Gun suggestions?

huntingisfun

My 10 year old daughter wants to hunt deer this coming year. What gun do you recommend for a beginner girl? I was thinking of a 6.5 Creedmore, or a .243. Looking for suggestions. Thanks!

I don't think you'll go wrong with either of the options. I have a .243 for my kids, I was able to get it with the shorter stock so it was more usable when they were just starting. It has worked great, one shot kills on a few deer and an elk. Very mild recoil and very accurate.

243 is a great starter option with bullets generally 60 to 100 grains. (wife uses one for deer)
6.5 Creedmoor is a great starter option with a much greater bullet weight range, generally 110 up to 140 grain bullets but many more even larger bullets if inclined. (grandson uses one for deer and closer shots on elk, 3 for 3 this year)
We've all heard the "man bun" statements about the Creedmoor but those who shoot them certainly do well with them.
For deer only, can't go wrong with either.

Zeke

IMO find her a gun that fits her well. Make it comfortable for her to shoot and she will be fine. Take her to a few shops and handle a variety of rifles. The weatherby Camilla is a good choice but there are a number of other youth rifles that would be good also.
I’d recommend a 243win or even a 25-06,257 roberts.

IMO find her a gun that fits her well. Make it comfortable for her to shoot and she will be fine. Take her to a few shops and handle a variety of rifles. The weatherby Camilla is a good choice but there are a number of other youth rifles that would be good also.
I’d recommend a 243win or even a 25-06,257 roberts.
well said. I think the fit is more important than the caliber. both are great calibers.

A $500 Savage 110 in 7-08 has worked it way through my 3 kids. 3 bull elk and about 15 mule deer so far. My daughter started shooting it at 12 years old and about 65 pounds.

Whatever you decide, make sure you get the gun to fit. Most 10 year old girls are tiny and nothing is more frustrating for an inexperienced kid than trying to find an animal in a scope with the stock too long or eye relief not appropriate (and everybody watching giving advice)
I strongly recommend multiple sessions of rock busting for new hunters as well. It greatly adds to their confidence and ability to track targets.
Nothing better though if she has a good experience and likes it!

Here is my boy last year (9 years old) with a .243 that i won. Gave it to my boys. Shooting some tannerite at 75 yards. Soon we will bw working on 150 yard shots. He mostly likes laying down to shoot

Whatever you decide, make sure you get the gun to fit. Most 10 year old girls are tiny and nothing is more frustrating for an inexperienced kid than trying to find an animal in a scope with the stock too long or eye relief not appropriate (and everybody watching giving advice)
I strongly recommend multiple sessions of rock busting for new hunters as well. It greatly adds to their confidence and ability to track targets.
Nothing better though if she has a good experience and likes it!

Rock busting was my favorite thing. I’m talking about the 3”-6” ones on a hillside so as it’s not vandalism. That’s how I learned uphill and downhill shots at varying ranges. Dad would be my spotter and call the shots and hits/misses. There was a little element of teamwork. I still go to those places with my different bolt guns and plink away. Tons of fun as a kid and even as an adult.

You may want to look at the Howa mini Mauser in 7mm-08. I purchased one for my young Grandson who is small in size. It has the youth stock and he enjoys shooting it.
On my first handload try with 140 gr. Hornadys and H4895 powder that rifle put 3 shots into a 5/8 inch group at 100 yards.
That is now his hunting load with that rifle. The rifle is also very reasonable in price.

RELH

Thanks for all your input. I never thought of shooting rocks or milk jugs to start off. I think that is a great idea to get her confidence up before moving on to paper targets. I really appreciate your suggestions. My 12 year old son has a 243, and he does great, but he's been shooting for years and has always loved everything outdoors. My daughter just barely got into it, so it's a little different for her.

Thanks for all your input. I never thought of shooting rocks or milk jugs to start off. I think that is a great idea to get her confidence up before moving on to paper targets. I really appreciate your suggestions. My 12 year old son has a 243, and he does great, but he's been shooting for years and has always loved everything outdoors. My daughter just barely got into it, so it's a little different for her.
I had one daughter that showed interest in hunting, but I probably pushed too hard and she decided it wasn't for her. I'd make your daughter's first experience as easy and fun as you can. (kinda like going to the mall) Then hopefully she will decide "huntingisfun" on her own!
Best of luck man.

I have a set of twin girls that are around 65-70lbs that will be hunting next. I waited an extra two years after they could legally hunt to try to get more size to them to be able to shoot a bigger gun than a .22. I am currently in the middle of building them a 6.5 grendel for them to use this next year. My .243 is way heavy and does not fit them properly. I have also had them try to shoot and hold up their cousins 6.5 creedmoor and they are still to small for that rifle which is a savage with 12 inch LOP. I did a bunch of research and went with the 6.5 grendel in an AR 15 platform with a colapsible stock so it will fit the twins. In the AR platform felt recoil is almost non-existent. I will be done with this build by the end of the month. I will post up a review and let you know what I think of it. I never thought I would use this style of rifle for hunting. I am a bit of traditionalist but my girls have been begging me because they watch their cousins, the same age, shooting deer the last two years and they aren't. As dads of petite girls, that love the outdoors, and want to hunt we have to find away. I hope this build works for them.

Last edited:
My 10 year old daughter wants to hunt deer this coming year. What gun do you recommend for a beginner girl? I was thinking of a 6.5 Creedmore, or a .243. Looking for suggestions. Thanks!
I started my girls a little later, 12 years old I think. I bought them .270 Tikka T3 lite's. My youngest now has a 25-06, and it shoots pretty well, with not much recoil.
With that being said, the 6.5 will probably give you more options for ammo to shoot.

Might be a good idea to get her a Varminter too. With girls, I’ve seen them loose interest fast if they are handed a powerful rifle. I know the 6mm’s aren’t too bad, but if she trains on a 223 or 222 with the same zero, she will warm up comfortably to something else and have fun not developing a flinch.

With my kids I've done .243, 7mm-08 and 6.5 creed. .243 just has no advantages vs the other 2, so I sold it. 7mm-08 has bigger bullet options so I think a bit better for elk, Creedmore has the long distance advantage. I did do a youth stock as it just fit my kids better, but then you get to change that out later. I have found that we shot a scoped .22 at 100+ yards and work on getting good groups while shooting the bigger rifle a few times. Lots less money and they just need to shoot a few hundred times to learn. Good luck. I spent more time helping my son this past year than hunting for myself - and I had more fun doing it!!

My 12 year old nephew drew a antelope tag. I offered to loan him a gun for the hunt so we went to the range with six guns. We started him shooting a 22 just to work on form. Then we switch to a 17 hmr to again work on form and accuracy. Then we went to the guns he might use on the hunt. He shot a 22-250, 243, 6.5 CM, and a 25-06. He shot the 6.5 CM and the 25-06 the best. The next week we went back with those two guns and shot 200, 300, and 400 yards. The further out we shot the better the 6.5 CM did. It has a little less recoil than the 25-06 but I believe the 6.5 bullets just flew better. He chose to use the 6.5 and killed a dandy buck at 340 yards. The range time made all the difference in the world. Find the guns that you might like to try and take her to the range and let her pick. Not sure where you live but I bet someone here on MM would let her try some different calipers. If you are near Southern Oregon I would be happy to let her try my guns at the range.

The 243 has plenty of advantages but most of the rifle companies don’t twist them correctly. A 243 with a 8 twist shooting 105s is a wicked little cartridge.

7mm-08. I took a chance on it after hearing Newberg praise it.

Ruger American.

Light trigger. Accurate. My kids love it
Agreed! I grew up shooting all my first big game animals with a 7mm-08. Never had any problems knocking down deer elk and Antelope!

My son killed his 1st buck with his Grandmothers .300 Savage, he has since been using his Winchester Model 70 in .270 Win.

Ethan's 1st Buck.JPG

I know it wasn't one of your offered choices, but I'd go with a 7mm-08 if you could.

The gain is bullet weight and construction is appreciable enough to matter on game, but the increase in recoil is hardly noticeable.

As for any advantage the Creedmore may have at extended range, it may matter on the range, but at any distance that a reasonable and ethical hunter (especially a youngster just starting out) should be shooting, it really doesn't matter.

You can start her on 100 grain loads for the mildest recoil, then move up to 120's for hunting, and still have the option of the 140's if you feel that you need even more.

My kids started deer hunting with .257 AI, as has been said other good choices after the .257 are the 7mm-08 and .243 with 100 gr bullets.

My daughter started with a .243 at age 10. At twelve, she is now shooting a 6.5 creedmor. She was very apprehensive about shooting the 6.5, but I explained that it had a muzzlebreak and doesn't kick hard. After she shot, she said "that kicked less than my .243" and proceeded to burn thru 30 rounds until I finally told her to stop. :LOL:

I started mine with a 243 and they quickly moved into the 7mm-08. I reload everything so I do not know what’s available for factory 7mm-08, but 8 years ago there wasn’t any good factory 7mm-08. Where as the 6.5 creed moor has very accurate factory ammo available. If you buy your kid a rifle you want to make sure you have good ammo available

.... so I do not know what’s available for factory 7mm-08, but 8 years ago there wasn’t any good factory 7mm-08.

Federal Fusion.

As cheap as the generic CoreLokt and PowerPoint stuff, but better construction and more accurate in my experience.

After moving shortly before a hunt almost 20 years ago, not being able to find my handloads, and needing something on short notice, I bought some on the recommendation of my local gun shop owner. Sighted in and was quite happy with the accuracy of them on paper.

I proceeded to put one diagonally through a large bodied mulie buck, with complete pass-through penetration, a couple weeks later. I've since shot a bunch of whitetails with them and am yet to recover a bullet.

Since then, I haven't bothered to handload if I can find the Fusions in the chambering that I'm using, I'm that happy with them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom