Handmade / Custom Knives ??

lve2143

Very Active Member
I may be dead wrong, but I bet there is more than one
fellow on here that builds knives. If so, I wish you'd
share some pictures of your craft with us. I'm facinated
with folks that are talented enough to do so.
I don't think I'm the only one on here that would love
to look at your work.

Larry

Larry,

Rattle RELH's cage. I believe he's the master knife maker in the crowd.

JB

Larry;

I have not learned how to post photos on this site, so I sent you a email via Kodak easyshare with 4 photos of hunting knives that I recently made. I sell them locally at gunshows and do custom orders for hunters in my area. You will be surprised how many hunters want their elk horn turned into a custom knife for them or their child.
If you want you can post the photos. One day I will learn how to do it myself.

RELH

>Larry;
>
> I have not learned
>how to post photos on
>this site, so I sent
>you a email via Kodak
>easyshare with 4 photos of
>hunting knives that I recently
>made. I sell them locally
>at gunshows and do custom
>orders for hunters in my
>area. You will be surprised
>how many hunters want their
>elk horn turned into a
>custom knife for them or
>their child.
> If you want
>you can post the photos.
>One day I will learn
>how to do it myself.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>RELH

Step 1. Go here.-----> http://tinypic.com/
Step 2. click "Browse"
Step 3. locate the picture on your computer and click "open"
Step 4. Click "upload image"
Step 5. Right click the text that is under this heading "IMG Link: for forums and bulletin boards" and select "copy"
Step 6. Right click and paste that code into your reply here on MM. Viola! You are now a pic posting whore like me!!! Hope that helps...

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

RELH,
You're a computer GURU compared to me.
Let me get back with you. May have to depend
on good'ol 257Tony to help out. He's my go-to
computer guy. I'd like for them to be on the site
so everyone can admire.
Larry

Tony;

I am not a computer guru as Larry thinks. So I sent you a set of photos via email. between the two of you, they may get posted.
After looking at the photos, you might think this old retired cop may have a wee bit of talent after all. That means I had to pick up a hobby in order to keep from being underfoot after retirement. My wife put a sterio, fridge, and air condition in my shop, she said the "cot" is next.
I also would be interested in seeing other knives made by MM members. I love the hobby and meeting other makers. I had a guy in my shop yesterday that wanted to learn how to use the power equitment that I use and converting over to using D-2,& S30V steel from the O-1 carbon steel he used. He bought over a copy of a "Bo" Randall model #1 knife that he made by hand, even hand filed it. That knife was the equal of any I have seen. He would have no problem selling it for 250-300 bucks.

RELH

RELH

RELH,

Thanks a ton. I was just kidding about the computer
guru stuff. We'll see if Tony get's the pictures up.
He's usually the master on that. Thanks a bunch, I'm
like you, I'd like to see other's stuff as well.
lrv

Very impressive handiwork Robert!! I would trade my "computer hacking skills" for knife making skills any day!!

47clbvb.jpg

42kjk2x.jpg

I will take the Bowie knife!!

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

Tony;

Thanks for the posting, I do owe you, but the bowie style fighter is gone. I traded it at the last gun show for a low wall 22 LR rifle for my 9 year old Granddaughter. I had another just like it, but it sold at the same show.
I have lucked out and gotten to where my hobby has more then paid for itself and keeps me out of trouble with the Mrs.

RELH

Thanks for putting that up Tony.
Robert, That is OUTSTANDING. Man, those are
some pretty knives. Like I said in the original post,
I'm facinated with craftsmen that can do this kind of
work, and yours looks great.
Thanks for sharing them.

Larry

I like the Damascus steel. Beautiful knives.

There are only two types of people - The Hunters and the hunted,
I hunt.
Alchase

Robert,
What type of wood on the handle of that first knife in the picture above?? Beautiful knives.

I bought a sheath knife that was handmade up in Alaska, saw a small Custom Knife makers shop between Soldotna and Seward back in 1984, bought it as the handle was longer than most and fit my hand better, the wood was Hickory if memory serves me right.

Brian

Brian;

The wood on the first knife is mexican cocobolo wood. I have a problem keeping any knife with that wood, everybody loves it. You must have a big hand like me, size 13-14 ring. I have to be careful and not make the knife handle to where it fits me because it will be too big for 80% of my customers.
Hickory is a excellant wood for a knife handle, very tough and durable and is great on a using knife. That cocobolo is also a very tough, hard dense wood. I get mine off of several sellers on ebay and I am picky about the color I want.
The other "main" wood that I use is old growth redwood burl that I get from a guy in Fort Bragg on the coast. He allows me to hand select what I want. It is normally too soft for knife handles. I send it out to be stabilized by a commercial shop. It comes back hard as oak and will not shrink.
you were smart to get a knife that was comfortable in your hand. spend one hour dressing out game with a un-comfortable fitting knife is tiresome to the hand.
Thanks to everyone for the comments, even old farts like a pat on the back once and awhile.

RELH

good lookers... I just bought two customs Chris Reeves...
not skinner though more tach's special ops types!!
I sorda collect them!
higher tech the better for me but still have an eye for one of a kind-custom skinners!
jack

I want one. Do you have a selection of designs to choose from? How do customers select what they want ?

JB

Robert,

I'm with D13er, let us know how we can get one,
order one, whatever you like to do. We would be
much appreciative. Thanks again.

Larry

I tend to agree with Rackmaster on this one. I think you can never have too many knives, LOL.
For a work knife I like the SOG Seal or SOG SealPup, also use a nice Browing, I do not much care for folding knives.
Knives like these are works of art.

I hunt.
Alchase

Hey there,
I don't mean to but in, But I have been making knives for a little over 3 years. I mostly use damascus steel and other high carbon steels(1095,5160etc.)these steels if heat treated right will hold a razor sharp edge for a very long time. For the handles I use a lot of different stuff. Wooly Mammoth tusk and tooth is probly the most popular, stag, lots of horn material,coral,corian,mincarta,nickel silver,brass, lots of different types of wood, just about any thing you've seen any where else. I'm kinda new to this sight so if I can figure out how to post some pictures I will. You can email me At [email protected]. If anybody has any questions feel free to email me anytime.
Thanks Shane

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-07 AT 03:29PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-07 AT 03:26?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-07 AT 03:15?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-07 AT 03:06?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-07 AT 03:01?PM (MST)

I think maybe I figured out the picture thing. These are knives all made in 2006 by me. let me know if you have any questions Thanks shane
[email protected]

45c7a91a49da1c4f.jpg

45c7acf60c3dd0f9.jpg

45c7ad76126e20f1.jpg

45c7ada8173d0041.jpg

45c7adee1ab16f1a.jpg

45c7ae231d9fae12.jpg

45c7ae60208272a4.jpg

45c7aeb8263c5d6e.jpg

45c7aef7295a9c83.jpg

Shane,

Looks like you have it figured out OK, nice knives there. I just got some of these pictures uploaded and came here and you already had them posted, no big deal.

Brian

Hey Brian,
sorry hope I diddn't cause you any trouble. Thanks for the help.
Shane

Zigga;

I am familar with Skyblue knives. He is a very good maker and his knives are top notch. He uses ATS-34 steel, and I think he may also use some S30V now.
I use D-2 and S30V in my knives. S30V is considered by some makers as being the new "supersteel" in stainless steel. It is the first steel that was made specificaly for knife blades after knifemakers informed Crucible Steel what they wanted in a knife steel.
If you visit the Skyblue site, you will notice that his prices for hunters & skinners start out at 250.00 to 300.00. Most good makers that do this for a living are in that ballpark for prices and they are worth every penny.
I wanted to do this as a part time business, it does not supply the beans on the table, and I wanted to reach customers that are unwilling to pay 250-300 bucks for a custom knife. I have kept my prices from 125-150 bucks for my hunters & skinners.
I also offer a lifetime warranty, does not cover abuse, and lifetime sharping and a leather sheath is included. My knives are heat treated in house and every blade is tested for final hardness of 60-61 RC.
I enjoy making knives and I hope to see them in the field being used, but I have made quite a few that ended up in display cases of a knife collector.
I'm glad to see another knife making member of this forum posting pics, now we need more. Even if it is only one knife you made for yourself, POST IT, we want to see it. NO BESS! We do not need a photo of that overlong bayonet you carry at the end of your TUNEUP 50 cal.
RELH

Hey RELH,
I am looking to purchase a new knife grinder. I have been looking at the bader grinders. Just curios if maybe you would tell me what kind you use? Nice looking knives!
Thanks Shane

Shane,
Great looking work. Glad you shared it with us.
You guys are so talented, you piss me off............
In the best of ways..........
Larry

Shane;

I am also looking at purchasing a Bader 8 inch grinder. It will increase my production rate, but I do not like the darn price of $1,350.00 for one.
I use a Murray 8 inch drum since I prefer a hollow grind over a flat grind. After I learned to hollow grind, I had a more experienced knife maker tell me that hollow grinding is harder to learn.
I have lucked out and been able to keep my shop equitment cost down by using some of the equitment that I had for gunsmithing. As for my grinder, I have a total cost of about 200 bucks in it and I can knock out a hollow grind in about 15-20 minutes on 1/8 stock. that darn 3/16 D-2 for my fighters takes about twice as long because it will work harden from the heat. I use belts twice as fast on them.
you boys using carbon steel have it made when it comes to grinding steel. I started with O-1, but most guys in my area want knives that resist rusting so I switched to D-2 & S30V. that way I can get the rust resistance, and the high hardness of carbon steel for edge retention. Only draw back, is the price for the steel.

RELH

Founder, I have an idea, It would be really cool to have a forum for stuff like this. Hand made tools, skins, woodwork, paintings, ect.. all hunting related. I bet there are many craftspersons and artists among the MM crowd.

I hunt.
Alchase

Geez! Talk about craftmanship!

RELH, when can I place an order? Shane? I have never seen handmade knives, that is incredible work. You each have your own unique style.

RELH,

I am serious. If you wanted to make me a 9" or so fixed blade hunting knife with that coco(?) wood, I would buy one.

Those knives are nice! Shane, your knives are also great. I love what you did with the steel.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom