Handling Velvet?

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
A couple of years ago, TN started a late August "velvet" buck weekend hunt. This is the first time I've been able to go. If I'm lucky enough to get a buck in velvet, what do I do differently about handling him? Say, for a DIY euro, or for a shoulder mount?

I don't know what kind of solution Eastman is using but I've injected formaldehyde into velvet horns and let the blood run out of the skull. Same thing only I've never painted it on the horns.
I have a giant velvet Caribou that came out perfect that way, but you need to inject as soon after the kill as you can. Best of luck

Denatured alcohol but in reverse of what he did in the video start at each tine slit the bases of the horns and watch that you don’t bubble the velvet gently inject and should work great.

I wanted a euro with velvet, so I capped the deer and treated the antlers with velvet tan. I cleaned up the skull and reattached them, filled in the seams with epoxy sculpt and painted white. You can't tell the cap is reattached unless you're really looking.

I have "4 in 1" tanning solution from Bess Maid products out of Louisianna, recommended by my taxi. It is a spray on velvet tanning solution.
Last year's buck was beautiful velvet, just starting to peel from top on G2. by the time i caped and handled head while quartering, it was already too far gone. that was second day of MZ season. I will bring spray bottle of velvet tan this year!

Handle the horns the least amount possible as it can cause blood veins to collapse making it more difficult to drain fluid and inject (if that is how you are going to preserve).

Thanks guys!
Unfortunately, no luck this weekend. But after reading these, I'll be prepared in the field next year.

You guys make it this too difficult. There is a product that has been on the market for a few years called VelvaLok. It’s made by a company called Velvet Antler Technologies. They make a simple “spray and walk away” velvet preservation that does not require any injecting, nasty cancer-causing formaldehyde, no poking tips, cutting into the velvet, or freeze drying. For $29.99 on their website, or on Matuska Taxidermies website, you can’t go wrong. It is 100x better than that Velvet Tan garbage. These guys have done thousands of deer, elk, moose and caribou with astonishing results. They have a website and an instagram you can see pics and videos. I use this on all my velvet animals and they are 100% preserved in a matter of days - not months.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom