Guide/outfitter recommendation for Boulder deer?

ColdBore

I'm not getting any younger or healthier (mild COPD due to military deployments, but still willing to hike), so I'm going to cash out my General Buck points this year. Since I had spent some time in years past in the Plateau/Boulder/Kapairowits area, and generally liked it, I figured on applying there.

Not being from the area, and not wanting to do it all myself, I'm planning on just hiring somebody to do it.

I know I'm not going to kill the new state record, but I'm also not wanting to just shoot the first skinny three point that ambles past. I'm looking for an honest hunt, with a good opportunity at a solid representative buck for that area (I have realistic expectations).

Can anybody recommend a solid outfitter/guide at a reasonable price?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The entire state is down, but Boulder is hurting worse than most units. Not sure when you were there last, but it has been in a sharp decline the last few years. They have cut tags, but it is in the toilet as far as the deer herd. Not sure on an outfitter, possibly High Top? Good luck!

Don't blow any Points for a PISSCUTTER Tag on the South Slope!

The Quantity/Quality has been Down forever!

And The Fire this Last Fall will put everybody in 2 Big Piles!

All for a Few DINK Bucks!

I Can't Tell you where to Hunt!

But I'm Telling You Where Not to Hunt!

I could point you in the right direction on that unit, but I don’t know any outfitters that would want to guide it. It takes more points than it’s worth in my opinion.

Well, looks like that's out.

I lost my father, and main hunting buddy, a few years ago and that took a lot of wind out of my hunting sails. The last time I hunted there was with him. That was a big part of wanting to hunt that area again. I was just starting to get some motivation back, and figured I'd jump back into it this year.

Sounds like I might not be after all.

Time to step back and think about this a bit I guess.

You should go hunt it anyway. If you put yourself out there long enough, you could get lucky. Being able to get out is everything.
I agree. Just because some people hunt a place a fail, doesn’t mean you will fail. There are several outfitters that advertise on this site that I believe hunt Boulder. Look at the Utah guides page and reach out to a few of them.

A hunt isn't always about the kill, if it would bring back good memories for you I wouldn't hesitate to hunt it. You could always get lucky!

If I were in your shoes and wanting to go guided, I'd talk with some of the outfitters I mentioned (on the Utah Guide Page) and see what unit they felt you have the best chance in with them guiding you. Some might know Boulder better than others. Some might suggest that if you book with them, that you hunt Pine Valley, Dutton, Thousand Lakes, etc. based on how well they know the units.
But in general, Boulder can probably be as good as anywhere else general season. I've been considering that tag this year myself.

A hunt isn't always about the kill, if it would bring back good memories for you I wouldn't hesitate to hunt it. You could always get lucky!

Not sure it would bring back the kind of good memories I'd be looking for if it was just an exercise in frustration and disappointment.

Being an out-of-stater now, the cost, logistics, and everything else involved are increased.

I'm not sure it's worth the time, money, and hassle for a sub-par experience. After allowing this, and some other things I've read, time to sink in, I'm thinking I'm going to just pass and save myself the headaches and letdown.

There’s opportunities to have a good time hunting general season in Utah. I’ve killed a 177” buck off that unit. You just have to go into it with realistic expectations and be prepared to deal with some situations you may not have anticipated. I didn’t mean for my previous post to discourage you too much. I just wanted you to know what you were getting into, and that I think there’s better general season opportunities for the points this unit requires.

Being an out-of-stater now, the cost, logistics, and everything else involved are increased.

I'm not sure it's worth the time, money, and hassle for a sub-par experience. After allowing this, and some other things I've read, time to sink in, I'm thinking I'm going to just pass and save myself the headaches and letdown.
I get what you’re saying
I have enough points to draw any general season in the state but I’m not excited about it. I’m not sure it’s worth the cost of the license and tag to go on a mediocre or likely even poor hunt. Then be unhappy with the results for what it cost to do it.
Especially in a drought year!

I get what you’re saying
I have enough points to draw any general season in the state but I’m not excited about it. I’m not sure it’s worth the cost of the license and tag to go on a mediocre or likely even poor hunt. Then be unhappy with the results for what it cost to do it.
Especially in a drought year!

That's pretty much where I'm at.

Hunting "just to hunt" isn't always worth everything that has to go into it.

I wasn't expecting a wall hanger, but if it's going to be a challenge to even see a mediocre buck, it starts to drag on you.

I've pretty much given up on the thought of applying. Oh well.... ?

That's pretty much where I'm at.

Hunting "just to hunt" isn't always worth everything that has to go into it.

I wasn't expecting a wall hanger, but if it's going to be a challenge to even see a mediocre buck, it starts to drag on you.

I've pretty much given up on the thought of applying. Oh well.... ?
One positive thing is your points never go away. There’s probably still a couple years before point creep will take over general season too bad. If we get a good wet year or two I will probably try to use my general season points also.
I’ve been doing a lot of research on the general hunts.
If and when I do decide to draw I will plan on doing a bunch of preseason scouting so maybe we can join up?
I’m not really expecting a giant either but it is fun to try!
I’m not getting any younger or healthier either!

I wouldn't give up on going guided if that's what you want to do. I'd call some of these outfitters and see what they can offer. I've had guys on these forums flat out lie to me about how bad areas are just to keep them to themselves.

You need to keep in mind as well that not all hunters are created equal in their ability and determination. So if a guy reports that an area isn't very good, maybe, just maybe, they are the problem, not the unit or hunt.
On the flip side, sometimes you'll hear someone talk as though 200 inch bucks are all over the place, when that's not real accurate either, as some folks get buck fever and might think what they're seeing is bigger than it is.
Just like with news I TV, you've got to take in multiple view points, add common sense and then form an opinion.

I've had guys on these forums flat out lie to me about how bad areas are just to keep them to themselves.

No way!

Say it ain't so...

Not here... That would never happen.... ??

(And yes, that was one of the first things that crossed my mind)

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom