Has anyone cured or tanned a snake skin?

nebo

LAST EDITED ON May-27-13 AT 03:01PM (MST)[p]Just wondering if there is any help out there. If you have done any inlay of snake hide or projects you have used it on would yo show me your work and I mean snake like in reptile. LOL

I have!

Might be an Ameteur at it?

Skin the Snake!(Duh!)

Get all the Meat/Membrane off the Skin!

Mix 50/50 Glycerin & Alcohol in a Pint/Quart Bottle!

Completely Submerge the Snake Skin in the Mixture with a lid on the Bottle for about 2-3 days!

Then take it out & Stretch & Pin the Skin on a piece of light paneling/wood and let dry for several days!

Keep it where other Critters can't destroy it while it's Drying!

***NOTE:You might wanna talk to a Real Taxidemist!:D

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

>I have!
>
>Might be an Ameteur at it?
>
>
>Skin the Snake!(Duh!)
>
>Get all the Meat/Membrane off the
>Skin!
>
>Mix 50/50 Glycerin & Alcohol
>in a Pint/Quart Bottle!
>
>Completely Submerge the Snake Skin in
>the Mixture with a lid
>on the Bottle for about
>2-3 days!
>
>Then take it out & Stretch
>& Pin the Skin on
>a piece of light paneling/wood
>and let dry for several
>days!
>
>Keep it where other Critters can't
>destroy it while it's Drying!
>
>
>***NOTE:You might wanna talk to a
>Real Taxidemist!:D
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>The Dew I had for Breakfast
>wasn't Bad so I had
>one more for Dessert!:D
Thanks and that is exactly what I have done. So how is the finished product after it dries? Do you use it for inlay?

The alcohol/glycerin mix is correct. That is how I used to treat the D-back's skin. The alcohol will kill the bacteria and the glycerin will make the skin supple. Good luck!

>>I have!
>>
>>Might be an Ameteur at it?
>>
>>
>>Skin the Snake!(Duh!)
>>
>>Get all the Meat/Membrane off the
>>Skin!
>>
>>Mix 50/50 Glycerin & Alcohol
>>in a Pint/Quart Bottle!
>>
>>Completely Submerge the Snake Skin in
>>the Mixture with a lid
>>on the Bottle for about
>>2-3 days!
>>
>>Then take it out & Stretch
>>& Pin the Skin on
>>a piece of light paneling/wood
>>and let dry for several
>>days!
>>
>>Keep it where other Critters can't
>>destroy it while it's Drying!
>>
>>
>>***NOTE:You might wanna talk to a
>>Real Taxidemist!:D
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>The Dew I had for Breakfast
>>wasn't Bad so I had
>>one more for Dessert!:D
>Thanks and that is exactly what
>I have done. So
>how is the finished product
>after it dries? Do
>you use it for inlay?
>

Hey nebo!

No,I haven't done any inlayed!

A Few Hat Bands for Western Hats for a Chosen Few Friends!

Now I'm sittin Back thinkin I'm gonna need to take My .357 & utahbigbull back to Dutton to get another Hat Band for myself!:D:D:D

My Huntin Hat was Stolen on SJ Last Fall & now I'm workin on puttin another one together!

The Snake Skin done with the Concauction I mentioned above turns out decent and Plyable!

What are you Buildin?

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

I killed a big Timber rattler once that was 52in minus the head...I immediately skinned it turned the skin inside out wrapped it in wax paper turned it right side out and filled with sand...let it dry for a couple days and then flattened it out and rubbed in mineral oil...made a hat band that lasted about ten years...the wax and sand got rid of the stink...

LAST EDITED ON May-27-13 AT 07:11PM (MST)[p]I have no idea what I'm going to build. I have always wanted to cure or tan a skin. I will do something with it just not sure what. Thanks again for all the help!!

Here's a link to a short tutorial I put together a while back
http://bowyersworkshop.com/snake.html

I have used them on a number of bows I've made over the years and prefer to use green skins as I glue them to the back of my bows. I skin the snake then take the skin and wrap it on a paper towel wetted with Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) and place in the freezer until ready to use. The IPA prevents the skin from freezing. When ready to glue I take it out ( and do my glue up using hide glue. You can scrape scales either before or after gluing. The hide glue is protein based and works better that other glues I have experimented with.

If you are going glue ups on your inlays I would recommend staying away from glycerin as the oils will make it impossible to get good adhesion....... Terry

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on curing skins. AZStickman that is some good looking work and thanks.

I have one more question? If I take the scales off the skin will it still have color and have good pattern on the hide?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom