Gunnison Basin 3rd or 4th

hntnfool

Looking for everyone’s opinion, will there be any big bucks left in the Basin after the 3rd season and Is the 4th season worth all the extra points this year?

If you can tell me what the weather will be, I can give you a good answer!

I think 3rd and 4th season tags will jump up a bunch in points. An early snow could make 2nd season really good with high tag numbers. I am debating myself, but it’s a roll of the dice no matter what season you pick.

There are big bucks killed in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Biggest factor is weather and dates and how they line up. I would never be worried about all the big ones being killed in 3rd. Some of the deer that show up in 4th were in the dark timber during 3rd. Its all a crapshoot.

Rich

Yes, there will be big bucks still alive during the 4th. That 2nd season isn't late enough for old bucks to be rut stupid until maybe the last few days (maybe) and during the 3rd there are enough elk hunters to keep some of those big bucks hiding in heavy timber.
Some of the benefit to those 4th season hunts is the quality aspect of having to deal with far fewer hunters afield. The hunting itself will be a bit better I'd say than a 3rd, but the best part will be getting to hunt without a million elk hunters everywhere.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom