Hart Mtn.

N

Nelly

OK me and a buddy are heading over to Hart this weekend to do alittle scouting for his bow season, I was wondering if anyone might point us in the right direction? He has a couple spots he has his mind made up on, but I was hopeing to maybe have a couple of my own to help him out with. ALso I would like to do some shed hunting while I'm there. So if anyone if willing to MAYBE point us in a direction that would be totally cool. I would suggest PMing me only and if there is anyway I could return the favor I would be more then willing!!!!
Thanks CW

That can be a blast up there during the muzzy season if the weather gets cold early. I haven't been deer hunting up there in 10 years and as a NR won't again but in the heat of the summer I have seen some big bucks out in the flats headed the back way to French Glenn - tough hunting with a bow but there are some big bucks out there.

Thanks for all the replys, my buddy drew first season Mule deer. Thanks to a couple members here we have a couple more spots to try out (thanks everyone). We will be there this weekend scouting in a jeep so if anyone is out that way flag us down and say "Hi". Good luck everyone and thanks agian.........

Curtis

Well I just talked with my friend and he said at Hart Mtn. some antelope thing is going on this weekend and there is going to be like 500 people there this weekend!@!!!!!! SO I don't know, we still are going but it sounds like it might be crowded a bit. The hart mtn. people said most of the people are going to be up deer creek or something like that so maybe we can still get some scouting and shed hunting in!!!! Does any one know where to look for sheds and is it legal to take sheds from the refuge?????? Anyways seriouly thank everyone for all the help!!!!!!!! Like I said if I can help back also let me know, just ask I might know????

Thanks Curtis

>Well I just talked with my
>friend and he said at
>Hart Mtn. some antelope thing
>is going on this weekend
>and there is going to
>be like 500 people there
>this weekend!@!!!!!! SO I don't
>know, we still are going
>but it sounds like it
>might be crowded a bit.
>The hart mtn. people said
>most of the people are
>going to be up deer
>creek or something like that
>so maybe we can still
>get some scouting and shed
>hunting in!!!! Does any one
>know where to look for
>sheds and is it legal
>to take sheds from the
>refuge?????? Anyways seriouly thank everyone
>for all the help!!!!!!!! Like
>I said if I can
>help back also let me
>know, just ask I might
>know????
>
> Thanks Curtis

Hart Mtn is bigger than you can imagine. You could never hunt it all in a lifetime even with a tag every year.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-07 AT 10:55AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-07 AT 10:54?AM (MST)

Here's a Hart Mtn buck my grandpa took in 1981. It scored 186 and at the time it was number 1 in Oregon. In 30 years of hunting Hart with a bow he took 15 bucks, two of which made the book. You can't see it from the photo, but in his other hand is a cigarette. I don't condone smoking, but these guys were tough as nails. I can't imagine hunting those canyons at that elevation smoking cigarettes. He never once wore camo, always blue jeans and a blue button down shirt. He won bowhunter of the year in 1972 as well as several other awards. Always shot an old bear recurve until his shoulder went bad and had to switch to compound.

Hart.jpg

LOL well the fiasco started today on Hart Just got off the phone with some people who are over there and lets just say more then a few citations were issued LOL. The Refuge is almost completely dry and the whole loop road is closed and people are just dumbfounded it is funny. I have had 18 calls about helping people there. It is gonna get worst for 2nd season. I am so glad I am not guiding there this year.

Dave

What did they get citations for? And why such a fiasco? There are only 32 tags? Did everyone bring a bunch of spotters or something? I think they should limit each hunter to one or maybe two non-hunting companions.

Hey guys sorry I have not posted kinda put my back out and have not been able to do much..
ANyways I talked with him the other day and he thinks all the deer were spooked, he blames the order of the Antelope (I don't know) but he said he saw one nice four point but it was to late to make a stalk on him and he never saw him agian... He did say he saw alot of forkys and spikes he could have shot one everyday. But he was waiting for that four point..... He also said he saw some wierd things and stuff up by the two graves......?????? We were not able to finish are conversation so not exactly sure what he ment by wierd things. I can't remeber what canyon he saw the four point in but I will find out if you want. OH yeah said he spent quit abit of time in the high country and he said it was like all the deer vanished (spooked from the order of the ANtelope) so who knows....
Sorry not much help....
CW

Hey Nelly, I just had to write and tell you about my unsuccessful hunt on Hart in the second season. Didn't get a buck but had FUN. The deer were spooky, but it was the funnest hunt I've ever been on. I saw about a dozen bucks every day, and at least one or two four points every day. I got in some good stalks and bedded a MONSTER buck on Tuesday, and saw the biggest buck I've ever seen in my life on the last day (at about a mile, three times, he slipped me in the junipers). I think the road closure helped because from what I could see everybody was glassing from the main road and it was a quick 1 mile hike to where you could glass into the canyons below Warner Peak. The hunting was fun and I met some really cool people, including a bunch of random girls from Portland up there partying... That threw my hunt off for a day and a half, but I don't feel bad because I ran into a sheep hunter who ran with the same girls right before I did and he had a pretty good gash on his face to prove it :D I will certainly put in for that hunt every year. Oh, I almost forgot the important part. The guy camped next to me told me the refuge manager told him next year they are going to split the second season again and take 20 tags from there and put them in a November rut hunt.

WOW,you really had a good time I can't belive you saw that many deer, you must have hiked alot. What happend on some of your stalks? Oh yeah next time you need some help with those ladies give me a call and I will keep them busy while you hunt!!!!!!!!!!
DId you glass the same canyon or did you look into diffrent one's? Maybe I will put in next year for one of the hunts sounds like you had a good time. How hot did it get?????
Oh yeah not sure if I said anything ealier but when me and my buddy went scouting we took the long way home and we also ran into two girl in Denio that were out for a drive and ended up in Denio they tryed to get us to stay with them and take them rideing on our four wheelers!!!! After we ditched them all my buddy kept saying was I can't believe the first time I step into Neveda some chick want to hook up with me!!!! ANyways thanks for the up date. Hope you get on next year!!!!

CW

Sounds like you guys both had a good time. Sorry you didn't get any meat in the freezer. Just being able to experience a hunt like that is awesome. I have the muzzleloader tag and can't wait! Come on September 29th!!!!

The stalks were kind of a lot of different stuff. A couple of times I got antsy after I bedded the bucks. A friend of mine warned me before I left not to even start a stalk until 11:00 am, but a couple of times I just couldn't wait because it seemed perfect. I didn't have a spotter, so after I'd start my stalk the deer would get up and move, right into my wind. I'd pop up to check my landmarks, thinking I had two or three hundred yards and there they would be, right in front of me. One time I watched four bucks bed three times and waited until 11:00 or so. It was trippy, I was watching them nod off to sleep. I was about a quarter mile from them and had perfect wind and was just getting ready to start my stalk. All of sudden <poof> they all just got up and trotted away for no reason at all. I basically worked the tops of a series of canyons that drained east and west off the same couple of ridges. The sheep hunter got the gash walking back from the hot springs, where he was drinking with those girls, and fell into the back of his rig because he was drunk. Pretty funny stuff. They were pretty confident they were going to shoot a ram the day I left.

Back
Top Bottom