Guys that need help on hunts

Idahoron

Very Active Member
I am writing this for a couple of reasons. First I like to help people that are interested in hunting Idaho to come to Idaho. I have helped TON's of guys to find spots to hunt. If people are interested in an area I try to help. One thing I do let guys know is hunting is tough here right now. I don't care what some guys say Idaho's Moose, Antelope, Mule Deer and Elk are having a tough time in a lot of the units. In some cases wolves are to blame, some areas it is over hunting. Some might not want to admit it but that is true. Take unit 47 ML antelope. Unregulated archery hunting and a ML permit level of 75 has reduced this once fine unit into a unit that is not fit to draw in. Is there any there? Yes. IS there any big ones? I saw a BIG one this year killed there. Are most hunters happy with the hunt? Everyone I talked to was NOT happy with the numbers of hunters and the number of antelope seen. This area is WAY over hunted. If someone wants to know about this unit I tell it like I see it. If some guys don't like that that is fine. I tell them that last year the success on those 75 tags was 10%. That is right 7 animals were taken. I don't have a real high opinion on hunting in Idaho right now. That is MY opinion. If a guy asks for MY opinion you will get MY opinion. Other opinions may vary.

The second reason I am writing.
A guy posts a "help wanted" for hunting. Maybe the guy is in state or out of state it doesn't matter. If the guy has only a few posts I am leery of it. Ok blame me for black helicopters or what ever else I don't care. Here is why I am leery of it. Go to the winter range for mule deer in unit 45. Look at how many Native Americans are POUNDING bucks and bulls. Talk to CO?s in the Magic valley region about them if you don't know them PM me I will give you a contact for them. See what they have to say about the Native Americans hunting in our area. I am getting very skeptical about giving info for fear of it falling into the hands of Shoshone Bannock tribe members. Call me a racist if you want but I am seeing what is happening first hand. I won't give them any info. They are having a serious affect on the herd. I can see a day where if this type of slaughter goes on we will lose OUR hunting because of their OVER hunting.

I was only going to touch on two reasons but I just thought of another. Guys that don't report back and tell you how they did. They PM and ask questions, then you give a reply and they don't even say thank you. Not even letting a guy know how they did or saying thank you is a $hitty way to treat a guy that has just tried to help you. If a guy gives you info let him know how you did and thank him for the help even if you didn't do as well as you wanted to.
Just some things to think about. Ron

Just for reference - I'm a new guy. I'm white. My stalking toolbox contains a bent screwdriver and a rusty hammer, so I need all the help I can get...

Ron- Thanks for any help you provide for those of us who are new, or from out of state. I hardly ever post because i just read and learn, although I have been learning from this site for at least ten years. I just rarely have much insight to add.
I drew an area 30 elk tag this year- first time since 1968 ( they were three bucks back then) that I have had an Idaho elk tag. I got a little help from a resident, and was successful. So for that I am grateful. I'm originally from ID, and now that my kids are raised, I can afford to go back.
Thanks again- I appreciate your info!!!

I know I have recived some help on this board and I have always tried to thank the person that gave me the help and if I ever forgot to say thanks, please know that I truely did mean to thank you. Lately I have had alot on my plate, no job and an up coming major back surgery and having to figure out how I was going to come up with the money to pay bills and buy my monthly pain meds, when I have told some what and how much I take they are often shocked that I can even function with just all the morphine alone I take every day. So if I forgot to ever say thank you I am truely sorry and am saying thank you now. This is a great board with a lot of very nice and knowledgeful people on here. This is one of the best hunting boards on the internet. Have a good one my friends, stay safe and stay warm.
Chuck

Ron,I would like to say thanks for any help you gave anyone. I've been on a a lot of these hunting sites just to see people ask for help and have people laugh at them. I thought that's what these sights were for. To help out fellow hunters and to share our success stories. I also like the way you tell it the way it is. You can always sugar coat an area or make it sound better than what it really is but telling it the way it is will only help us see that something needs to be done;no matter what state your talking about.Good Job!

i will agree with idahoron a hundred percent and will add this to the pressure situation if i may. thanks to the people who like to chase animals especially in there winter ranges. pressure/added stress insure death and over all health of the herd. i have witnessed on more than one occasion a white pickup truck with matching shell chasing the elk and antelope just north of mountain home on winter range. even if they were just getting close so they could view them it is still unethical especially when there 20yards from them and a respectful looking hunter in a red pickup hiking his butt off for a good hunt and good kill was in view of them and his opportunity was blown by these idiots. numerous other occasions this year with quads and one high speed pickup pursuit after a doe. i believe these are also definitely affecting areas with easy access. as far as the natives, my wife is shashone paiutte a completely different tribe the resides on duck valley res in owyhee nv and even they have to buy a tag on there

sorry my post got cut in half... they have to buy a tag for there own res and believe that other tribes should have to buy tags and follow the seasons and rules also for the better of the herd. i don't care if they use a rifle in an archery season for one deer but 5or6 elk out of one herd at a time is over kill. and also thanks For everyone who helps a fellow outdoors enthusiast out after all we are all conservationists. thank you for hunting idaho in helping our local economy and herds to preserve for the future we only ask that you respect it. thanx

and I would also like to add a thanks to all the people that have helped. I have asked a few hunting questions not for spots, just questions in general and a few people were nice enough to help, and well others, they were just huge D****. So thanks to all of those who actually try to help out fellow hunters.

well ron i grew up in the magic valley and spent my child hood watching those big bucks in unit 45 and 52. a couple years back maye ten or so not exactly sure we started seeing these guys killing deer on the winter range way after any season. we called the fish cops mad as hell because they were only shooting monster deer. i dont want to play the blame game but someone tarted really maiking the area famous the all these guy showed and started shooting a bunch of big deer on the winter range. it is a bunch of ##### that these guys can do that to the deer there just make money because there checks dont buy enough booze. but on the subject of helping hunters out. i remember reading a post of yours telling a guy nonresident where to go hunting. it happened to be one of my favorite places to hunt, because we have had really good success with great deer there. granted it is a big area i wanted to jump through the computer. it takes alot of time and energy and money to find good places to hunt and idont beleive in just telling people where to go, there are certain instances when i make an exception but to tell some fat lazy guy where to go look for critter doesnt sit well. but thats my oppinion

I have rarely asked for advice on this forum, but keep coming back daily to check the new posts. Technically I am still new to the state as I have only been in state since September so I need to learn. This forum is how I gather most of my information. I sure as heck don't ask for specific spots but do ask that people be a little more specific than "drive 40 miles north and climb the steepest, nastiest hill you can find before daylight and glass". I knew hunting in 39 would be tough but after 53.7 miles on my feet and numerous climbs in altitudes of 7000-8000+ I saw nothing but does and forkhorns during 9 days of hunting. Being as I was TDY from 5 March through 2 September, I could not do any real good scouting before hunters started hitting the mountains. There may be some good deer there and I am sure not some fat lazy person asking for specific coordinates.

I will ask for advice when I need it, but most of all I am still looking for a good hunting partner(s). I have found it rather impossible as an officer to find hunting partners on base. Plenty of hunters, but most of them are enlisted folks and its kind of frowned upon for us to co-mingle. People here in town seem to not want to invite outsiders into their hunting parties and this is frustrating. I am willing to share costs and learn anything new, but all I need is people to go with. I've hunted by myself before and it sucks to haul out a deer, much less an elk, by yourself. What else can I do?

I lurk here and appreciate the contributions of others like Ron. I'll be looking for new hunting grounds at the southern part of 39 or 43 but doubt I'll ever ask a "where should I go?" question because I figure thats up to me to go look. I'll just study a map and look for an out of the way place that hopefully won't be hunted much and then go do some legwork. Still, it doesn't hurt to peek at what others are saying ...

Thanks for your post. I am new to Idaho and have struggled to find a place to go. I have been scared to ask anyone for help fearing that I would just get laughed at. Last season I just decided to go and see what I could find. I took off driving from Boise and ended up by deadwood res. I never saw anything and it was very discouraging. Hopefully this year will be better. I dont have a plan yet but I will just keep browsing the forums and see what I can come up with.

Ron i am not new to Idaho but new to inline muzzies...you helped me work up a load that fit my gun and I am forever grateful. Agree 100% about the affects of wolves, overhunting and just plain bad luck/management Idaho has had. Sad but true...hope to see it turn around in the next 10 years so my kids can have decent hunting when they are of age.

PW

Hi Ron,

I've been here at MM for a long time.
I've always tried to make posts that others will enjoy.
I've asked for help in places I've never been before and from sheer generosity had guys really help me out here on MM.
I still thank them and always try to give props to them in a post following the hunt.
I'm truly thankful to the guys that have gone out of their way to help me over the years.

It's been quite a few years since I've been hunting in Idaho.
What has my interest truly perked though is the possibility of hunting wolves there this year.
If and when the tags come out I may be here in the Idaho forum groveling for leads to wolf concentrations.
My son & I are just giddy hoping to do this hunt together.
Hope someone can lend us a hand when the time arises.
HH

Hunterharry, i've got a whole pack that needs to be thinned out.

contact me PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>Hunterharry, i've got a whole pack
>that needs to be thinned
>out.
>
>contact me PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PM SENT!

I mean, based on everything you read on the internet Idaho is overhunted and our deer and elk herds are suffering everywhere, but harvest success rates tell a different story. While I agree there are definitely some places that are struggling, there are still a lot of animals in this state and a lot of places that see very little hunting pressure

I mean, based on everything you read on the internet Idaho is overhunted and our deer and elk herds are suffering everywhere, but harvest success rates tell a different story. While I agree there are definitely some places that are struggling, there are still a lot of animals in this state and a lot of places that see very little hunting pressure
Thank you for your reply. I've been high and higher the past 2 weeks. Seeing great animals, both Elk and Deer. The story is the same over the years. It just isn't as easy for ME to get there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom