Harvester sabots and Barnes bullets

buckhorn

Very Active Member
Harvester sabots and Barnes bullets

Thanks to you folks that replied earlier to my post on these topics. This is the set up I am settled on shooting just wondering if you can by the Barnes Bullets with out their sabots that come with the bullets in the pack. Also is there anywhere to get the Sabots with out paying the high shipping charges that harvester charges?
Also I'm still looking for someone to lend me a one power scope to try out . I will pay the shipping charges and either by the scope or send it back to you when I'm done. Thanks, Jeff

RE: Harvester sabots and Barnes bullets

I shot Hornady .452 pistol bullets with Harvestor ribbed black sabot in my 50 caliber omega. Very accurate and my grandson shot a deer with that load and my gun. I also shot a deer with that projectile combination in another gun. It was a very inexpensive way to go and easier to load. I thought about every sporting goods store had the sabots. The only kind I would ever purchase now is the ribbed kind.

>I shot Hornady .452 pistol bullets
>with Harvestor ribbed black sabot
>in my 50 caliber omega.
> Very accurate and my
>grandson shot a deer with
>that load and my gun.
> I also shot a
>deer with that projectile combination
>in another gun. It
>was a very inexpensive way
>to go and easier to
>load. I thought about every
>sporting goods store had the
>sabots. The only kind
>I would ever purchase now
>is the ribbed kind.

yes indeed! The wifes TC Impact and my CVA Mountain rifle love this set up, backed by 90grs of Blackhorn 209. I get em from Midwayusa.

The Sabot I am using and getting from harvester are the yellow crusthed ribbed ones designed for the boat tail bullet such as the Barnes TMZ I couldn't find them from Midway or anywhere else other than directly from harvester. Could be that I am not searching properly. Any ideas? Thanks

How hot of a load are you shooting with this configuration? I'm currently testing loads with the TMZ290's with 112 Grains by Weight Blackhorn 209 and haven't messed with trying different sabots yet.

I'm at 80 grains by weight.
I haven't gone any more than that because I'm already feeling the recoil enough. Probably wouldn't feel it shooting an animal but at the range that's where I'm at so far.

This place used to stock and sell the Barnes muzzleloader bullets in bulk as well as Harvester sabots in just about every configuration Harvester offered. Might try calling them and asking about what you are shooting. Eastern time zone.

Ed's Gun Shop
5560 US 1 HWY
Vass, NC 28394
(910) 692-7936
(910) 692-4867 fax
[email protected] or [email protected]

Just throwing it out so everyone knows of they dont already 120 grains of bh209 by volume is a max load 120 grains by volume = 84 grains by weight MAX load would hate to see someone hurt by getting volume and weight mixed up or even getting bh209 loads mixed up with other sub loads that run 150 grain max loads in many modern inlines.

I have an excellent sightron scope take you could try. Worked awesome for me until my hunting state allowed any power scope. I made a 290 yd shot on a giant elk with this scope. 801-nine 40-6796

Thanks sjh I'll give Eds Gunshop a call.

Fubar, That's a good post. When I read that guy was shooting 120 grains a blackhorn by weight I was astonished.

Bronco 63 I'll call you tomorrow

Just a little info for you guys. The 120 grain by volume max charge recommendation is based on certain rifles mainly those using 209 primers. I'm running 112 grains by weight which is 160 by volume in a Remington Ultimate muzzleloader which has a totally different ignition system and is not exceeding the max recommended charge for this rifle.

Good info to add for sure how many loads are you getting out of your brass? With a load like that?

I just got the gun and started testing so I'm not sure. It sounds like guys are getting 3 to 5 with these types of loads. I may try 200 grains of 777 pellets which is the recommended load but I just like how clean the 209 is.

Iv never shot a rum but have read to really watch your brass when shooting bh209 because a slight leak can gas cut the breech plug

Yeah I've read about those issues. I haven't reprinted any yet but after one fire they're definitely fine. I

Glad that combo worked for you! It's been my go to forever. The harvestor sabots are hands down a huge improvement.

I think you can actually buy the bullets from Barnes without sabots. Give them a call.

>I just got the gun and
>started testing so I'm not
>sure. It sounds like guys
>are getting 3 to 5
>with these types of loads.
>I may try 200 grains
>of 777 pellets which is
>the recommended load but I
>just like how clean the
>209 is.

The Gun Will Safely Shoot the 200 Grains worth of Pellets that Remington Recommends!

If You want some Inconsistency I Recommend You Shoot that Load!

Way Too Much Powder!

Back Me Off to 1,700 Yards,650 is a Little Close & I'm Not Comfortable with it!

A GUT SHOT at 1,700 Yards will Still Make Some Good BRAGGIN Rights so I Can Say I At Least Hit Him!

90087hankjr.jpg

I've got a buddy shooting the recommended 200 grains of 777 pellets with the Remington/Barnes 250 grain bullets with good success.

Do you mean the 777 load is way too much powder or the max charge of 209 is too much powder?

I'm Saying 200 Grains of Powder is way too much for any kind of accuracy!

Yes the Gun will safely Shoot the load!

Back Me Off to 1,700 Yards,650 is a Little Close & I'm Not Comfortable with it!

A GUT SHOT at 1,700 Yards will Still Make Some Good BRAGGIN Rights so I Can Say I At Least Hit Him!

90087hankjr.jpg

Thanks do you have any load recommendations that work well in the Remington ultimate?

I was in Utah county today and went on a search for harvester crush rib sabots. Cabelas had one style but not the .50cal black crush ribs. Sportsmans Warehouse doesn't carry them. Gunnies doesn't carry them. I guess I will just order them direct like last time. I'm working up some new bullet recipes for the smoke poles this year so I wanted to stockpile them.

Does anyone know if Scheels carries them? There was no way I was going North of point of the mountain on a labor day, friday afternoon. On the way home at 4PM south bound traffic was stop and go even at Payson. Traffic and overpopulation in this state make it not worth living here anymore.

I don't know of any stores that stock the harvester black ribbed sabots. You can order them from Midway however. If you want the yellow ones for boat tail bullet you will need to get them directly from harvester. I was able to get the shipping reduced to four dollars by calling them directly and placing the order over the phone.

My local cabelas didn't carry what I wanted, but I ordered them online with the in-store pick up which is free shipping and just waited for them to show up at the local store then picked up at the will call customer service desk.
Takes a while but saves on paying for shipping.

Midway showed out of stock on the harvester sabots today. I will just order direct.

If you happen to live in south central utah, Barney&Co in Richfield is where I got mine. I believe they stock them.

Well by damn, Richfield it is then. I was at Beaver Pawn today and they didn't have any.

Call Ron at Harvester 800-922-6287 and tell him what you need and to cut the shipping fees Pay for them with your credit card and they will be to you in a couple of days easy is that

I was in Barney & Co. today for the first time ever. Should have been there years ago. They have plenty of Harvester sabots, 2 cases came in today. Lots of Blackhorn 209. They also had a box of bullets in stock that I haven't found lately at any website in the country or in Utah. .375 accubond 260 grain bullets. Nobody has had these in stock because they are a limited run product. Low and behold Barneys had them. I highly Recommend Barney & Co.!

A BULLET TRAIN! The only other thing besides a good guy with a gun, that will stop a bad guy with a gun ;-)

deadibob
Did they have the 50 caliber yellow ones for boat tail bullets?
Thanks

I didn't look for those. They had the red ones for smokeless powder and he thought those were for boat tails, but they aren't. I have some of those to try but haven't gotten around to it yet. Try giving them a call.

I was out shooting this morning but now I'm home heating up a pot of lyman #2 bullet alloy. I'm going to need a harder bullet for my velocities. Just smoked my mold and it should be about ready to pour.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom