Happy Days!

COPLAINSHNTR

Well after a long 13 year wait I have successfully drawn a unit 61 first rifle bull tag!! Having hunted the unit before I am extremely excited to get over there and start scouting. A good buddy of mine also drew so it should be exciting. I plan on starting to scout in late July as my sons are both in 4-H and getting away from home with as many chores as we have will be next to impossible, steers, cows & calves and pigs take priority until fair is over. One of my best friends drew a bear tag this year so I plan on hunting with him in September to assist with the hunt and also do some more scouting prior to my season opener. Hopefully I can share this hunt with you guys through here with pictures of scouting and also the hunt!! Stay tuned.

I think you're right Fred, looking down into the Tabeguache. Right on top of the road before the road drops down and dead ends.

Last edited:
I think you're right Fred, looking down into the Tabeguache. Right on top of the road before the road drops down and dead ends.
Tim, I was thinking closer to Windy Point. We shot two cows down there last third season. How ya doing?

BeanMan,
You are spot on!
[/QU
Well after a long 13 year wait I have successfully drawn a unit 61 first rifle bull tag!! Having hunted the unit before I am extremely excited to get over there and start scouting. A good buddy of mine also drew so it should be exciting. I plan on starting to scout in late July as my sons are both in 4-H and getting away from home with as many chores as we have will be next to impossible, steers, cows & calves and pigs take priority until fair is over. One of my best friends drew a bear tag this year so I plan on hunting with him in September to assist with the hunt and also do some more scouting prior to my season opener. Hopefully I can share this hunt with you guys through here with pictures of scouting and also the hunt!! Stay tuned.
OTE]
Congratulations ? on finally getting the tag you wanted !!! Best of luck & post photos ! I’ve got 15 points & hope to get a 1 st rifle tag next year or after that. Make it count & get a whopper bull & post photos ! Most of all enjoy & have fun !! Jerry Gold ?? Ft Collins, Co

Have a great hunt & post photos of your hunt & the big bull — & enjoy the hunt to the max !!
Congratulations ? for hanging in there !
Jerry Gold ??? Ft Collins, Co

Congratulations! Please let us know how it goes!!!! Me and my buddy put in for 4th season with 9 points and didn’t draw so I’m hoping next year! You have to be stoked.

Look forward to update on success.

I plan to hunt that unit 5 different times between my 3 sons, wife and myself.

Hunted it twice for deer and once for elk in the past already.

Fun hunt and you will see deer, elk and bear.

Well with the busy summer that we normally have I was finally able to make it over to do some scouting. My goal for this trip was to look at quite a bit of new area on the south end and hopefully find some water with the drought our state is currently in. We seen a lot of elk, probably close to 40 cows and 13 bulls and lots of water. I was worried the water would be scarce but was able to find quite a bit. The smoke from the fires was something else and made glassing extremely hard in low light, and I forgot my phone scope so that was a bummer. I was able to take my youngest son with me and he enjoyed riding around in the buggy and glassing for elk. Sorry I wasn't able to get great pictures, maybe next time. Out of the 13 bulls we found, 2 were shooters, I would say low 300's. October just cant get here fast enough!! Stay tuned.
IMG_4391 (2).jpg
IMG_4391.jpg
IMG_4394.jpg
IMG_4396.jpg
IMG_4399.jpg
IMG_4401.jpg
IMG_4405.jpg

Well with the busy summer that we normally have I was finally able to make it over to do some scouting. My goal for this trip was to look at quite a bit of new area on the south end and hopefully find some water with the drought our state is currently in. We seen a lot of elk, probably close to 40 cows and 13 bulls and lots of water. I was worried the water would be scarce but was able to find quite a bit. The smoke from the fires was something else and made glassing extremely hard in low light, and I forgot my phone scope so that was a bummer. I was able to take my youngest son with me and he enjoyed riding around in the buggy and glassing for elk. Sorry I wasn't able to get great pictures, maybe next time. Out of the 13 bulls we found, 2 were shooters, I would say low 300's. October just cant get here fast enough!! Stay tuned.View attachment 11554View attachment 11555View attachment 11556View attachment 11557View attachment 11558View attachment 11559View attachment 11560
Wow ! Great photos ! Congratulations ? big time ! Take great notes for those of us wanting to hunt 61 in the future - ??? ! I’ll be quizzing you next winter on how your hunt went. Best of luck , have FUN, kill a monster bull & post lots of photos ! Jerry Gold in Ft Collins , Co ???

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom