Have 21pp Best Colorado GMU?

I agree with you Jake and i have hunted the unit no way i would burn 21 points on the tag. And if you remember right i just told you the other day it was one of my least favorite units i have hunted in Colorado. Very few deer and there is just not a ton of area to hunt. The potential is definitely there but speaking from experience in the unit NO WAY it worth 21 points. Best of luck if he decides to keep the tag but. If you want advice hold out for unit 10.
I live 6 hours away from Unit 1 and 10 and I don't have the time to drive that far to scout in advance. I will say that I was hesitant to draw this tag but also like I said, I chose this unit based on my friends' experience there. If they had gone to 10 with great success, I would have chosen unit 10. You say you saw very few deer. My friend said he had an itchy trigger finger every day until he found the buck he wanted. I do think it could be a difficult hunt from an access point of view, but it is what it is now. I've got the tag and I'm not looking to leave empty handed.

I'll keep killing booners and out of my zero point unit. So will my dad whose been doing it since the 80s. Points doesn't equate to inches and not every unit is on a down trend.
Go get em tiger. I'll keep killing booners out of my zero point unit and so will my dad soon as we kill two in unit 1 this year.

Wow, he did it! He spent 21 on a 9 point tag. Hope we hear how it goes, should be an adventure!
1 of 4 applicants with 9 points drew. 14 points was the cutoff for 100% draw success rate this year. Not a 9 point tag, unless you like to gamble your success rate. I was also taking my dad's non res into consideration as well so that we could make the hunt as a team. Next in line non-res had 17 points. Keep working on better ways to sound like a dick. You're getting there.

Wow, I'm guessing LeviR actually went and did it.

According to the CO draw stats a unit 1 third season deer tag went to a resident with 21 points and another tag went to a nonresident (his dad?) with 20 points. Just as he outlined in the opening of this thread.
Yes we drew the tags.

53944AD8-9997-4BB8-A63E-0F5E09011717.png

For a hunt with your Dad with very few other hunters to compete with, it should be a good hunt. And if Zero point units have a few boomers…….
I suspect you will have a great hunt! Good luck

1 of 4 applicants with 9 points drew. 14 points was the cutoff for 100% draw success rate this year. Not a 9 point tag, unless you like to gamble your success rate. I was also taking my dad's non res into consideration as well so that we could make the hunt as a team. Next in line non-res had 17 points. Keep working on better ways to sound like a dick. You're getting there.
Okay, I was actually wishing you luck on your adventure, it sounded exciting. I don't care where anyone spends their points, no magic formula and I was rooting for it to work out for you, but now I guess I don't really care. Have a fun hunt, hope your Dad finds a nice buck.

Not a 14 point tag by the way, 10 would have done it.

That’s not really how it works. If 1 person in 4 drew with 9 points, that means you would have drawn with 10 (100%). But of course, it took 20 points for your Dad to draw, no question about that. That would have been the deciding factor for me. Again, you are past the “what should I do” stage. No real reason to say you made a good or bad choice at this point. You have a good tag. Have a blast.

View attachment 91362
For a hunt with your Dad with very few other hunters to compete with, it should be a good hunt. And if Zero point units have a few boomers…….
I suspect you will have a great hunt! Good luck
Thanks we are hoping for the best. I checked those stats awhile back as well. 5 harvest out of 5 for 4 years in a row! Sounds like pretty good odds to me

That’s not really how it works. If 1 person in 4 drew with 9 points, that means you would have drawn with 10 (100%). But of course, it took 20 points for your Dad to draw, no question about that. That would have been the deciding factor for me. Again, you are past the “what should I do” stage. No real reason to say you made a good or bad choice at this point. You have a good tag. Have a blast.
Thank you we plan to have great time. Not true though, the person with the least amount of points that drew with 100% success had 14 points. 4 res drew with 9 pts. and 1 got a tag, 2 res drew with 10 pts. and 1 got a tag, 1 res drew with 11 pts. and did not draw their tag, one drew with 14pts. and got their tag and I drew with 21 pts. and got my tag and one non res tag was given to my dad with 20 pts. He beat out the non res that put in with 17 only by three pts. Pretty sure we played the game well this year. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Thank you we plan to have great time. Not true though, the person with the least amount of points that drew with 100% success had 14 points. 4 res drew with 9 pts. and 1 got a tag, 2 res drew with 10 pts. and 1 got a tag, 1 res drew with 11 pts. and did not draw their tag, one drew with 14pts. and got their tag and I drew with 21 pts. and got my tag and one non res tag was given to my dad with 20 pts. He beat out the non res that put in with 17 only by three pts. Pretty sure we played the game well this year. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

7C57690A-72BC-435F-8329-78A92DE26CBD.png

If I give an opinion, I will tell you. But where drawing is concerned, I deal with facts.

I realize that the draw stats are confusing due to the applications above 9 points that didn’t get a tag. HOWEVER, not all apps actually make it to the drawing. The numbers you see are who applied for the tag. Some may have withdrawn before the actual drawing (maybe after reading this thread???). Some may have been disqualified for some reason. And didn’t make it to the drawing.

Fact: if you had applied for that tag with 10 points, and had no issues with your application, you would have been drawn. 100% chance. The people with 10-11 points who weren’t drawn either withdrew or had a problem with their app.

This drawing uses preference points, which means that highest numbers of points are always taken first. No way a 9 point application jumps over a qualified 10 point app.

Not trying to be a D&-$, just trying to give you the best info going forward. Don’t take my word for it, call the CPW and ask them.

The above facts dont take into account that their could be a computer screw up, but chances are it was as I describe.

Also the data shows that your Dad would have drawn with 18 points. But that didn’t leave him much of a cushion

Again good luck on your hunt. Wish I could still hunt with my Dad. He died at 55 before I started hunting in western states, so never got to share that with him. I envy you

Hmm. After writing the last post I got to thinking (dangerous I know!). I have never put in for a unit that has a “hybrid” drawing. I suppose that is a possibility. Is this a unit that is subject to hybrid drawing rules instead of a straight preference drawing?

If it had been hybrid, the person with 11 points should have still drawn. Because the hybrid tags are only 20%. So first 3 taken would have included 11 points

Last edited:
Hmm. After writing the last post I got to thinking (dangerous I know!). I have never put in for a unit that has a “hybrid” drawing. I suppose that is a possibility. Is this a unit that is subject to hybrid drawing rules instead of a straight preference drawing?
not enough tags for the hybrid i think?

not enough tags for the hybrid i think?
So the hybrid is 20% of the tags... So there would be one hybrid tag possibly. But to qualify for the hybrid the hunt code would have needed to have 3 years of 10 points or more required for a resident... Not sure if 1 has had 3 years in a row requiring 10 or more...

Also the hybrid is only good for residents as all hybrid tags are drawn on the resident side...

Thanks and best of luck to you and your dad! Let me know how it goes?

I had a great hunt seeing a ton of great bucks and finally settled on a 33”wide buck with only 2 days left!
Will do! Dad shot a bull second season a few days ago and we’re cutting it up now. Getting ready for the deer hunt. That’s a good size buck! Post a pic. Glad you had a great hunt!

Thanks everyone for the info you provided. It was definitely an interesting unit to hunt! We were not able to find any monster bucks but left with a couple nice Muleys. Access points is the most difficult aspect in hunting unit 1 I think. I would definitely hunt there again but I would allow more time for travel and exploration of the area. Pictures attached

D5E9842C-449E-40B2-A552-3F0D70CA6585.jpeg

3D70684C-3329-47FC-9361-CB5B7593AFE7.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the info you provided. It was definitely an interesting unit to hunt! We were not able to find any monster bucks but left with a couple nice Muleys. Access points is the most difficult aspect in hunting unit 1 I think. I would definitely hunt there again but I would allow more time for travel and exploration of the area. Pictures attached

View attachment 94590

View attachment 94592
Congrats guys glad you had a great hunt and thanks for sharing!

I would too, but I know the unit and know what I would be getting myself into, and I live 45 minutes from the unit. With 21 points he had alot of other options on the table. Hopefully the guys buddy that talked him into the unit has some good info for him. I also hope he goes and scouts it out sooner than later so he knows what they are in for, 21 points is a lot to burn. Personally I would have went with 10 over 1 if I had that many points.

Be interesting to see how it goes. I dumped my 23 pts on unit 10 and hoping for a good antler growth year!

Hmmmm.... I don't want to do it.... but I got to say I told you so.

This is not a slight on you Levi, more for the jokers giving me hell a few months ago. Lol

This is not a slight on you Levi, more for the jokers giving me hell a few months ago. Lol
No complaints here! I’d like to thank Jake and everyone else for all the help, tips and camping locations! Also the unit biologist and warden for all there expertise and suggestions they are doing a great job of managing the NW corner as a great hunt with trophy quality and buck per doe ratio(56-100). Glad I showed up 3 days early to check out all the locations I researched and tips from others! Thanks again PRC

Yeah it’s all good though! We found a couple nice bucks. No wall hanger but I also got to scout the area for elk as well. Found a big herd with some nice bulls. I think I’ll keep saving for a different unit though. We’ll see, the elk points creep is getting out of hand. I have 22 pts. now and will still need to save up for a few years.

Yeah it’s all good though! We found a couple nice bucks. No wall hanger but I also got to scout the area for elk as well. Found a big herd with some nice bulls. I think I’ll keep saving for a different unit though. We’ll see, the elk points creep is getting out of hand. I have 22 pts. now and will still need to save up for a few years.
A positive attitude about any hunt is the only good response, and contrary to what we all hope, accumulating points ANYWHERE only guarantee an opportunity to hunt. I'd say a good portion of CO hunters with your points came home with an unpunched tag.

Good on you and your Dad Levi. You gave it your best shot and hopefully made some lasting memories.

Yeah you did. Glad you guys had a good time. The unit is definitely better for elk than it is deer. I hope the info I gave you was helpful. If you do end up drawing elk in unit 1 send me a message I will help you out if I can.

I have always said the hunt experience is more important than the bone you end up with. The industry and for the most part these forums are about the score. My most memorable elk hunt is not my biggest by a long shot.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom