Gun safes

I have a Cabela's safe but it's a Cannon. I don't know how you fully evaluate one one without setting the house on fire but the lock works and it hasn't rusted. It's heavier than crap, I think it weighs 450 pounds.

I went to a Cabela's store and picked mine up.

If you want the best and can afford it, go with a Graffunder safe. They are levels above the general run of what a guy usually buys!!

I'd love to have one but just can't afford to replace the one i have even though there is no similarity in quality, the Graffunder is that good!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

The Liberty safes are good.
They are built about 2 miles from my home.
Crappy looking factory, but great guys that really want to build good stuff.

Thanks Joey for the Graffunder comments. I have never heard of them.
They certainly do look BETTER!

I think safes are typical of many things, in that you get what you pay for. The better the fire rating-the better the safe-the more they cost-and most likely the more they weigh. My Fort Knox weighs about 800 lbs, and is not a large safe.

I work closely with a few gun safe manufactures. You do get what you pay for when it comes to gun safes.
If you want a box with a lock so kids can't get to your guns, then it does not matter who makes it. Any decent gun safe will protect you from your average theft. If you want serious fire protection, you will pay for it. Read the specs, fire ratings, warranty, steel thickness, etc- this will tell you the most.

With that said-Liberty sells a lot of safes-IMO there are better safes though, if you want to pay for them.

I did a lot of research before I bought my Liberty safe and found the cheapest price by a long shot was at CAL-Ranch. fatrooster.

No question that Graeffunder makes one of the very best safes available. I've been looking at their products for over 20 years. I can't justify the cost, however.

Liberty makes a decent safe, and almost all the big names like Fort Knox, National Security and even Cannon make good products at various price points. Every, I repeat EVERY, safe can be compromised with enough time and equipment. Every safe will have the internal contents damaged if left in a hot enough fire long enough.

Your needs will vary based on location. In rural WYoming or even Utah, the fire department could be an hour or more away, and may not even get notified until the cabin is burned to the ground or the surrounding forest fire begins. In most towns, even with volunteer fire departments, a 30 minute response is almost unheard of. Quality fire protection is important, but most ratings beyond 60 minutes should rarely be needed.

Steel thickness is another trade-off of cost versus time. Avoid the sheet metal cabinets, of course, but once steel on all sides exceeds 1/8", you are starting to gain little benefit for a lot of cost. 1/4 plate is wonderful, and even my preference, but the same tools needed to get through 1/8" steel will get you through 1/4" steel with just more time. You don't want steel soo thin that a battle axe can break through, but once you need a cutting torch, well, a torch will get through most any thickness with enough time.

I own one Liberty safe, among others. It will stop all but the most skilled and determined thief, and provide reasonable protection from a short lived fire. Bolted to the floor and properly locked, even the lighter weight Canon will do the job most of the time. I personally prefer safes that weigh at least 600 pounds empty, and those that weigh over a 1000 pounds make it exceedingly unlikely they will be removed from the premises. Again, bolting to the (concrete) floor is the best deterrent in this area, but few people actually do this.

I am a strong proponent of using quality gun safes, but don't let your search for the perfect (and very Expensive) gun safe keep you from purchasing one that is perfectly adequate for your intended use. The Liberty and even less expensive Canon safes will provide reasonable protection for most people.

Bill

I've been thinking of getting a bigger safe for the rifles. How about gun safes and their water tightness? Not that I think I'm going to encounter any flooding anytime soon since we are in a drought, but always need to think of this as well living in a riverbed flood plane area.

As far as I know no safes are water tight. If they are water tight, they are also air tight and will hold in moisture.
The better safes do have a heat seal that expands when heated, making it almost airtight though.

I would agree, I am not aware of any safes which are watertight. At a minimum, almost all have a small hole in the top where you can run a cord for a dehumidifier, light, etc.

Both Fort Knox and Liberty/Champion in Utah make vault doors. These make an incredibly secure structure if set into a concrete wall. They are not cheap. However, you can make your safe room as large as your budget will allow, and nobody will get in without the combo.
Bill

Guess I will be the only one so far that says I own a Browning Gun Safe. I have had it for about 15 years now and no problems.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

My advice is to buy LOCAL!

I don't have enough time to discribe what I went through with a safe I ordered on line. It fell over in the 3rd. party truck not once ,but twice!
Try the RMEF banquet near you. If you win a bid,or just buy it outright the seller will probably deliver and install the unit.
You won't need to sweat the travel.

If money is no object ....get a Fort Knox!

Good Luck

LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-13 AT 08:34AM (MST)[p]I bought a liberty safe from lowes. i think its a good solid safe I have had it for 4 years now.

I have a Liberty safe. Had it since 1998. It is the Presidential model. The Liberty is a very well made safe.
I would highly recommend the Liberty Safes.
I would also check out the Pendleton safes. They have a neat feature with a rotating gun rack here is a link. www.pendletonsafes.com/

Any safe is better than just having the guns stored in a closet. Getting my safe was money well spent and gives some peace of mind knowing I have done what I can to protect my valuables. I would get the biggest you can you will be surprised what you will want to put into it besides guns.

a burglar with a torch is going to get into every single safe anyone here has suggested. You are trying to stop a crack head with a crow bar. The Liberty safe will be just fine.

Check out AMSEC Gun Safes, the HS Series-High Security is the Pinnacle of Gun Safes. AMSEC also has Vault Doors. If anyone is interested in one let me know.

NMBIGHORN

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom