Hardcore boots

C

coonhound40

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-08 AT 06:46PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-08 AT 06:36?PM (MST)

I've been using the Meindl Mountain hunters for a few years and loved them but they recently changed the design and I hate the new tongue, it really bites the top of your foot.

I thought I might try the Lowa Sheep hunters or the Meindl Alaska hunters but I also ran across these? The Scarpa Liskamm, they are a great looking boot about the same price as the Lowa, anyone ever use them?

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/pr...earchResults&pf_id=10033351&spoffset=2&s_id=0
47d334cc6c347848.jpg

I'd appreciate some detailed feedback,
Coon

Coon, just in case you missed it, here is my post from the other forum.

Absolutely, in fact I have a picture of that Scarpa boot on my site from the Outdoor Retailer show in January. Great boot! The Lowa, Scarpa and Meindl boots you are considering are all top notch boots from top notch makers. It is going to have to boil down to fit and height for you. At that level it is all about fitting your feet. I own all three and they are all fantastic. Personally, the Meindl sole feels a little hard to me, the Lowa is a 10 inch version of the Tibet GTX which is what I have, I prefer 8 inchers. If I had to pick between the three, I guess I would lean towards the Scarpa.
Again, you need to find a good mountaineering shop and put them all on but don't make the mistake of getting them too small.

Good luck, please let me know what you end up getting.

Wade
www.hardcoreoutdoor.com

Take a look at the Kenetrek boots before you jump. They are awesome with next to no break in.

Take mtngoat's advise. I have had them all and Kenetrek out of the box is by far the best. You'll love them! You will never go to another boot once you try them. Good Luck!

Well you convinced me. I ordered a pair of Kenetrek Hardscabble Hikers for my upcoming boot article. I am looking forward to seeing how they do. Thanks for the recommendation.

Wade
www.hardcoreoutdoor.com

All the hype about the Kenetrek's made me go out and find a pair. We have a new archery shop in Longview Washington (3 Rivers Archey) that carries them, it was nice to try them on instead of the worry of ordering them sight unseen. I got the Mountain Extremes, hopefully I won't regret the 10" tops, I usually use an 8". The boot is the most rigid boot I have ever owned, they should do a great job of supporting my screwy feet.

Thanks for all your input,
Coon

More rigid than the Meindls?

I can't handle a 10 inch boot.

If you have really screwy feet, White's, Russell, and Hanwag customs might be the solution. Expensive but made for your feet specificly.

Wade
www.hardcoreoutdoor.com

>More rigid than the Meindls?
>
>I can't handle a 10 inch
>boot.
>
>If you have really screwy feet,
>White's, Russell, and Hanwag customs
>might be the solution.
>Expensive but made for your
>feet specificly.
>
>Wade
>www.hardcoreoutdoor.com

I actually talked to one of the sons from Lathrop and Sons, almost went that route. I was on the phone with him for about an hour just talking hunting, great people. I just took a 4 mile walk this evening through some pretty tough ground and the Kenetrek's did pretty good, it will take some miles to get them broke in all the way, time will tell if a made the right choice.

Coon

Well yesterday was bad because I got stumped on the AZ draw. Today is good because my Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hikers came in. What a beautiful boot. I am wearing them now and will be on the trail tonight to test them out.

Thanks for the recommendation guys. I can always count on MM for good information.

Wade
www.hardcoreoutdoor.com

I've been on several walks and hikes in my new Kenetrek Mountain Extreme's and I am very impressed. Not one hot spot or blister and the support is 2nd to none. Looks like my search is over, can't wait for September to get back into the high country for elk. They are a little spendy but it looks like they fall into the "you get what you pay for" category.

2 thumbs up,
Coon

My Hardscrabble Hikers are a beautifully built boot. First rate fit and finish. I only have a few miles on them so far but they are comfortable all the way around. The sole feels about as stiff as te Meindls. Would you agree. They are stiffer than I am used to but that is not bad. It will be interesting to s how I like them long term.

They fit a little smaller than say my Danners. I really like the lacing system. Very effective.

I posted something on a backpacking forum asking if anybody had any experience with Kenetreks, over fifty people viewed the post but not one was familiar with the brand. I thought that was interesting.

Take care.

Wade
www.hardcoreoutdoor.com

I think they actually have a slightly firmer sole than the Meindl's. I too am curious to see how they perform long term, they sure do apear to be built very sturdy. I'm thinking about picking up a set of the Hardscrabble's for the summer time hiking, the 10" Mountain extremes with 400 grams of insulation will probably be to hot for my summer excursions.

Con

I did all the measurements and such for a pair of Hanwags. I talked with one of the Lathrop boys on Friday.

Interesting conversation. He said that the Meindls from Cabelas are built on a different last and are a cheaper, lesser quality boot than the german made boots. Apprarently Lathrop used to be the North American or American dealer for Meindls until the boys from Sydney came in and threw their weight around. Meindl had no choice but to side with Cabelas.

Wade
www.hardcoreoutdoor.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom