Have 21pp Best Colorado GMU?

LeviR

Hello. Looking for advice as to where I should hunt in Colorado this year. I have 21 and my Dad has 20 pp and we are looking into hunting unit 10 so that we can also learn the area for Elk once we reach the insane points creep in a few years. Been difficult to find useful info on deer populations in this area. What I have found does not sound all that great for a high pp area. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also any suggestions for a different area? Thanks

Hello. Looking for advice as to where I should hunt in Colorado this year. I have 21 and my Dad has 20 pp and we are looking into hunting unit 10 so that we can also learn the area for Elk once we reach the insane points creep in a few years. Been difficult to find useful info on deer populations in this area. What I have found does not sound all that great for a high pp area. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also any suggestions for a different area? Thanks
Units 44, 66, 67, 201

Eastern plains w outfitter = only spot left in Co that’ll have a good chance at a big buck….
Haha as true as that may be, I don’t pay people outrageous amounts of money to trespass their land. Never had a problem finding the animals myself. I agree that eastern plains would be a good place to find a toad and that most all of that land is private. If I ever do that it will be after I burn all these points and I’ll hunt walk-in properties, etc. and hope to get lucky.

FYI unit 1 and 201 might be close ish to each other geographically but they are completely different. Unit 1 is rugged, steep, remote, thick, just to start. Gorgeous country that can be rewarding but still a SOB IMO. Don't forget about this post and share how you experience went. If time permits bring a fishing pole and or a shotgun too. Some great waterfowl in that area.

FYI unit 1 and 201 might be close ish to each other geographically but they are completely different. Unit 1 is rugged, steep, remote, thick, just to start. Gorgeous country that can be rewarding but still a SOB IMO. Don't forget about this post and share how you experience went. If time permits bring a fishing pole and or a shotgun too. Some great waterfowl in that area.
Have you hunted Unit 1? Glad to finally hear some words of encouragement. I don’t know the lay of the land in that area at all. I live along the front range and I usually hunt big mountains close to home. Thing is, I’m not looking for a B&C record, but I’ve always heard great things about every one of the Northwest Colorado units. It takes 17 points to draw Unit 1 3rd season and if it takes that many points there are herd numbers and big animals. Everyone gonna have an opinion…

Hmmm.... I smell a 3rd season unit 1 turn back tag hitting the list.

I suggest you take a drive and visit the unit sooner than later. Access is extremely limited due to private land, And remoteness. Don't let the number of points it takes to draw fool you into the kind of hunt it will be.

As far as the poaching goes, I've never herd of any significant poaching on the unit. I've hunted the Utah side a lot and it's not an issue over there, not sure why us utards would suddenly have a change of morals across the boarder in unit 1.

Like I said I suggest doing some scouting sooner then later, for the 5 guys in line behind you on the alternate list. Or wait till the last minute to turn it in so it hits the leftover list that would make somone happy.

But who knows maybe it will be just what your looking for in a hunt. But judging by what you've said so far you are in for a surprise.

Perhaps poaching isn't so bad now but during the last oil boom the area suffered.

I have not big game hunted unit 1. Took me 1 or 2 trips there to realize this unit is not for me. Now I have been out there multiple times for other reasons and big game isn't one of them. I've been fortunate to hunt every single one of the NW Colorado units some multiple times except unit 1 and that was by choice. Enjoy the experience.

Have you hunted Unit 1? Glad to finally hear some words of encouragement. I don’t know the lay of the land in that area at all. I live along the front range and I usually hunt big mountains close to home. Thing is, I’m not looking for a B&C record, but I’ve always heard great things about every one of the Northwest Colorado units. It takes 17 points to draw Unit 1 3rd season and if it takes that many points there are herd numbers and big animals. Everyone gonna have an opinion…
Herd numbers not so much. Could you possibly stumble up something special? Yes there’s a possibility of that in any Colorado. Unit 1 is very interesting unit to say the least. I’ve grown up in and spent majority of my life in NW Colorado and have only messed with it twice in helping friends who had cow tags. Both times were absolute azz kickers. There’s really not much information on 1 or those whom have knowledge of it. It’s basically the forgotten unit of the NW corner and it definitely doesn’t play like 2,10 or 201. None of the NW corner units have really been that great for muleys in quite some time with the struggling herd numbers. I think a lot of people blindly apply for the NW corner thinking the mule deer hunting will follow suit of the quality of the elk hunting and quickly find out it’s on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. However it appears your friend had a positive experience there 3 years ago. I would just struggle with blindly throwing 21 years of applying at a unit I know nothing about and have never stepped foot in. But that’s just me. I hope things work out for you and your dad and you check back in with how it went.

Coloradoboy

JakeH has the right read on this...and he concluded by saying, "--you are in for a surprise." It won't be a pleasant surprise, big disappointment is more like it.

I am trying to do you a favor when I suggest you turn your tag in (which required 12 resident points to draw in 2021), let CO keep your tag fee and get your points back. Then go hunt unit 1 with your dad in 2022 and if you like what you see you can go in 2023 but I'll bet you $100 bucks you'll be glad you saved your 21 points and you'll look elsewhere for your CO deer hunt.

Not many have mentioned much of any positives about 1. One thing can be assured is there are very few tags. If you get off the main roads you can pretty much be assured you won’t see a gob of hunters. Everyone raves about unit 44 and gunnison units. They all have gobs of elk hunters to contend with. Although deer numbers may not be like they were a few years back in nw Colorado units there is something to be said about hunting back country alone rather than battling other hunters. 1 has a lot of isolated country where you never know what sized buck you may find. The upper tier bucks also may not get pounded like some of the more popular units.

With that said, 1 may take a lot of time to figure out and find whoppers. This same thing is true in all Colo units with the new later rut season dates and more tags issued.

Not many have mentioned much of any positives about 1. One thing can be assured is there are very few tags. If you get off the main roads you can pretty much be assured you won’t see a gob of hunters. Everyone raves about unit 44 and gunnison units. They all have gobs of elk hunters to contend with. Although deer numbers may not be like they were a few years back in nw Colorado units there is something to be said about hunting back country alone rather than battling other hunters. 1 has a lot of isolated country where you never know what sized buck you may find. The upper tier bucks also may not get pounded like some of the more popular units.

With that said, 1 may take a lot of time to figure out and find whoppers. This same thing is true in all Colo units with the new later rut season dates and more tags issued.
LOL, there is literally 1 main road, and its only about 10 miles long.

There is one other main road on the south end, but its locked up by private land owners. So there is roads to a lot of the unit, but you just cant use them.

You are correct there are not many tags and you will not be battling other people (unless you hunt the one road in the unit)

I'm not saying its a bad unit, but it is not a unit to put in for with zero or very little knowledge of just because it takes a bunch of points. Like I said you will be in for a big surprise once you go get boots on the ground.

I know the unit fairly well, but have never hunted it. I would love to have a tag for it. But that will probably never happen as I'm not willing to wait that many years to get a tag for it. Defiantly would not be burning 21 points on it, especially resident points. But that's just me, the guy can do what he wants.

I second what other's have said about going on two hunts.

I live in one of the best elk units in Montana. Every year I see this. Hunters draw with friends or family thinking they are going to have the hunt of a life time together. It rarely works out that way. Even though the unit I live in produces B&C class bulls every year it is just not that easy to find a big bull on public land. If you are unfamiliar with the unit it is even tougher. Most hunters struggle to find one 350 class bull. Finding two only happens to the very lucky. Having two hunters trying to find a big bull is a sure way to have a very stressful hunt. Likely that best CO mule deer units are the same.

Oh man unit 1 is the very bottom of my list for deer in Colorado. It is amazing how people will pile up 20 plus years of points and then apply for a unit they have never stepped foot in. That country is unreal unforgiving and remote. Sorry but even if you gave me a unit 1 tag I would be looking to trade it. Low deer number low density and country that will leave you broken. Not to mention they NW is not managed at all for quality deer. It is managed for trophy elk at the expense of deer…

Depending on what season you pick one good storm will shut you out of the country.

This is interesting stuff on unit 1, I knew the NW units were remote but I thought they were fairly lower elevation and more easily navigated than the higher country. I guess it’s just steep w few rds maybe

I hope they go in there and both kill 240" bucks! Bucks are walking around with canes and riding jazzies in that unit. They aren't being killed and will have some age on them. Go hunt it, there isn't much better anymore.

I hope they go in there and both kill 240" bucks! Bucks are walking around with canes and riding jazzies in that unit. They aren't being killed and will have some age on them. Go hunt it, there isn't much better anymore.
You obviously haven't been in the unit. I hope they do well too, but I know better.

This is interesting stuff on unit 1, I knew the NW units were remote but I thought they were fairly lower elevation and more easily navigated than the higher country. I guess it’s just steep w few rds maybe
Unit 1 is not like any if the other units, the access is hindered in multiple ways.
1. There is only one access point into the unit from Colorado, you can get to a few more places but you have to come in from Utah.
2. The southern and Eastern border is monument with zero access. The western border is Utah with limit access, and the northern side is limited by the bridge that crosses the river is barely wide enough for a truck to cross. All other access to the unit is from utah.
3. The private ground in the unit utilizes virtual all other accessible areas and they don't let you travel through the land.

The Deer numbers are low, if you are elk hunting that's another story. The unit is loaded with elk, witch I believe is one of the main reasons the deer numbers are low. There are some good bucks running around I'm sure, but they are far and few between.

Unit 1 is not like any if the other units, the access is hindered in multiple ways.
1. There is only one access point into the unit from Colorado, you can get to a few more places but you have to come in from Utah.
2. The southern and Eastern border is monument with zero access. The western border is Utah with limit access, and the northern side is limited by the bridge that crosses the river is barely wide enough for a truck to cross. All other access to the unit is from utah.
3. The private ground in the unit utilizes virtual all other accessible areas and they don't let you travel through the land.

The Deer numbers are low, if you are elk hunting that's another story. The unit is loaded with elk, witch I believe is one of the main reasons the deer numbers are low. There are some good bucks running around I'm sure, but they are far and few between.
Such pain in the ass access = big bucks! Let’s party and take 3 240” bucks!

And where you can get access the ground is brutal, thick and steep and since it is very dry there is minimal feed etc. It is hard to explain what unit 1 is like to someone that has not been there... When I worked for Moffat County Weed and Pest we had access to several of the private land holdings. We would see good numbers of elk and great bulls but never more than a handful of deer. We picked up a lot of good elk sheds in that unit over the years, but never found anything great for deer. There was one year we saw a 190 buck with extras in unit 1. He ended up swimming the river and in 201 as there were not any doe on the Unit 1 side and there was a pretty good group of doe on the 201 side... Time will tell, unit 1 is going to test any hunter deer or elk... Access is hard the land is hard. The elk will shelter in the monument, and nearly everything that is not straight up and down steep and rocky is private...

You obviously haven't been in the unit. I hope they do well too, but I know better.
I'd take unit 1 over any unit with OTC elk hunters, and a ton of tags. I would rather go hunt it and see 1 buck, but not see 1 human. If any unit could kick out a monster 240+ it could potentially be unit 1. The genetics are there, the age class is there, they know going into that they are going to have to work their tails off. You can have 44, 55, 66, 67 and all the 140" bucks left in those units. Give me the solitude of unit 1. I'm jealous. @JakeH Doesn't like it because he wouldn't be able to drive to his dead buck and throw it in whole.

And where you can get access the ground is brutal, thick and steep and since it is very dry there is minimal feed etc. It is hard to explain what unit 1 is like to someone that has not been there... When I worked for Moffat County Weed and Pest we had access to several of the private land holdings. We would see good numbers of elk and great bulls but never more than a handful of deer. We picked up a lot of good elk sheds in that unit over the years, but never found anything great for deer. There was one year we saw a 190 buck with extras in unit 1. He ended up swimming the river and in 201 as there were not any doe on the Unit 1 side and there was a pretty good group of doe on the 201 side... Time will tell, unit 1 is going to test any hunter deer or elk... Access is hard the land is hard. The elk will shelter in the monument, and nearly everything that is not straight up and down steep and rocky is private...
Where were the elk sheds? Public or private? When I was in college sheds were laying all over in the monument, I'm sure some Utards pick them all up before May 1st in the monument every year now.

I'd take unit 1 over any unit with OTC elk hunters, and a ton of tags. I would rather go hunt it and see 1 buck, but not see 1 human. If any unit could kick out a monster 240+ it could potentially be unit 1. The genetics are there, the age class is there, they know going into that they are going to have to work their tails off. You can have 44, 55, 66, 67 and all the 140" bucks left in those units. Give me the solitude of unit 1. I'm jealous. @JakeH Doesn't like it because he wouldn't be able to drive to his dead buck and throw it in whole.
It would get mighty hot walking around unit 1 wearing those sweet muffs. Makes a gut wonder how many times you plan on shooting to wear muffs?

It would get mighty hot walking around unit 1 wearing those sweet muffs. Makes a gut wonder how many times you plan on shooting to wear muffs?
As many times as necessary.
Ss I thought you liked my muffs. Only takes one shot to damage your hearing, especially with a muzzle break. I've lost more then enough already. I will keep my muffs.

I would too, but I know the unit and know what I would be getting myself into, and I live 45 minutes from the unit. With 21 points he had alot of other options on the table. Hopefully the guys buddy that talked him into the unit has some good info for him. I also hope he goes and scouts it out sooner than later so he knows what they are in for, 21 points is a lot to burn. Personally I would have went with 10 over 1 if I had that many points.

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to go with unit 1 after talking with a friend who hunted it 3 years ago. Should be similar to 201 being they are so close together and both such small units.
Did you draw unit 1??

Thanks. I’m definitely excited and been doing my homework for years now! Hopefully it all pays off. You ever hunted it?

A5EB6F7F-F4F6-4BF1-9853-3567DB15CA70.jpeg

Wow, I'm guessing LeviR actually went and did it.

According to the CO draw stats a unit 1 third season deer tag went to a resident with 21 points and another tag went to a nonresident (his dad?) with 20 points. Just as he outlined in the opening of this thread.
Wow, he did it! He spent 21 on a 9 point tag. Hope we hear how it goes, should be an adventure!

Deer Hunted Unit 10 3rd season in 2018. It was dry then and things haven’t gotten any better.
Observations:
1. Don’t equate a high PP draw to big herd.
Calling bs on that. Saw 15-20 deer a day, 3-5 bucks.
When my buddies hunted it 2006-7, they saw 45-50 Bucks per day!
2. Don’t equate a high PP draw to lots of big bucks.
Calling bs on that. Two biggest bucks I scouted went 140. I am sure drought conditions impacted horn growth. When my buddies hunted it 2006-7,
they both shot 170 class bucks (muzzleloader). They did see bigger bucks.

- Good news, didn’t see many hunters. 2 to be exact and they were hunting cow elk. Also saw the biggest bull elk (7x7) I’ve ever seen in my 40 years hunting in CO! Brought home a good supply of venison. Giant Muley, rack not so much! Enjoy your hunt.

You won’t hear about it, but 1 of the top 5 bucks will come from 22.
22 isn't what it once was, even 5 years ago. There is a reason the points it took to draw 4th season nose dived from 20+ down to 16. And even if a giant is killed its unlikely some random dude with little to no experience in the unit will be the lucky one taking said top 5 buck. They are 3 years into a slaughter on mature deer that's been taking place on 22 and surrounding units, CDOW isn't doing 22 any favors. There are better units to burn the points on.

22 isn't what it once was, even 5 years ago. There is a reason the points it took to draw 4th season nose dived from 20+ down to 16. And even if a giant is killed its unlikely some random dude with little to no experience in the unit will be the lucky one taking said top 5 buck. They are 3 years into a slaughter on mature deer that's been taking place on 22 and surrounding units, CDOW isn't doing 22 any favors. There are better units to burn the points on.
[/QUOT

Some little to known random dude killed a book non-typical head last year.

Some little to known random dude killed a book non-typical head last year.

Lol OK. You got me. 22 is the freaking best unit in the country, 230+ bucks running aroundall over down there. Everyone put in for it, you herd it from butts.

Nevermind the countless guys that know the unit that have spent a fair bit of time there saying it's gone way down hill. Butts knows best.

FYI just about any unit in the state could kick out a book buck on any given year, doesn't mean you should burn 20+ points on them. But hey you might luck into a giant.

Either way you are about 2 months late with your suggestion.

Lol OK. You got me. 22 is the freaking best unit in the country, 230+ bucks running aroundall over down there. Everyone put in for it, you herd it from butts.

Nevermind the countless guys that know the unit that have spent a fair bit of time there saying it's gone way down hill. Butts knows best.

FYI just about any unit in the state could kick out a book buck on any given year, doesn't mean you should burn 20+ points on them. But hey you might luck into a giant.

Tell you a true story Kids ! I hunted 22 1972,73,74- when I was kid, so to speak. ‘72 was amazing , the number of deer & quality too !!
Fabulous hunting area !! Mind Blowing! Duck Creek was it !!
Then then the bottom fell out- the Monster Winter of ‘72-‘73 hit, deer died in piles by the
thousands , ghastly- No BS there. ‘73, deer gone- Dead !!! ‘73 I was there, asking what the hell happened ? ‘74- last time there, tried several areas in 22, same crap, No Deer, dead, gone, Kaput !!!
Never went back !!! CPW just kept selling permits over the counter @ $ 50 plus until 1999
- then they finally realized they had damn near
exterminated the whole herds everywhere
- Duh- in Colorado. True story ! So sad. ???
Slow learners ?
Jerry Gold- in Windsor, Colorado ?????????????????????

Tell you a true story Kids ! I hunted 22 1972,73,74- when I was kid, so to speak. ‘72 was amazing , the number of deer & quality too !!
Fabulous hunting area !! Mind Blowing! Duck Creek was it !!
Then then the bottom fell out- the Monster Winter of ‘72-‘73 hit, deer died in piles by the
thousands , ghastly- No BS there. ‘73, deer gone- Dead !!! ‘73 I was there, asking what the hell happened ? ‘74- last time there, tried several areas in 22, same crap, No Deer, dead, gone, Kaput !!!
Never went back !!! CPW just kept selling permits over the counter @ $ 50 plus until 1999
- then they finally realized they had damn near
exterminated the whole herds everywhere
- Duh- in Colorado. True story ! So sad. ???
Slow learners ?
Jerry Gold- in Windsor, Colorado ?????????????????????

Well Jer I’ll tell ya a true story…
In the early 2000’s when I was young kid growing up in Meeker, 22 was pretty damn good. Was routine to see 300 plus deer a day and probably 50 plus bucks a day. I vividly remember having my first deer tag at 12 years old and riding around in the truck with dad looking at buck after buck. I missed a buck that was probably 190 plus that morning. Luckily a younger dumber one gave me a shot an hour or two later.

A94A0B75-9C27-4F8B-8177-6CD94E8CBFC9.jpeg
A94A0B75-9C27-4F8B-8177-6CD94E8CBFC9.jpeg

Yes, Jake I’m not lost on any fact you are describing, however I’m lost on the fact that you are stating “Butts” knows best.?
Where did that come from?
I hunted 22 in 2017 killed a decent deer. I feel allot of that country is thick enough to hide big deer. Just my opinion.
Don’t understand the personal jabs, but to each their own.

Well Jer I’ll tell ya a true story…
In the early 2000’s when I was young kid growing up in Meeker, 22 was pretty damn good. Was routine to see 300 plus deer a day and probably 50 plus bucks a day. I vividly remember having my first deer tag at 12 years old and riding around in the truck with dad looking at buck after buck. I missed a buck that was probably 190 plus that morning. Luckily a younger dumber one gave me a shot an hour or two later.

View attachment 78891View attachment 78891
Long time between 1974 & the early 2000’s- I’d hope it got some better anyway ! Good for you
as a kid growing up !!! You had a great time I bet ! Good going !
Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado

Long time between 1974 & the early 2000’s- I’d hope it got some better anyway ! Good for you
as a kid growing up !!! You had a great time I bet ! Good going !
Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado
I guess that what I was trying to say was that perhaps there is hope that some 10 to 20 years from now it could come back like that it did from from when it fell off over the decades. I remember being a little kid when we had a bad winter. Want to say it was 96- but it was much similar to 07/08 and it took out a huge chunk of the deer herd. Within a 10 year span or so things rebounded significantly. It seems like as of recent 2015 to 2018 were pretty solid for big bucks and the last 3 to 4 years have absolutely tanked. However I feel with extremely poor management across the state in conjunction of the progression of technology into hunting i I think we will see a abrupt end to quality mule hunting in Colorado for the foreseeable future unless we see some major restructuring of management and tag cuts. I think the only way we could truly fix it with the state things are in are for we as hunters to refrain from harvesting young deer and eating tags if they don’t find that older mature age class buck. Which is something I would venture to say 80 percent or more of tag holders each year refuse to do.

My guess is there were major changes way back when the cpw switched over from otc to all limited deer units.

Winterkill and drought impact doe health and fawn recruitment. Also the number of doe tags issued. It’s impossible to produce more bucks if there are few does.

Also, from what I’ve seen in the nw corner of Colo water sources are lacking. I remember way back when there used to be large herds of antelope everywhere. After several severe drought years you could drive miles upon miles west of Craig and not see an antelope. The only antelope I saw for a number of those drought year was in the subdivisions outside of Craig with water. The same is true with deer.

Yes, Jake I’m not lost on any fact you are describing, however I’m lost on the fact that you are stating “Butts” knows best.?
Where did that come from?
I hunted 22 in 2017 killed a decent deer. I feel allot of that country is thick enough to hide big deer. Just my opinion.
Don’t understand the personal jabs, but to each their own.

Would you burn 21 points on a 22 tag?

Yes I would , however this is with the caveat I have experienced that unit .
Points in Colorado are irrelevant IMO at this stage of management.
I don’t see any units that lend its self better for a NR hunter to stumble on a giant.

Jake what’s your pick with 21 points?

Yes I would , however this is with the caveat I have experienced that unit .
Points in Colorado are irrelevant IMO at this stage of management.
I don’t see any units that lend its self better for a NR hunter to stumble on a giant.

Jake what’s your pick with 21 points?
21 points on the line I am putting in for unit 10 personally. As I suggested above to the guy.

There may be some better units out there but I know 10 well. Know 22 fairly well too, and its not even a question on which one I would pick between the two.

I guess that what I was trying to say was that perhaps there is hope that some 10 to 20 years from now it could come back like that it did from from when it fell off over the decades. I remember being a little kid when we had a bad winter. Want to say it was 96- but it was much similar to 07/08 and it took out a huge chunk of the deer herd. Within a 10 year span or so things rebounded significantly. It seems like as of recent 2015 to 2018 were pretty solid for big bucks and the last 3 to 4 years have absolutely tanked. However I feel with extremely poor management across the state in conjunction of the progression of technology into hunting i I think we will see a abrupt end to quality mule hunting in Colorado for the foreseeable future unless we see some major restructuring of management and tag cuts. I think the only way we could truly fix it with the state things are in are for we as hunters to refrain from harvesting young deer and eating tags if they don’t find that older mature age class buck. Which is something I would venture to say 80 percent or more of tag holders each year refuse to do.
This. I don't see the state cutting tags to a level that will make a meaningful difference. It's on us to conserve trophy quality mule deer hunting. And a major problem is that most guys out there that must put a tag on something will take a 3-1/2 year old 4x4 with good genetics over the 6-1/2 year old heavy horned 3x4. To each their own, but we're just deteriorating genetics to the point that the deer that do reach maturity will lack what is required to produce a 190-200"+ set of antlers.

I live, hunt, cruise,, and what not all the NW Colorado units every year, all year, and every season. Ain't anyone of them worth 21 points. I just can't get over the number of hunters that keep throwing double digit points at has-been units. I guess the drive to hunt and hope for the best based upon a personal dream is real, making the USA the best place on earth. BTW my best buck came from a 3 pt unit.

Hunt the way that makes you happy.

21 points on the line I am putting in for unit 10 personally. As I suggested above to the guy.

There may be some better units out there but I know 10 well. Know 22 fairly well too, and its not even a question on which one I would pick between the two.
That’s why it should be your top tip!

Points can be a curse. I started grabbing points in multiple states for multiple species 25+ years ago. I have used up pretty much all my points except my deer points in WY, CO, and UT. Elk and antelope always seemed to take precedence. Before you know it you have all these points and now feel like you have a choose a unit where you can hit a home run. An injury forced me to turn in a 66 3rd about 4 years ago. Now I am most likely 2 years away from being able to draw that tag again. Last year I said what the heck I'm going to grab a Bit 2 Muzzy. Figured I was a shoe in when someone with 23 points grabbed it. Im hoping for CO to go to banking points so I can cash mine in for a couple hunts. Might not be popular but would work for me.

Take 22 4th season. Best hunt in the state.
Yeah not even close. Maybe a decent unit 5-7 years ago, but not any more. Can you show me the top buck from 22 last year?

22 4th is possibly a mid range hunt now. Been in 22 my entire life and the last 4-5 years have been the worst it has ever been and the quality is lower and the numbers are lower every year. Maybe if you had a big old chunk of private, but not on public anymore...

Curious, how many days a year do you spend in 22? How many days were you in 22 the last 5 years. I know the my numbers and I know that since 1992 the quality of bucks in 22 has not been lower than it is today.

Yeah not even close. Maybe a decent unit 5-7 years ago, but not any more. Can you show me the top buck from 22 last year?

22 4th is possibly a mid range hunt now. Been in 22 my entire life and the last 4-5 years have been the worst it has ever been and the quality is lower and the numbers are lower every year. Maybe if you had a big old chunk of private, but not on public anymore...

Curious, how many days a year do you spend in 22? How many days were you in 22 the last 5 years. I know the my numbers and I know that since 1992 the quality of bucks in 22 has not been lower than it is today.
I think this can be said for most of the West. I started traveling to CO to elk and mule deer hunt in 1980 and it was crazy the amount of deer I would see. I still think the elk heard has a lot to do with the decline. I hunted a ranch N of Craig over 10 years from 1990-2000 and every year we saw more elk and less deer.

IMO, it's not even worth responding much to post like this anymore. I live here, hunt here, have access to private land here and no matter what, someone is always smarter and knows better than me (along with several others) and all the white haired old guys who's families have lived here for generations teaching me their ways. No worries though, I wish them an enjoyable hunt and experience.

Oh, that's what you were trying to say? Because to me it kinda sounded like you were discounting Jerry or dogging him. I hope people don't get all pissy when I ask about how I should spend my 19 NR points next year.

Oh, that's what you were trying to say? Because to me it kinda sounded like you were discounting Jerry or dogging him. I hope people don't get all pissy when I ask about how I should spend my 19 NR points next year.
Nope wasn’t dogging. Just saying that in the past some units have recovered from rock bottom. As far as your 19 points go… should of probably burnt them 15 years ago but I’ll gladly lend my thoughts and opinions when the time comes.

I think a lot of younger guys don’t know how horrible deer quality was prior to Colo going to all limited. It didn’t take many years of limiting tags before Colo acquired world class B&C standings.

Unfortunately the cpw has totally botched this up with the increase in deer tag quotas and rut season dates even with declining populations. As many have pointed out using cwd as an excuse to sell more tags! It’s become a $ thing rather than a management thing. It will likely take years to recover…and even longer if the cpw doesn’t discontinue the current 5 year slaughter policy!!!!

Nope wasn’t dogging. Just saying that in the past some units have recovered from rock bottom. As far as your 19 points go… should of probably burnt them 15 years ago but I’ll gladly lend my thoughts and opinions when the time comes.
Some day I with have to burn mine. I may need some help. Buddy is set on 44 fourth but I might be willing to look else were.

44 has great genetics. The question is will bucks live long enough to mature? With current tag allotments, late season dates, governor/auction tag hunters, etc the odds are slim.

44 has great genetics. The question is will bucks live long enough to mature? With current tag allotments, late season dates, governor/auction tag hunters, etc the odds are slim.
There’s always a couple big boys that live to fight another day. Unless the stars and the weather align just right, 44 can be an absolute brutally tough, grinder of a hunt.

There’s always a couple big boys that live to fight another day. Unless the stars and the weather align just right, 44 can be an absolute brutally tough, grinder of a hunt.
That is why we put in there this year. We figured with the tough conditions the last few years, if the weather was good this year it could be great. Twenty six points just wasn't quite enough.

I think a lot of younger guys don’t know how horrible deer quality was prior to Colo going to all limited. It didn’t take many years of limiting tags before Colo acquired world class B&C standings.

Unfortunately the cpw has totally botched this up with the increase in deer tag quotas and rut season dates even with declining populations. As many have pointed out using cwd as an excuse to sell more tags! It’s become a $ thing rather than a management thing. It will likely take years to recover…and even longer if the cpw doesn’t discontinue the current 5 year slaughter policy!!!!
I remember years ago my cousin from Colorado would come down to hunt deer with me in NM. He would get excited when we would see mediocre bucks. He would tell me "In Colorado, if you don't shoot that deer the guy right behind you will." Then CO went to all draw for deer and intensely managed their herds. I was fortunate enough to draw a Unit 44 third season tag with three points!!! We got big snows right before the opener and the hunt was close to magical. I shot a 194" four point, and he shot a 200-incher. I saw dozens upon dozens of 160-170ish type bucks. Looks like I will never draw 44 again, and I have heard the quality of that unit has dropped significantly.

Hmmm.... I smell a 3rd season unit 1 turn back tag hitting the list.

I suggest you take a drive and visit the unit sooner than later. Access is extremely limited due to private land, And remoteness. Don't let the number of points it takes to draw fool you into the kind of hunt it will be.

As far as the poaching goes, I've never herd of any significant poaching on the unit. I've hunted the Utah side a lot and it's not an issue over there, not sure why us utards would suddenly have a change of morals across the boarder in unit 1.

Like I said I suggest doing some scouting sooner then later, for the 5 guys in line behind you on the alternate list. Or wait till the last minute to turn it in so it hits the leftover list that would make somone happy.

But who knows maybe it will be just what your looking for in a hunt. But judging by what you've said so far you are in for a surprise.
I agree with you Jake and i have hunted the unit no way i would burn 21 points on the tag. And if you remember right i just told you the other day it was one of my least favorite units i have hunted in Colorado. Very few deer and there is just not a ton of area to hunt. The potential is definitely there but speaking from experience in the unit NO WAY it worth 21 points. Best of luck if he decides to keep the tag but. If you want advice hold out for unit 10.

Haha as true as that may be, I don’t pay people outrageous amounts of money to trespass their land. Never had a problem finding the animals myself. I agree that eastern plains would be a good place to find a toad and that most all of that land is private. If I ever do that it will be after I burn all these points and I’ll hunt walk-in properties, etc. and hope to get lucky.
Kicked up some super nice bucks rooster hunting out there in December, but it’s a crap shoot if the walk in allows deer hunting or just small game

Yes indeed- mule deer have been clobbered by Winters & the CPW for years. I wrote a piece about ‘72-‘73 Disaster not long ago . I was
there & saw it fall into hell starting in ‘73- could not believe my eyes ! Beyond horrible - the losses ! I stopped hunting area 22 in 74, never went back for 40 years. ???????
Jerry Gold - Windsor, Colorado

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom