Gun seems to be shooting faster than it should be.

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
I'm shooting 60 grains of H4350 behind a 200 grain eldx out of a browning xbolt 300wsm. I am getting an average of 2843 fps. According to charts on the Hodgdon website I should be getting around 2720 fps. Have you guys seen this in your rifles before? I can't imagine the chronograph is wrong, but maybe.
It is shooting super accurate too. Standard barrel and the chronograph is 10 feet away.​

20220728_212958.jpg

Last edited:
So many things can affect velocity for a load: Bullet seating depth, ambient conditions, barrel length, your chamber, do you crimp (likely not), which case you are using, etc, etc. I don't think it's rare to see a 4% difference between actual results and published values.

Each rifle is a law unto itself.

I have 4 different Winchester model 70 Featherweights in 30.06. (One for me, the wife, and each of the kids) With the exact same ammunition, I get over 250 fps difference from the fastest to the slowest rifle over a proven accurate Oehler chronograph, and this is repeatable session to session. From essentially identical rifles!

I also shoot three different 300 Win Mags, One a Kimber 8400 deluxe, One a model 70 Supergrade, and the last a Kimber 8400 sniper.
The Kimber deluxe is 175 fps faster than the other two, who shoot within 25 fps of each other. And the sniper has a longer barrel than the others.

There are fast barrels, slow barrels, shot out barrels, tight chambers, and a host of other factory that influence velocity. You only know the actual velocity when shot over a quality, proven chronograph. Perhaps the majority shoot close to published velocities, but the variance is quite high.

Bill

All the above. Plus I have found differences in powder lots. My 7 WSM I am shooting over max to get the results I got with a previous jug of the same powder with no signs of excessive pressure.

Each rifle is a law unto itself.

I have 4 different Winchester model 70 Featherweights in 30.06. (One for me, the wife, and each of the kids) With the exact same ammunition, I get over 250 fps difference from the fastest to the slowest rifle over a proven accurate Oehler chronograph, and this is repeatable session to session. From essentially identical rifles!

I also shoot three different 300 Win Mags, One a Kimber 8400 deluxe, One a model 70 Supergrade, and the last a Kimber 8400 sniper.
The Kimber deluxe is 175 fps faster than the other two, who shoot within 25 fps of each other. And the sniper has a longer barrel than the others.

There are fast barrels, slow barrels, shot out barrels, tight chambers, and a host of other factory that influence velocity. You only know the actual velocity when shot over a quality, proven chronograph. Perhaps the majority shoot close to published velocities, but the variance is quite high.

Bill
Thanks so much!

Just looked at my Hornady reloading manual, and for the 300 WSM, they conducted their velocity test using a Winchester Model 70 with 24" barrel running a 1 in 10 twist lit by a WLRM primer.

Considering all the variables stated above, looks like your rifle just shoots faster which is not at all uncommon. Sometimes you win the speed lottery without incurring any pressure penalties :)

First thing you should do if you want accurate data is dump the shoot through chrono. It can be wrong, and often they are. Sun light, clouds, angle, those things are a pain and frankly now pointless. Get a magno speed or if you really want to go for it a lab radar. Till you do you’ll only ever be “close” on your data. But never certain

I got a Labradar because I didn’t like the accuracy of my other chrono and wanted to get the BC for my bullets at my velocities. The magneto speed looks like it’s an excellent chrono IMO. I would have gotten the V3 if I didn’t want to get the BC values as well. I have found huge variance in published data and my actual range days

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom