Hard to imagine

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
Just getting ready to embark on an Elk trip with 10° night time lows and I was shivering going out for a few minutes tonite. What was I thinking ? Well, here's to good luck and a safe trip...The camaraderie of a good hunting partner and the beautiful nature will be awesome and bringing home some tasty meat will be worth it all though. I thought I was acclimatized after living here and being ok every year bit the cold has been hitting me hard this year. Anyone else going out this month I'm looking to hear from you whether it is cold where you are going or not going to be cold. Cheers!! ???

Just got finished on a hunt this past week and 40# cylinders and firewood were of high value. Along with my silk longjohns. Had mornings in single digests until noon. Awesome hunt but cold mornings....

Just got finished on a hunt this past week and 40# cylinders and firewood were of high value. Along with my silk longjohns. Had mornings in single digests until noon. Awesome hunt but cold mornings....
I'm how did you do ? Did you have a big stove to heat ? 40 lb cylinders is alot. I'm taking a 20 and 8 -1 lb bottles. I think that should get me through 3 to four days of heat. I won't be using the heat in the day, just 12 or so hours a nite.

Had my wife along so propane was necessary. Lmao. Woodstove in the camp tent that we refilled 2x a day with appropriate sized wood. 20# made it 4 days in the camper for momma. We really rough it.

Wish we would have had better cameras since we found numerous bull elk herds upto 50+ animals several 350 bulls and 1-200 inch deer. And we had cow tags. Amazing sights! Cold sure gets the critters moving. Including me.

Good Luck & Be Careful in Your travels DM!

You Might Be Bringing Some Warmth!:D

It's 20 Degree's This Morning!

It's Been 3-7 Degrees Most Mornings for a While!

That Means it's Warming Up!:D

Best Of Luck on Your Hunt!

Had a few frozen whiskers this particular morning. Didn’t even see anything.
862B3B38-E94A-4C0F-92C4-03DC1DB667B2.jpeg

Just got done with my Dads Desert Sheep 2 weeks ago near Fallon,NV with nighttime lows in the teens. Then went on my daughters late Bull in Northeastern NV last weekend. Burned a 5 gallon cylinder in a night and a half with catalytic and furnace going in trailer. Glad she got it done quick. Heading out on my son’s youth Deer in Northeast NV next weekend with highs in the 20’s. I feel your pain DM! Think I’ll put in for September hunts next year but I say that every year!? Best of luck to you! Hope my son tags out fast. He has until January 1.

Good luck Deermadness! Looking forward to your report! I wish I was out there somewhere looking at critters…but I’ll live vicariously through the rest who are out.

Stay safe!

We had single digits every morning, highs right around freezing. That was about this time last month at nearly 10,000'. I was alone in camp for about 3 days; just like it should be with peace and solitude. Since CO pushed the 3rd seasons a bit later, the colder weather and snow has been pretty good for getting elk and deer moving.

Good Luck & Be Careful in Your travels DM!

You Might Be Bringing Some Warmth!:D

It's 20 Degree's This Morning!

It's Been 3-7 Degrees Most Mornings for a While!

That Means it's Warming Up!:D

Best Of Luck on Your Hunt!
Thanks Bob, I will leave at noon when temps are up. It is going to start snowing here about 10 am. That's OK I have a few things to do. Going to American Fork for the night then off early am.
I hope it stays warmer. I have around 27# fuel all together. Going to use it every minute I'm in the Tent unless it gets too warm. Thanks for the wishes, maybe we will cross paths.

Just got done with my Dads Desert Sheep 2 weeks ago near Fallon,NV with nighttime lows in the teens. Then went on my daughters late Bull in Northeastern NV last weekend. Burned a 5 gallon cylinder in a night and a half with catalytic and furnace going in trailer. Glad she got it done quick. Heading out on my son’s youth Deer in Northeast NV next weekend with highs in the 20’s. I feel your pain DM! Think I’ll put in for September hunts next year but I say that every year!? Best of luck to you! Hope my son tags out fast. He has until January 1.
Trailers use alot. And mine uses electricity for furnace. I don't want to tow at 9 mpg.

Sounds like a lot of you guys run your heat all night. Ive never really understood that. If you have a good bag why do you need the heat on? I’ll run a stove for about 20/30 minutes before I crawl in the sack and then about the same before I get out of it. You can save some fuel/wood that way

I kind of wish we lived in a spot where we had snow and cold temps, but I've lived so long in shirt-sleeve weather I'm not sure how I'd handle it. Nice though when hunting and processing game in the field!!

Sounds like a lot of you guys run your heat all night. Ive never really understood that. If you have a good bag why do you need the heat on? I’ll run a stove for about 20/30 minutes before I crawl in the sack and then about the same before I get out of it. You can save some fuel/wood that way
I run the trailer heat for the two hours I am back at camp cooking dinner and prepping for the next day and the hour in the morning when I wake up. Like you said, throw a few extra blankets on at night. I actually like the cooler temps for sleeping. Hard to cool off if the trailer gets too warm at night.

A little different in a wall tent though.

The Mrs hangs back at camp while I go on my days quest. She does what she does at camp (walks, read a book, cooks, games, drinks.) and I like her coming along which means I gotta keep her communal areas warm which is canvas tent and camper. She is quite capable to care for herself and my hunting buddies know this too since she helps cook, rib the guys like no other, and sets a welcoming atmosphere with a smile and cocktail in hand when everyone returns to camp. Heat is cheap for what she brings. So if it takes some extra propane or wood cutting the so be it. BTW she's kinda cute and does help keep me warm at night too.... 0⃣ degree Montana sleeping bag and all. Lmao!!

The Mrs hangs back at camp while I go on my days quest. She does what she does at camp (walks, read a book, cooks, games, drinks.) and I like her coming along which means I gotta keep her communal areas warm which is canvas tent and camper. She is quite capable to care for herself and my hunting buddies know this too since she helps cook, rib the guys like no other, and sets a welcoming atmosphere with a smile and cocktail in hand when everyone returns to camp. Heat is cheap for what she brings. So if it takes some extra propane or wood cutting the so be it. BTW she's kinda cute and does help keep me warm at night too.... 0⃣ degree Montana sleeping bag and all. Lmao!!
Pics of the cute wife, or it didn't happen.

Well JP, I probably have enough bedding and I may do that. I don't heat the bedroom at home and it gets pretty cold sometimes. I'm not as fat as I was a year ago. Maybe that's why..

Looks like we will be going past Strawberry in a storm tomorrow am. Will be a bummer to go slow from there to Duschesne. Made it to American Fork and survived the SLC driving races. Family here so is a place to sack out tonite.

Made it home. Mother Nature raised havoc and another front moving in tomorrow so we got out of Dodge. Woke up to 7 or 8 " of snow this morning.

didn't you just leave?
We got there Monday early and glassed all the canyons we could walk to. Never saw and elk but lots of deer. But the snow got too deep waking up to 8" . I bought chains for my truck but we had a steep hill to get out of there. It was 300 bucks of fuel though being stuck isn't something you want to have happen. There wasn't any others there as they all had left. There had been people there and plenty of vehicle tracks when we arrived there. It was great to renew the friendship with my cousin though. When the snow started Monday evening we discussed our options and talked half the night.
I was grateful I have the Kodiak tent and it stands up to anything. Usually the Books don't get much snow as it hits Vernal and the mountains to the North but this time it hit the Books hard. Another storm is coming there today and tomorrow. Going up Provo Canyon and Strawberry the traffic was 20 to 35 mph and hard to see where we were on the road.

Can see the snow build on the horizon now. To bad ya had to leave early due to the snow but man we need the moisture in our area.

Can see the snow build on the horizon now. To bad ya had to leave early due to the snow but man we need the moisture in our area.
I agree with that tailchaisers. We all need moisture in the west and your area more than most. We can't cry over a trip that doesn't work out if no one gets hurt, the truck motor didn't blow up, didn't get speeding tickets etc, lol.

Hunting Idaho one year and we were camped down in a hole at the end of a 4X4 road. It started snowing hard about dark. It kept coming down and around midnight we got up and broke camp and just barely made it out in time. If we had waited another hour our truck would have spent the winter there.

Back…… in my previous life, I’ve ridden the horses down, past pickup trucks…… abandon, jammed between aspens, over the edge, parked in three feet of snow and snowing, running board deep in mud snow and rocks, high centered on various items, wrapped in barded-wire. Most all pointing up hill, but going down hill.

Did I mention I helped put a few of them there……?

Back…… in my previous life, I’ve ridden the horses down, past pickup trucks…… abandon, jammed between aspens, over the edge, parked in three feet of snow and snowing, running board deep in mud snow and rocks, high centered on various items, wrapped in barded-wire. Most all pointing up hill, but going down hill.

Did I mention I helped put a few of them there……?
Sounds like you had some trespassers.

Sounds like you had some trespassers.
When you’re wadd’en a fence up, with a pickup, trespassing is not the first thing on your mind, but I guess after the pandemonium comes to a stop……… technically (if we can call that technical) they/we were trespassers.

This year We left SD around 2 AM it started to snow around10 Am chased us all the way back to Utah area.

It was funny afterwards. We had a cooking tent set up and before the snow there was lots of great mud. We took out shoes off to heat up the Beef Stew I made. Out feet got cold so after eating We went to my Kodiak tent to talk. I started up the Buddy Heater and it was about 630 pm. By the time I got in my heavy old sleeping bag my feet were still cold so I tried out my new heated socks. I didn't feel any heat for awhile and then when I did my feet started itching horribly so I took off the socks and let them lay by my feet in the bag. They were like heaters and the feet end of my bag was near the Buddy Heater also.
When I had to go outside to pee the snow would stick to my boots and so I put a garbage bag in tbe tent to let them melt off. Everything you did had to be careful or you would get water puddles on tent floor. I know, the only thing I forgot was a rug. I wouldn't have been able to stand being in a backpacking tent. Maybe town hunts aren't that bad, lol.

Did he pay???
Yes, I paid last time and he insisted. Elk is a great guy and down to earth. Roosevelt is a slow pace ni e community as far as I saw. What a shock it is to drive through SLC after leaving the Ute Basin. I saw cars following other cars at the most 8 or 9 feet apart at 70mph.

Yes, I paid last time and he insisted. Elk is a great guy and down to earth. Roosevelt is a slow pace ni e community as far as I saw. What a shock it is to drive through SLC after leaving the Ute Basin. I saw cars following other cars at the most 8 or 9 feet apart at 70mph.
I agree, he is a great guy. Not what most are expecting from his Monster Muley persona, no way, shape or forum. I’ll share a front seat and a long drive with Bess anytime, anywhere.

And……. he don’t drink your Dew!

I had a friend who owned a carpet store and he saved the old carpet he removed before installing the new carpet. I always grabbed a piece to use as a floor in the wall tent. It made a huge difference. We didn't worry about getting it dirty because it was Idaho, so we just rolled it up nice and neat then threw it over the bank when we were done. :). No, we took it to the dump when we got home.

Nobody leaves the tent to pee. That's what pee bottles are for.

Why did they leave so much room between cars and why were they going so slowly??? Seems silly to take all that time driving and waste all that space!

Zeke

It was funny afterwards. We had a cooking tent set up and before the snow there was lots of great mud. We took out shoes off to heat up the Beef Stew I made. Out feet got cold so after eating We went to my Kodiak tent to talk. I started up the Buddy Heater and it was about 630 pm. By the time I got in my heavy old sleeping bag my feet were still cold so I tried out my new heated socks. I didn't feel any heat for awhile and then when I did my feet started itching horribly so I took off the socks and let them lay by my feet in the bag. They were like heaters and the feet end of my bag was near the Buddy Heater also.
When I had to go outside to pee the snow would stick to my boots and so I put a garbage bag in tbe tent to let them melt off. Everything you did had to be careful or you would get water puddles on tent floor. I know, the only thing I forgot was a rug. I wouldn't have been able to stand being in a backpacking tent. Maybe town hunts aren't that bad, lol.
Truck floor mat in a pinch if you forget your rug.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom