Hatch Chile

feddoc

Long Time Member
Anyone a fan? I've spent the last few days roasting, peeling and eating a few. 100lbs total; a mixture of heat ranges. They are now in the freezer waiting for an elk season or two. Gloves a must. You only get burned once and learn that lesson very quickly.

The xtra hot....they were not making an overstatement.

0ie8i19.jpg

EAOiN2S.jpg

Love the stuff. I only have enough for 3 batches of “Colorado Green Chili” left from last year so I restocked yesterday. I make mine similar to the Brewery Bar II.

I used to roast my own, but my liver made me quit. I love the smell of roasting them but hate peeling them.

Love them. Our local grocery brings in tons, and roasts every day. Do the same, vac pack and freeze.

I didn't know what a Hatch Chile was so I did a search. I guess it kind of like Humboldt Homegrown. Cool!

It’s definitely a four corners thing. Just about every small town has someone roasting them outside the grocery store. I love the medium, I can eat them like I would an apple. They are the best snack.

I grow a fair amount of peppers down here on the Gulf Coast.
Fry a fair amount and also dehydrate a lot for homemade salsa.

It’s definitely a four corners thing. Just about every small town has someone roasting them outside the grocery store. I love the medium, I can eat them like I would an apple. They are the best snack.
I was in Santa Fe NM one time when they were roasting the chili's and I smelled them and walked over to the guy do the roasting. I asked if I could eat one. He called his Mom and she brought out freshly made tortillas and we wrapped a chili with a little mayo on the tortilla and ate it. Wow is all I can say they are delicious!!!!!!!!!

Lots of chiles, lots of tortillas never with mayo..... I’m going to try that this afternoon

If you are ever in Amarillo stop into Lupita's and get a chili relleno burrito. Its almost spiritual.

I know. I haven’t had one of theirs, but some of the guys on my projects love the food their wives make for them and they know I’m a big fan of Mexican food and they sometimes share with me some of what they have. One day, the painter offered me a few burritos he had in a coffee thermos. I knew it was going to be good because his wife is a real expert at cooking. I buy flour tortillas from her. The three burritos were chili relleno. I think they were the best I’ve ever had. I tried to make some of my own, but they weren’t as good. A lot of people don’t think of rellenos as good burrito filling.

I wouldn't have known what Hatch Chile was either if I hadn't had some on a Colorado deer hunt once. One of the guides made "Green Chile" for us which was Hatch Chile and pork.( I think that's what he called it). Of course you can't buy Hatch Chile where I live.

The other thing you Western guys talk about is tri-tip. Can't buy that here either with one exception. Sam's club has tri-tip marinated in a sealed plastic bag. (like corn beef). It's very good, I have been eating a couple of these a month.

Just amazing all the great information you get on Monster Muleys.

I wouldn't have known what Hatch Chile was either if I hadn't had some on a Colorado deer hunt once. One of the guides made "Green Chile" for us which was Hatch Chile and pork.( I think that's what he called it). Of course you can't buy Hatch Chile where I live.

The other thing you Western guys talk about is tri-tip. Can't buy that here either with one exception. Sam's club has tri-tip marinated in a sealed plastic bag. (like corn beef). It's very good, I have been eating a couple of these a month.

WVHUNTER,

These are the guys I order from: https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/

Great customer service and a fair amount of product. Being so far away, you may want to have it air shipped to make sure it's fresh. Delivery is gonna be pricey. I have ordered fresh chile and roasted/peeled chile. The fresh chile arrives in boxes and it is always fresh. So far it has come regular mail (cheaper) and has never disappointed. Roasting it is not hard.

I have also ordered the roasted/peeled. It comes in frozen packs, maybe 10-12 or so in a pack. That should be shipped air freight; it comes with some dry ice and it too has always been good.

Sounds so good, I think I'll build some tonight. Stuffed with chicken or shrimp, cream cheese, cheddar, pepper jack. Lots of good refried beans to go along!!

Well this sounds really good- any favorite recipes using the Chili's? Like others have said, we have nothing like this over here as well. I like Mexican food and this looks and sounds very good.

Yep, it was good! Did mild with chicken for the wife, and shrimp with a little more heat for me. Pure awesomeness right there. We must have got it right, no lunch for me tomorrow!!!

0FA32B2A-1EC4-4D32-AC92-0B00FA8B51CB.jpeg

BCA7948D-300E-4525-842B-E54906CB36A8.jpeg

C5C17FDF-DF7F-449B-A20F-F2D9332AED20.jpeg

Care to share the recipe for this Gunnihunter?
John,
Here's my basic recipe. I use pork loin because it is so easy to cut up and I like the end result. Many recipes call for pork butt / shoulder. I've changed it over the years and still experiment. Play with it and make it your own.
Ingredients:
2 lbs pork, cut in 3/4" pieces
1 & 1/2 qt roasted and peeled green chile, chopped, Hatch or Pueblo (mild, medium,or hot mixed to your liking. I suggest starting mostly mild so you don't make something you cant eat
1 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 lg onion chopped
4-6 garlic cloves minced
1 tbl ground cumin
1 tbl mexican oregano
1 tbl ground coriander
regular olive oil
3 15 oz cans of low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup all purpose four
2 tsp salt

Directions:
Shake cut up pork with flour in bag, shake off excess. Brown pork in olive oil and remove. Soften chopped onion in same pot with olive oil scraping up brown bits. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute only. Return meat and add chicken broth. Add chopped green chile and tomatoes. Stir in spices. Add water if needed to consistency that looks right to you. Maybe a 15 oz can more or less. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Add water if needed.

John,
Here's my basic recipe. I use pork loin because it is so easy to cut up and I like the end result. Many recipes call for pork butt / shoulder. I've changed it over the years and still experiment. Play with it and make it your own.
Ingredients:
2 lbs pork, cut in 3/4" pieces
1 & 1/2 qt roasted and peeled green chile, chopped, Hatch or Pueblo (mild, medium,or hot mixed to your liking. I suggest starting mostly mild so you don't make something you cant eat
1 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 lg onion chopped
4-6 garlic cloves minced
1 tbl ground cumin
1 tbl mexican oregano
1 tbl ground coriander
regular olive oil
3 15 oz cans of low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup all purpose four
2 tsp salt

Directions:
Shake cut up pork with flour in bag, shake off excess. Brown pork in olive oil and remove. Soften chopped onion in same pot with olive oil scraping up brown bits. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute only. Return meat and add chicken broth. Add chopped green chile and tomatoes. Stir in spices. Add water if needed to consistency that looks right to you. Maybe a 15 oz can more or less. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Add water if needed.

Thanks Gunnihunter- I am going to try it soon!!!

A local meat shop in Metro Denver, Tony’s Meats, recently had Waygu Tri Tip. I had never seen that grade Tri Tip before. INCREDIBLE! I marinated it and had it for dinner and went back the next morning to buy another roast for the freezer in case I don’t see again. As good a piece of meat as I’ve ever had.

WVHUNTER,

These are the guys I order from: https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/

Great customer service and a fair amount of product. Being so far away, you may want to have it air shipped to make sure it's fresh. Delivery is gonna be pricey. I have ordered fresh chile and roasted/peeled chile. The fresh chile arrives in boxes and it is always fresh. So far it has come regular mail (cheaper) and has never disappointed. Roasting it is not hard.

I have also ordered the roasted/peeled. It comes in frozen packs, maybe 10-12 or so in a pack. That should be shipped air freight; it comes with some dry ice and it too has always been good.
Hey Doc I ordered yesterday saw the website and ordered. I can't wait Chili Verde this weekend......

Anyone a fan? I've spent the last few days roasting, peeling and eating a few. 100lbs total; a mixture of heat ranges. They are now in the freezer waiting for an elk season or two. Gloves a must. You only get burned once and learn that lesson very quickly.

The xtra hot....they were not making an overstatement.

0ie8i19.jpg

EAOiN2S.jpg

Bottom Sirloin is the cut to ask for, the triangle piece. It is best medium rare with just garlic salt and pepper. Ask the butcher!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom