Harvest distance

bighornhunter

So, I keep seeing shows and ads advocating long range rifles and gear and it got me wondering on what's the furthest others have shot, or shot at, a big game animal with a rifle, muzzleloader, or bow.?.
Also at what distance do you feel comfortable harvesting an animal with these weapons?
Plus at what distance do you feel shooting long range violates the ethics of real and fair chase hunting?
Anyway, just curious and would like to hear everyone's views.
I apologize if similar threads have been created in the past but I was curious.

My longest rifle kill was an elk at 307 yrds
My longest Muzzle loader kill was a deer at 110 yrds.
Longest archery kill was a deer at 35 yards.

That said, I had practiced and practiced for a 500 yrd shot at elk.

I shoot my muzzle loader consistantly at 200 yrds and practice archery out to 60 yards.

Those are just my comfort zones. I think with the right equipment and suffiecient practice a person could have longer ethical ranges but given my equipment and amount of practice my numbers are what I feel are ethical for me.

1 shot kill at 527 yards with a rifle on a deer. I practice out to 500 yards regularly.. I was comfortable with the shot i was taking. It's all about practice. If i was only practicing out to 300 yards then that's all the farther I would shoot

LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-12 AT 05:03PM (MST)[p]I've only been hunting for about 5 years and I practice shooting my rifle quite often. I think no one should be shooting any weapon further than what they feel comfortable with. I practice alot out to about 350 yards and feel comfortable out to that distance.(shoot accurately and consistent) I have also practiced a few times out as far as 500 yards. But my accuracy is not sufficient enough for me to feel comfortable with a shot that far. Muzzle loader is no more than 200 yards. I don't shoot archery equipment.

The two deer I've harvested were with a rifle at 140 and 180 yards.

I personally feel that with a rifle, anything past 800 yards is not ethic nor fair chase. I wouldn't want to even if I knew I could accurately. I like to get as close as possible. Patience is key. I usually spot deer at about 800 yards and try to make a stalk. Most of the time, I get busted. But that's why it's called hunting.

I take great pride in myself when I can get close to them undetected. It's a great feeling knowing I out smarted him.

But having the opportunity to first find, then stalk close enough to, and making a good comfortable shot, is what makes hunting the passion it is for me.

I have shot my 300RUM routinely to 900 yards. The farthest in the field shot was at 576 yards on an elk. Second farthest was 535 yards on a mtn goat. Both ranges verified by a rangefinder.

I shoot a lot and practice not from a bench but from various positions year round. Saying that I'm sure many on here are more comfortable than I am especially with a bow.

Bow--Deer 42 yards-- I don't practice much farther than 45 yards.

Muzzy--Antelope--212 yards--practice to 300 wouldn't ever shoot that distance at an animal. We are allowed to use a BAS scope which makes a huge difference.

Rifle--Bush Buck 368--I only practice to about 400 usually once in a while I'll shoot at 500 never have had the ability or equipment to shoot at distances some people do.

I'll catch Hell!

But I once put 18' (Approx!) over the Top of a Bucks Back once & the 600 Grain Slug put him down for the count!

Now, before somebody gets their Panties Wet!

I've shot the distance in the Exact location prior to taking this Buck!

Moved him back 7 feet when the Impact hit him!

Yes,there was Snow on the Ground,so I could see how far I moved him back!

Fire away!:D

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

I don't shoot near as much as I used too, I tend to rely on my hunting skills to get me into my comfort zones.

Rifle: Deer 300 elk 400
Muzzy: Deer only for me 100
Bow: Deer 30 elk 40

I take pride in my closest shots Deer 13yrds/rifle, elk 10yrds/bow and my latest was my Bighorn ram 18yrds/rifle.

A DALL SHEEP @ 684 YARDS BY MY RANGEFINDER IN THE YUKON..........FIRST SHOT PUT HIM DOWN.....7MM 162 GR.NOSLER................YD.

Furtherest was one shot at a whitetail with a 12 gauge shotgun at 319 yards. Complete miss. Walked away after seeing the slug hit the dirt 50 yards short of the deer. Then a buddy of mine shot the buck at 10 yards a few minutes later.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

I killed a buck while hunting with Manny up in far Northern Kali that was 527 yds. I also have taken a couple others over 400 and a couple more over 300 yds, all within the past 6-7 years.

I practice with my rangefinder shooting out to 500 and 600 yds. and feel comfortable, if the conditions are right, taking a buck at 500 or so.

Do i feel guilty for killing these bucks at that range? Heck No!!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Rifle - Longest shot is 336 yards. Practice to 400.

Archery - No Harvest Yet - Practice out to 100 yards and would be comfortable with any shot inside 60 yards.

As for the long range guys. I think with archery equipment you are able to much more easiy put an ethical limit on a shots distance. forexample i know a couple guys who shoot well out to 80 yards and with the KE at that distance and the quietness of the bow i dont see anything wrong with that shot. but beyond 80 yards its dicey at best. Even at 80 you want optimal conditions to even warrant taking the shot.

Rifle is a tougher animal. if you have the skill to consistently put together a 5" group at 800 yards then who am i to say that your shot is unethical? I personally like the thrill of getting as close as possible before taking the shot.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-12 AT 10:23AM (MST)[p]I haven't read any of the replies on this thread. And I am sure, what I am about to say will offend some. That is not my intention. I have grand children that I want to see, be able to hunt and experience much of the same stuff I have, but I am afraid the way we are heading, that might not happen.

I went hunting with my dad in the early 1940's, almost as a toddler. I can still remember so much, of those early times. A long shot, in those days, with the rifles they had, was 100 yards. Most animals were killed at about half that distance.

My dad taught me, that hunting was about getting close to the animals. That seems to have changed quiet a bit,in the last 30 years, across all the spectrums--rifle---muzzle loader--and bow. I personally find that troubling, that we have traded the skills of getting close, for the skill of using modern technology, to keep reaching out farther and farther, to fill our tags. I think we have traded hunting for shooting and in the long run, I think it will be a big part, of huntings demise, along with the trend of privatizing hunting, for which Utah has become so famous.

I am not against technology as such, as I use a compound bow and aluminum arrows. But I refuse to use these advantages as a way of extending my range. Instead I use it as a way to insure cleaner, faster kills, without near the chance of wounding loss.

27.jpg

Have a good one. BB

You know if you could talk to the cave man he would say its not hunting unless you trap the animal or kill the animal using only handmade weapons and at 5 feet. There's a time that they would have said you should only use a traditional muzzleloader and shoot 50 yards. My grandpa might say you should only use open sight rifles and shoot 100 yards. My dad would say shoot a modern rifle with a 3 by 9 scope but don't shoot past 400 yards. And now there's guys that shoot rifles past 1000 yards, bows past 100 and muzzleloaders past 300. Which of these people should get to draw the line in the sand. ( I say me lol) have your opinion, know your limits, but don't chastise another man for his, because there will be someone that will want to set YOUR limits. I disagree with lots of people's shot selections, even a few of my own, but that's their choice. This topic always cracks me up, I love it for some reason.

Rifle deer 600 yards
Muzzloader deer 100 yards
Archery elk 40 yards

Should I?? Naw, but talk about a can of worms! You can read what I had to say about it specially with archery gear in the Archery forum under 80# Help.

LittleBull, there is way more to it then what you are concidering. Think about it a little more.

Killed a lot of critters but my furthest shot was 40 yards with a bow on a Coues whitetail.

+ 1000 BB!!

GBA

No I thought about it, and I concede there are a lot of factors. You would just need to write a book about every possible situation. Put a 40 mph wind on that 40 yard shot and your dirty sob to some people. But that's not for me to ask every guy that shoots 1000 yards what the barometric pressure was at the time of his/her shot. Sarcasim intended.

Longest shot with rifle:
deer- 425 yards
Elk- 275 yard
Antelope- about 300 yards

Longest shot with bow:
deer- 42 yard
elk- 35 yards
antelope- 10 yards in ground blind- only shot one antelope with a bow.

longest shot with muzzy:
deer- 200 yards
elk- only shot one and it was at 25 yards. Limited entry 6x5
antelope- 200 yards

ethical shooting for me:

rifle:
deer-400 yards
elk-300 yards
antelope- 400 yards

bow:
deer- 40 yards
elk-35 yards
antelope- 40 yards I shoot well out to 80 yards-

muzzy-
all at 200 yards.

I believe an ethical shot is one you know you can make with total confidence you will put the animal down for the count. I am not going to kick someone who shoots further than what I do- these are my limitations and I try to stick with them. I practice out to 600 yards with my rifle, 80 yards with my bow and 300 yards with my muzzleloader. But that does not mean I shoot that far at live animals. If it doesn't bite the dust on the first shot, it's nice to know I can hit it a few yards further out.

Archery- Anything inside 60 yards I am very comfortable. I practice out to 100 yards. Last year I killed an antelope at 55 yards (furthest kill to date) and a mule deer at 26. Here is a pic of my 60 yard group from the other day. I have been shooting several times a week since February to be proficient at this distance. As for ethics... that is a personal call, and I think it is important for us not to judge the abilities of others as we don't know each hunter's abilities. If it is within your comfort zone and you have the KE to make a clean kill, take the shot. If it isn't don't. For some that might be 20 yards, for others it might be 80....

8212img_5240.jpg

There is a bigger picture here IMO. Think outside the box if you will. It's the new technology that I'm talking about. I am not talking about unethical anything, wind, animal moving or Barometric pressure generally 28.6 (now that was funny) or whatever. I m talking about the success in KILLING long distance and what it is anymore. It has become anything but hunting. Everyone is correct about hitting and killing better at longer ranges. I won't argue with it or the technology behind it. But what I will say is keep at it and when everyone is doing it find out what happens to your tags as the success rate goes up and deer get killed a LOT more and actual hunting goes out the window. I'm with BB on this. I want hunting to be here for my grandkids and their grandkids to enjoy and as much or more opportunity than we have today. So Take your accurate guns and get within 300 yards and get it done. It isn't as easy as killing from 600 yards away now is it?? Therefore the success rate will be less which will leave more opportunity in the years to come. I say challenge yourself because with the new technology out there now, there is no challenge to killing at 600 plus yards. But getting within 300 is tough as heck.

I am all about new technology specially when it come to mechanical bows. I'll take a bow spitting 350 fps in a heartbeat but it does not give me the excuse to shoot arrows at any animal over 40 yards. What is does do for me is allows me to use a single pin sighted in at 30 yards and kill every time when I pick a spot and hit it from zero yards to 40 yards. It will make me a more efficient killer after I have become an efficient hunter and got that close. It is closing the distance that is the hardest and toughest thing to do, which for archer anyways, makes it tough to harvest an animal but at least my OTC tags aren't going to be a draw tag. That is until more archery hunters are out their flinging arrows at 80 to 100 yards and killing all the opportunity out there. It is becoming easier to harvest and kill at really long ranges which IMO will be the demise to our love out in the field.

Lucaar, awesome shooting dude. No offence intended but I'm not impressed. Anyone with new equipment and some practice can do it, some at even longer distances that that. Get to 25 yards spot and stalk on a deer and shoot like that?then I'll be impressed!

GBA

As always I read this thread I see several different opinions and hunt styles and that's great. Like everyone else I think we should never shoot in a situation we aren't confident in, whether it be at 10 or a 1000 yards.
I guess what I really want to hear is peoples opinions on long range and what is stated in the fair chase statement of Boone and Crockett. "FAIR CHASE....is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal IN A MANNER THAT DOES NOT GIVE THE HUNTER AN IMPROPER ADVANTAGE OVER SUCH ANIMALS."
Personally at what distance do you think shooting at an animal gives a improper or unethical biased advantage to the hunter?
I don't know the magic number, if any, but I'm glad to hear everyone's opinions.

GotBowAz..... Sorry you are not impressed with my shooting. I would really like to see your groups at that distance. Gonna have to disagree with your statement "anyone with new equipment and some practice can do it"...... equipment is nice, but it doesn't make you shoot good. Practice and dedication make you shoot good. Like I said if you read my post... My last buck I shot at 26 yards :)

If you don't like shooting longer distances... then don't, but shooting a big deer at 60 yards with a bow is still very challenging, and still hunting in my humble opinion....

Next time I will send you an email of my groups to make sure they meet your high standards before I post.... Just to make sure everyone is very impressed :) Good luck this year!!!!

Archery or rifle, the new equipment available makes shots easier at extended ranges whether guys admit it or not. mtmuley

You know lucaar, until you sneek up on a 1000 lb croc and Steve Irwin his @$$ there will be some critics. Lol All kidding aside, I do like to get close, but also think it might be fun to practice and shoot something at 1000. I mean how many of us are hunting because we NEED the meat. Not many. Usually it is something we enjoy, so if you enjoy hunting long range, more power to you!

I watched a 1000 yard shot back 20+ yrs ago on an antelope with a 30-06 and a Leopold scope. That was from one of the best shooters i have ever met.
Me personally..
625 Antelope w/ 300 win mag and nightforce scope/quality reloads
460 Elk same set up
200 deer same set up
10 yards long bow

I have seen further shots on elk and deer with a .338 Lapua with a nightforce scope and a shooter who practices at least 4 times per week and has done for over 30 years with reloads.

It completely depends on weather, the shooter and the rilfe/scope/bullet combo. I will not take a long shot unless the conditions are next to perfect. Period.

My longest kill shots for deer were as follows:

Rifle: 23 yards, 30-06

Muzzle loader: 187 yards, TC Encore

Archery: 65 yards, Hoyt MagnaTec

I usually base my comfort zone more on what is between myself and the animal than on distance. Both my longest archery and muzzle loader bucks were taken in areas with very little vegetation and the bucks were broadside to me. I prefer to take archery shots within 50 yards even though I shoot 4 inch groups at 70 yards on a regular basis. A lot of stuff can go wrong when your shooting long range.

Dillon
WWW.dillonhoyt.com

So the real question then is... when will our long range efficiency put us(hunters) out of business?
Pure economic supply and demand implies that we will get so good at KILLING (at outrageous ranges) that there will be fewer and fewer animals left to shoot.

That is a hard pill to swallow...thinking that we may have to restrict ourselves. Almost everyone on here wants a trophy on every ridge but given the current technology I think we are becoming our own worst enemy. Unfortunately, I predict things will only get worse.

There are certainly no easy answers, but it is an excellent question for all of us to ponder.

Personally, you can give bubba the best rifle, scope, ect on the market to hunt long range with, but if bubba cant shoot and doesnt put in the time.. he will never make those shots. Period. They are selling a dream like with the Husk scope/rifle combination you just dial in and the give you a drop chart based on caliber. What a joke. Sorry, it just doesnt work that way. It takes time to wrok up a reload, bullet combo and shooter chart.
Not everyone is the same height or has the same trigger pull, and since we know thats the case, this 'dream of shooting distance' without the hard work that goes into it is just that.. a dream.
Back in the day I watched some amazing long distance shots with minimal equipment. Now those men were real long distance shooters. They practiced constantly and worked up reloads.

I wouldn't touch this thread with a ten foot pole, as I've learned my lesson responding to distance questions, LOL!

B&C's quote: "FAIR CHASE....is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal IN A MANNER THAT DOES NOT GIVE THE HUNTER AN IMPROPER ADVANTAGE OVER SUCH ANIMALS."
Personally at what distance do you think shooting at an animal gives a improper or unethical biased advantage to the hunter?

It appears that everyone wants to bury their head in the sand on this one....

I've never had the need for a range finder so my longest kill shot on a deer is a good educated guess of about 150 yards with a rifle. But most of my rifle shots are well under 50 yards. For me the joy is in the getting close. On my first mountain goat I glassed him at over 1000 yards. I split the distance in half and took a peek. Split the distance again in half and took a peek. Did that again and again until I was about 50 yards before I pulled the trigger. Getting close is what really gets me excited. I've watched these hunting shows where they are 800 yards away and the animal is feeding unaware and then they state, "This is the closest we could get." When I see that I yell at the TV. "BULL####" They just want to brag up the distance so they can sell more of their product. IMO, I don't believe 90% of the garbage they spew. It's edited TV. You can say any distance you want. The animal could be an easy 200 yards and you can have your camera panned back and in the edit room call it 800.

>It appears that everyone wants to
>bury their head in the
>sand on this one....

There's no way to regulate it, if the equipment or tactics used are leagal, they will be. Is it ethical to shoot at great distances and snipe game, in my opinoin NO. But sitting in tree stand over a food plot isn't either.

I am not a fan of long range hunting, I find it a bragging game on shooting. To me it puts all the emphasis on the kill. Not what hunting is to me. Same as sitting in a tree stand over a food plot.

I will stick to the basics, the "new" styles of hunting, not my thing.

Regardless of it not being your thing. Lets flip it.
I think some of you are jealous because you dont have the skills to shoot that far. Now is that an accurate depiction of short range hunters? Probably not. So lumping the long range hunters into one category is inaccurate as well.
Now old bubba on Long Range Pursuit and the Husk scope/rifle combos is a load of bull. Here bubba, just buy this rifle/scope and we calibrate your rifle for you with a drop chart for your manufactured loads. WRONG! They are trying to sell the dream, a product mind you, that is just so wonderful even the beer drinking rednecks can shoot 400 yards+..
Now, we all know thats just not the case. To be a good long range hunter it takes time. Lots and lots of time. Bullet, powder, rifle combinations with a high quality scope. Quality reloads, alot of time at the range in correct shooting positions.
Thats just the tip of the iceberg.
Personally, im against hunters whom are not skilled or have the proper time and equipment to hunt ethically and accurately at any yardage.

Im not jelouse, just not my thing. Im a hunter, not a marksman. I could be if thats what my passion was, but spending tons of time and money to shoot long range isn't how I want to spend my free time. I am very comfortable to shoot to 400 yards with my Ol' Whinchester, but I will always try to get as close as I can.
I just don't like the idea of shooting game at great distances just to brag about how good of a marksman/archer you are, that seems like what alot of long distance hunters do.
I will allways be more imressed by getting close to game than I will be sniping them.
To me Shooting isn't hunting, its just part of it. No one hunts the same way, thats why I usually hunt alone. Keep doing what you do, it doesn't really matter. We both love to do what we do.

I really got into the long range shooting thing and it is very fun. I am more confident with a 600 yard prone shot than a 200 offhand or even kneeling shot. I am not plaqued by an ethics issue of any sort. I have wounded a deer at 150 yards that I didn't recover...felt pretty aweful, but it does happen. I know people that wound stuff every year with muzzleloaders (the least effective weapon out there in my opinion). Some of these people shoot 3 or 4 elk a year and dont recover any of them (and I am talking about 50-125 yard shots). Basically I think that gives me a pass to try a 1000 yard shot if everything is right and I have the time to do it...but then again I get to practice at that distance too. Oh and I have also missed deer at 25 yards with my bow...meaning that I could have easily wounded it. No question I would take that shot again!

Farthest shots: Antelope 800 yards, coues deer 765 yards, Moose 438 yards, antelope 400 yards, whitetail 500 yards

Closest shot: 8 point white tail buck at 7 yards (no food plot)

Anybody else here NOT plagued by "ethics"?

Also its not really very easy to find a good situation to take a 600-800 yard shot. It took me a long time to put that situation together to even get to the point of pulling the trigger. Its remarkably difficult to get an accurate range and find a place where you can lay down and get that shot to happen.

Some may say you don't need to be a marksmen to be a hunter, but I think the two go hand in hand. I'll put my money on a guy that spends a lot of time behind his rifles year round learning to be a marksmen making a shot at whatever range he chooses. Makes one a better hunter in my opinion. mtmuley

To kind of go along with what mtmuley said, i spend a lot of time in years, effort, and money, looking for a particular kind of buck. I'm not out there just looking to get a buck, i'm hunting, or i was when i was younger, a dandy that are not easy to come by. If and when i do happen to come across Mr Monster Rack, i like knowing that i have the weapon and skill set, maybe out to 600 if the conditions are right, to put that critter into a permanent dirt nap.

Those who say that that is not hunting, IMO, are completely too much into themselves and plain ol FOS!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

The longest rifle shot I've ever made was 625 yards at a moose. I did not practice for shots that long I only practice for shots around 2 to 300 yard. The opportunity presented itself a half hour before dark so I had to take the shot.

as long as I have an F.O. calling in adjustments for me...Sky is the limit.....by myself..gotta see the white of their eyes....

First of all weapons are for combat not hunting and you harvest corn. That being said I've killed animals as far as 635 yards with a rifle and missed animals as close as 10 feet with the same rifle. Point is, every situation is different and only you can know if the situation is right for you.

Farthest shots:

Rifle
Muley @ 425 yds
Elk @ 275 yds
Antelope @ 450 yds

Archery
Muley @ 62 yds

450 is as far as I will shoot with my current set up on my rifle.

80 is my max with my bow but it would have to be a perfect set up.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

WEAPONS/HARVEST........NO .. NO .....BRAD, YOU WOULD BE WRONG. NICE 2ND POST..............TOPGUN WORK WITH HIM....LOL............YD.

Black Bear 697 yards on the finder. .325 WSM

Bull Elk 385 yards. .300 WM

Deer 324 yards. .300 WM

Turkey 40+ yards Bow.

Yote ?????? But it was farrrrrr. .25 WSSM.

-John Wayne

>I wouldn't touch this thread with
>a ten foot pole, as
>I've learned my lesson responding
>to distance questions, LOL!

Ten foot pole? There you go braggin' again! LOL
My sentiments exactly!
Zeke

Farthest shot, right at 500 yards, whitetail deer in northern Pennsylvania believe it or not. Used what could be considered a custom bench rifle, 7mm Imperial Magnum, on a rest. Shot several others 350 to 450 yards.

Under real field conditions hunting in the western mountains I wouldn't go much past 400 yards and thats using a bipod.

IMO....

Long Range Hunting or specifically shooting at game over 400 yards is only making up for the lack of hunting skills. It really does not take much skill to find a trophy animal at a range of 900 yards. The skill or the hunt is getting into a reasonable range preferably under 250 yards. Game animals have no defense instinct for a hunter 500-900 yards away. Some so called hunters may think it is cool to get a trophy at that range... But make no mistake, it is NOT hunting, definitely not on a level playing field. I hope it gets out lawed because it will be like welfare for idiots. Sooner or later it's going to be the death of a great sport. Either by cutting tags way back or gone gone gone!

Now shooting Wolves or Terrorists at long range, now that's is respectable, IMO....

The best thing about shooting and reloading so much, and practicing at extended ranges is the absolute confidence you gain in your gun, loads, and the ability to make the shot.

What I am absolutely amazed at on TV, is the absolutely unethical shots I see, most of them well below the seemingly acceptable 400 yard limit. Too many in very poor shooting positions, or when the animal is in a very poor position or worse moving.

There is so much more to this argument than distance and I will paraphrase those above that say, you need to practice, know your equipment, and be capable of limiting yourself to ethical shots based on your limitations. In some ways a well practiced marsman at 400 yards is much more ethical than some guy who just has to get within 100 yards to use his trusty open sighted 45-70 when the deer are more likely to be spooked and generate a compromised shot.

Rifle:
Deer - 300 yds
Elk - 200 yds
Bear - 20 yds

Muzzleloader:
Deer - 114 yds (traditional, round ball, complete pass through, deer didn't move)

I practice with my rifle out to 400 yds and with my muzzleloader out to 100 yds.

But the average distance I shoot at game is probably 50 yds.
If an animal is not aware of my presence I will find a solid rest before shooting, even if it is only 50 yds.

I limit my off-hand shooting to 100 yds or less and I practice that more than anything else.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom