Hart Mountain Bow Hunt

Bowhiker

I was lucky enough to draw the Hart Mountain archery hunt (November 1st thru November 7th). I have done some research and have an idea where I am going to hunt but I am looking for any last minute suggestions from those that have been in there that time of year.

I've never hunted Hart, plan to in the near future though. I do hunt late season mule deer every year and have for the last 3 years straight. I would suggest covering ground, as much as possible and glass as much as you can. I personally would hold out for a 180+ inch buck if i had that tag. A friend killed a 193" buck in there a couple years ago on one of the early hunts.

If you find a deer that is what you are looking for don't assume he will be there the next day, they move a ton during the late hunt and unless you find a basin with a ton of does the bucks will just be passing through. Early Nov. everything will be cruising through country that early, the true hard rutting action doesn't start until mid Nov. but IMO the best hunting is in the first week or two when the bucks are cruising for does.

Good luck, you should be in for the hunt of a lifetime.
One more thing, don't get too caught up on putting in tons of miles on foot, most of the late season hunts i have done we have been more productive driving around and glassing. We can cover so much more ground that way, you can drive to a good spot and walk out fingers glassing into them and then move on, the days are short this time of year and you want to cover as much ground and look at as many deer as possible until you find what you are after. Late season is a numbers game some places I have went you have to look at 20 bucks before seeing a shooter and some places you have to look at 200 bucks before finding a shooter. I would guess Hart will have more shooter bucks per deer than a lot of other places.

I've hunted goats twice on Hart but never deer.

most of the deer I saw were around the hot springs and in the hills around the hot springs. out on the flats I didn't ever see a deer on either hunt. I spent a fair amount of time with a spotting scope checking out the hills wherever possible all the way down to the corrals. since my wife had the points to draw the deer muzzle loader tag. let's say it wasn't impressive.

Now this was 9 years ago and in September, obviously things could have changed a little since then for better or worse and in November it has to be better.

For as limited as the deer hunting on Hart is the quantity of deer is unbelievably low , but the buck to doe ratio is high and there has to be some quality bucks if you can find them.

I doubt there's a better trophy buck archery tag in the state , no question you have a chance at a slammer. I'm not a bow hunter but I'd die to have that tag with a rifle. good luck.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate you taking the time out to share some info. I will keep you posted on the outcome of the hunt.

This is going to be a great hunt. I just learned my 15 year old son will be out there with me the entire hunt.

Have been on hart mountain the last two days the 28 & 29 of October. Have not seen many deer but it's been 75 degree. Most of the deer I seen where at the south end in the sage flats.Would like to here how your hunt goes. Good luck there are some good bucks in there.

Back
Top Bottom