed 5, my wife has killed 2, and my daughter has killed 2. Farthest shot was the off range my daughter did that was at 305 yds. Closest was my on range at 125-ish.

The most recent on range was with a friend on Rhodes in Sept 2021. Had opportunities anywhere from 100 to 400. It was a broke horn and he did not kill one. Most recent off range was my Jan this year and first shot was at 295, second shot was around 150 and the last was at 275. First two were misses, the third connected (stupid rookie story :LOL:)

Sometimes they're spooky, other times not. They will herd up more in colder months just like elk do. We've taken most of ours with a .270, .270 WSM, and a couple with a 7mm Mag. Others I have hunted with have used a 300 WSM and the others a mix of .270 WSM and a 7mm Mag.

Hunting oryx is a lot like hunting antelope. What makes them "tough" is trying to break the front leg the way they tell you with a big gun and the bullet fragments or gets deflected and misses or partly hits the lungs. We have yet to break the front leg the way they tell you. They've either been shot in the neck (no brainer on that) or double lunged.

I would choose OIL hunts in the Nov - Feb time-frame. Have hunted both Rhodes and Stallion and have spent a lot of time offrange next to Stallion. There are plenty of animals on both.

Message me if you draw. I have been on 3 off range hunts. All successful and all shots were inside of 200 yards. I recommend you apply for on-range as your first and second choice and off range as your 3rd. My favorite month for off range is December but any winter month should be fine. Summer is too hot and fall is too busy with other hunts.
Doug

^^^ I'd rather a guy ask now instead of 3 weeks before his hunt and says "hey everybody, I drew this abcxyz OIL oryx tag and have no idea what to expect. You think my .224 Weatherby Mag is good enough?".
LOL roadrunner! I know your right! I’m glad I have a ton of friends on MM that are always willing to help their Amigo out!
And if I havnt said it in awhile Thank You Thank You Thank You!

I’m going for 51 rifle Elk this season.
Any recommendations for Antelope?
I haven’t been able to hunt for the last few years because of spine surgeries so I guess I’m getting over excited Lol!

I’m going for 51 rifle Elk this season.
Any recommendations for Antelope?
I haven’t been able to hunt for the last few years because of spine surgeries so I guess I’m getting over excited Lol!
51 is a good unit. However it gets alot applicants. Lots of hunters all over the place. Be careful with the locals. There’s better units besides 51.

Does anyone know the Oryx hunt areas where and how to hunt them want to go hunting with me this season if I draw? I will happily make a donation to your favorite charity of your choice for your help. Send me a PM or call me if your interested. I’m going to talk
Shot my on-range bull at 276 yards with a 30-06 out of a group of 60 to 75 animals. Shot mine on opening day after
Shot my on-range bull at 276 yards with a 30-06 out of a group of 60 to 75 animals. Shot mine on opening day after looking over 300+ animals.

View attachment 105903
Did you hunt with 505 Outfitters? I think I have seen that in hunting fool on on there website.

oh I forgot to ask how do they taste?
I personally think elk, especially cow elk, is a a lot better eating than oryx. My oryx had decent flavor, but was tough. Maybe because he was an older bull....not sure. I'd love to see what a younger cow oryx taste like!

I personally think elk, especially cow elk, is a a lot better eating than oryx. My oryx had decent flavor, but was tough. Maybe because he was an older bull....not sure. I'd love to see what a younger cow oryx taste like!

The off range I shot this year in Jan was a pretty good bull, and about as tender as a spike elk.

Joe: Nothing against a guide but like others have said, you can do it on your own.
Be sure to study shot placement (on the shoulder).
I would also do some research on judging them.
I have hunted them in Africa and on the range. They are very fun to hunt!

Joe: Nothing against a guide but like others have said, you can do it on your own.
Be sure to study shot placement (on the shoulder).
I would also do some research on judging them.
I have hunted them in Africa and on the range. They are very fun to hunt!
Thanks wood Great advice!

I've applied for oryx off & on for 20 years. Been studying the off range opportunities more lately. Success rates are fairly high. I live in Indiana, but have lots of family in Colorado now, so am thinking one of these Dec-March hunts would be a nice winter break after my routine Sept-Nov hunt seasons end. To avoid the long drive, fly into Denver visit family rent a truck and drive down with wife. I prefer to take my time, and don't like the pressure of the short 3 day range options. Was thinking a week or two would be better. Could leave cape & meat in Denver for family to take care of. So primary concern is if the off range hunts have adequate public land available, and if hotels would be close enough to the hunt area to base a hunt from one. It would save me from hauling all the camping gear. This year I picked a range hunt 1st choice, followed by the Febr & March off range picks. Any thoughts on hotels/public? Thx

I've applied for oryx off & on for 20 years. Been studying the off range opportunities more lately. Success rates are fairly high. I live in Indiana, but have lots of family in Colorado now, so am thinking one of these Dec-March hunts would be a nice winter break after my routine Sept-Nov hunt seasons end. To avoid the long drive, fly into Denver visit family rent a truck and drive down with wife. I prefer to take my time, and don't like the pressure of the short 3 day range options. Was thinking a week or two would be better. Could leave cape & meat in Denver for family to take care of. So primary concern is if the off range hunts have adequate public land available, and if hotels would be close enough to the hunt area to base a hunt from one. It would save me from hauling all the camping gear. This year I picked a range hunt 1st choice, followed by the Febr & March off range picks. Any thoughts on hotels/public? Thx

There are hotel options in Socorro, T or C, and Alamogordo depending on where you hunt for both on range and off range.

The Fite Ranch also runs a bed and breakfast outside of Socorro as another option.

Air B and B's aren't a bad option either.

Lots of public for off range.

There are hotel options in Socorro, T or C, and Alamogordo depending on where you hunt for both on range and off range.

The Fite Ranch also runs a bed and breakfast outside of Socorro as another option.

Air B and B's aren't a bad option either.

Lots of public for off range.
Thank you. I normally plan these things well in advance, but just changed my mind when F&G extended the appl date a day. Went all in. Unlikely to draw anyway but at 63 this looks like a good old man hunt to add to my apps. The YouTube videos I watched looked very easy.

Last edited:
Joe, if you draw that tag, and I'm available, I'd be happy to go with you. I've helped a few people over the years and loved doing it. Have been very successful and seem to actually be getting better at it (last person I helped got a 41-incher, which is a pretty high mark, so I'm not promising anything). I did have one bad experience, which I'll talk about offline if you really want to know, but not on here... :cool:

Thank you. I normally plan these things well in advance, but just changed my mind when F&G extended the appl date a day. Went all in. Unlikely to draw anyway but at 63 this looks like a good old man hunt to add to my apps. The YouTube videos I watched looked very easy.
4x4 is a must in the sand !!

Joe, if you draw that tag, and I'm available, I'd be happy to go with you. I've helped a few people over the years and loved doing it. Have been very successful and seem to actually be getting better at it (last person I helped got a 41-incher, which is a pretty high mark, so I'm not promising anything). I did have one bad experience, which I'll talk about offline if you really want to know, but not on here... :cool:
Hey mozey I applied and if I draw your more then welcomed to come help me then we can talk sheep hunting haha!

Mozey I will get ahold of you for that story LOL!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom