Gumbo - Laya !!!

Blank

Long Time Member
Girls eating leftover steak is good. Let's me fix seafood for me!!! Jalapeño cheddar andouille, small shrimp (that's like a double negative), grilled chicken breast, holy trinity of veggies, and a nice brown roux. Wonderfully easy, 4 hour simmer, and enough leftovers for a month!!!

CFAAED10-2CD0-4493-A9A3-ECE28BB55CA3_1_201_a.jpeg

308729F3-9100-45AD-87AB-8E78F017D2CF_1_201_a.jpeg

4B9DE589-B318-43A5-8FB6-07A425C95684_1_201_a.jpeg

E358A818-B1C5-4EF6-B1CA-029E2956F25E_1_201_a.jpeg

03A0CF3A-E829-4C35-BD6A-656652EE74EF.jpeg

Haha! I prefer to keep all of my leftover bait from red fishing, and bring home with my filets and throats.

Yep, I think that CC was just being an azz that day!! He wanted to brag about buying Gulf shrimp twice a year. A half dozen of my friends in Matagorda, Sargent, and Freeport are shrimpers. Hell, I buy a $100 every day in Matagorda when the wife and I are there, and my guide friend buys $100 every day, all year long!!

As far as Gulf-caught, makes you wonder why the American Shrimp Processors Association (ASPA) is based in Biloxi, right next to the Biloxi Shrimp Co. and they harvest their shrimp right where the Mississippi dumps all the sewage and fertilizer from the entire country. Oh yeah, its right next to Pasgagoula and Bayou la Batre which are two of the biggest polluters of the Gulf.

We've been going to Mazatlan -- touted as the Shrimp Capitol of the World -- every year since the early 1980s. We have had time-shares there since the early 1990s so we always pig out on fresh camarones while we're there. Most restaurants serve them cooked myriad ways.

For eating there, we sometimes bought them direct from the boat, but mostly from the "shrimp ladies" near the downtown market. They would have buckets of them that were bought that morning when the boats came in. We normally got a kilo & cooked it all up at once for snacking on during the day in the room. That lasted us for the two weeks we spent each trip. We mostly ate dinner out each night, however.

After we began driving down 30+ years ago, we met a pulmonia (open air cab) driver who knew the owner of the local packing plant. He took us there one day and introduced us. As a result, we usually brought home at least 10 pounds of already frozen shrimp every year. In U.S. dollars, about $3.50 lb. for the larger ones.

I've always been amused that the shrimp entrées in the restaurants are usually double the price of a decent steak. The adage the locals use goes something like, "If you want steak, go to Texas; if you want shrimp, come to Mazatlan."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom