Hammer bullets

I run 127 grain hammers out of my 6.5. They a deadly... I have seen 3 elk killed with hammers in the 6.5 so far and all were 1 shot kills under 250 yards. I "hammered" a goat at 400 yards last fall. Shattered both shoulders and still passed thru. Left an exit hole the size of my fist. I know you are asking about 7mm, if the 127 gr in 6.5 is deadly as sin.... i cant imagine how hard 155 gr hammers hit outta that 7mm. I say try it out. Load developement was silly easy as well.

Muzz,
I've only used the 124gr in my 6.5 x 280 AI at 3259 fps and it worked to perfection on a blocky old aoudad ram at long-ish range.
PCPython's endorsement is about as close to what you're asking for as it gets
There's zero reason it wouldn't work great in a 7mm mag on elk!
best, Zeke

Steve just got back from Africa. He killed several animals with a Marlin 336 .30-30 and a 143 grain bullet. He also used a .17 Hornet on a couple. Brian, his partner in Hammer, used a .270 Sherman and a 6mm Creedmoor. Shows how deadly they are. mtmuley

Steve just got back from Africa. He killed several animals with a Marlin 336 .30-30 and a 143 grain bullet. He also used a .17 Hornet on a couple. Brian, his partner in Hammer, used a .270 Sherman and a 6mm Creedmoor. Shows how deadly they are. mtmuley
what does??...shooting Dik Dik's??

My twist is a 1-9.5 sako, so I need to get the right bullet for that twist
That seems like a slow twist for a 7mm Rem mag. Not sure though. My 280 ai has a 1:8.4. I'm thinking you'll be stuck using a 150 gr or lighter hammer bullet. I just bought some 143 and 155 gr Hammer hunters to try in my 280 ai. If I can get the 143 gr Hammers to shoot 1/2 MOA or less at 3100 fps I'll be pretty happy!!

Ya it’s slow. It’s a sako , going to shoot the 131 gr hammer. Hope I can get it to shoot

Out of all the equipment and gear we spend thousands of dollars on, bullet cost is hardly a concern. At least for me. mtmuley

I know you have an affinity for hammer bullets. But they don't kill stuff any deader than other bullets that are a fraction of the cost.
The only thing they have going for them right now is that they seem to be fairly available.
To each there own though. if you want to spend over a buck a bullet. Knock your self out.

Last edited:
I know you have an affinity for hammer bullets. But they don't kill stuff any deader than other bullets that are a fraction of the cost.
The only thing they have going for them right now is that they seem to be fairly available.
To each there own though. if you want to spend over a buck a bullet. Knock your self out.
My hunting rifle burns nearly 100 grains of powder every time I pull the trigger. A buck a bullet really isn't much. And you are right. Nothing they make is ever out of stock. mtmuley

“The only thing they have going for them right now is that they seem to be fairly available.“

Uh. That is saying a LOT right now.

I don’t reload and I just bought 2– 20 shell boxes of finished ammo with a Premium bullet for $45 each and that is the best deal I have seen in awhile.

“The only thing they have going for them right now is that they seem to be fairly available.“

Uh. That is saying a LOT right now.

I don’t reload and I just bought 2– 20 shell boxes of finished ammo with a Premium bullet for $45 each and that is the best deal I have seen in awhile.
I'm glad I'm not in that boat.

My grand children will be shooting critters with bullets, powder and primers I bought years ago for pennies on the dollar of today's prices.

Good for you. But that hindsight doesn’t help those looking for products today.

I don’t reload because I don’t shoot a lot other than hunting. So a couple boxes of ammo lasts me several years. But lots of guys who like to shoot just to shoot are having trouble finding components right now.

Personally I think once we get Covid in the mirror things will get a lot better. I am not doom and gloom about who is president as the cause of this. The shortage isn’t just in ammo components. Have you tried to buy a washing machine lately? And as a veterinarian, I am having trouble getting meds that have been easy to get until this year. And when you can get them, the price is sky high. Not something I can stock up on like bullets

I'm a big fan of Hammer Bullets and their terminal performance seems to be as good as it gets.
I'm sure those 131's will do well on your elk and every one I have tried shoots well in my rifles.
Good luck muzz

I'm a big fan of Hammer Bullets and their terminal performance seems to be as good as it gets.
I'm sure those 131's will do well on your elk and every one I have tried shoots well in my rifles.
Good luck muzz
Thanks, I hope I can get them to shoot good!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom