HAMS Hunts... No Scopes...

just_a_hunter

FYI to those of you interested. Could be a gamechanger/deal breaker.

None of your weapons can have a scope attached. That is not clear at all in the 2020 Application Guidebook. I looked it up and found this.

R657-5-48. Handgun-Archery-Muzzleloader-Shotgun-Only Hunt.

(1) The division may establish Handgun-Archery-Muzzleloader-Shotgun-Only hunts for any big gamespecies.

(2) An individual may only use the following weapons on a handgun-archery-muzzleloader-shotgun-only hunt:

(a) a legal handgun for the species being hunted, consistent with R657-5-9 and Subsection (5), with no attached scope;

(b) legal archery equipment consistent with R657-5-11;

(c) a legal muzzleloader consistent with R657-5-10, with no attached scope; or

(d) a legal shotgun consistent with R657-5-8, with no attached scope.

(3) A person who has obtained a Handgun-Archery-Muzzleloader-Shotgun-Only permit may take one animal of the big game species identified on the permit.

(4) A person who has obtained a Handgun-Archery-Muzzleloader-Shotgun-Only permit may only hunt under that permit during the season dates and within the boundaries identified on the permit and in the guidebooks of the Wildlife Board for taking big game.

(5) In addition to the requirements in R657-5-9, a handgun used to take a big game animal in a Handgun-Archery-Muzzleloader-Shotgun-Only hunt must:

(a) have no more than a single barrel 15 inches or less in length, including the chamber;

(b) have a single rear handgrip without any form of a:

(i) fixed, detachable, or collapsible buttstock;

(ii) apparatus or extension behind the rear grip capable of being used to steady the handgun against the body while firing; or

(iii) vertical foregrip; and

(c) be no more than 24 inches in overall length.

(6) A Handgun-Archery-Muzzleloader-Shotgun-Only hunt is not a centerfire rifle hunt for purposes of Section 23-20-31 or R657-5-49.

Just an FYI,

Todd

Last edited:
I saw that too, which doesn't bother me to much. I'm more afraid that they will give out so few permits this year that it will be impossible to draw with a friend. My buddy & I have 18 points and are considering it, just wish they would have at least listed a proposed number of permits. If there is only 1 or 2 for NR then we're out of luck. Jody

I'm willing to bet there will be no more than 1 NR tag for each unit. maybe 2 for the Kaparowitz and Summit Units. I shoot a Hawken so I'm not bothered by it either. I only have 14 points and have already settled into the fact I am not going to draw but I'm going to give it hell anyway. Knowing the trend for long range hunting lately, and Utah's liberal muzzleloader rules for the general muzzy hunt, there will be 10,000 people apply because of the season dates then be mad when they learn they can't use a 5.5-20 nightforce on their 500 yard muzzy for the hunt then sue Utah because they didn't publish that little fact in the application guidebook. Good luck to you and your buddy.

Most of the general units have late season muzzy hunts now, and I'll bet you and your buddy have better odds to score one of those tags and have a chance at an okay buck, but I doubt it will be anything like the HAMS tags or worth 18 points. The camp/hunt alone might be worth it though. The more I think about it the more I'm actually leaning that route myself, though I doubt many of those hunts will have more than 1 or two NR tags themselves.

I too wish Utah would decide the tag numbers before the deadline like they used to. Grrrr….

Todd

This year the application deadline is March 5th.
Last year, the tag numbers were published on March 9th!
FOUR DAYS LATER!
I spoke to several division employees about this begging them to adjust the process timing slightly to allow those numbers release before the deadline.
I spoke about this in the RAC meetings as well.

the division said they are trying to make that happen with new technology called e-tagging which will expedite the process enough to get those numbers released earlier.
But who knows when that will happen.
I too want to make a better educated decision in regard to my application and this information is a major missing part of the equation.
Utah can do better and I hope this happens soon.
Good luck to all in the draws.

I expect these HAMS hunts to be a hot commodity

I’m not applying for the HAMS hunt this year, I might at some point apply for it, if it’s for a unit or species that I’m interested in. But if I ever do draw, I’ll be purchasing a rifled barrel 20 gauge automatic shotgun with an extension tube on the magazine! I’ll bet in 12+ shots I could get one tracked down and eventually hit it! If you can’t shoot good, shoot a lot!

The 2020 Application Guide Book is like quicksand. When did they stop including maps for OIL hunts? Is the "Hunt Planner" reliable? Why does it say "Boundary Name: Fillmore, Oak Creek (cougar)" when I cursor over RMBHS units?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom