Hawken advice

Silentstalker

Long Time Member
So this next year Im thinking about taking my son on a muzzleloader deer hunt here in Utah on a general tag.

I currently own a CVA Kodiak in .50 cal with a Nikon 1x power that shoots pretty well with SST's and powerbelts.

My other muzzleloader is a T/C Hawken I built in the '90s. Its really fun to shoot and I have killed an elk and a deer with it on the two hunts I have used it.

My last hunt with it was probably 10 years ago. I was shooting around 100 gr. of pyrodex and a Barnes mz type bullet. It was a .275 gr. bullet. It shot pretty well out to 100 yards.

My questions are these,

Should I consider buying a new barrel for my hawken? My hope is maybe getting a faster twist to increase accuracy. If so, what barrel/twist should I look at? What kind of accuracy can one expect from a modern barrel? Should I look at a .50 cal barrel?

What are your thoughts? The alternative would be to buy a new inline? Or obviously hunting with the old barrel which shoots decent.

While getting a New Barrel go ahead & get a New Stock too!:D (Inline!)

My old Hawken is by far the most accurate Smokpole I have!

But the only thing it'll shoot is Round Balls & they Ain't near heavy enough for Big Game!

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

I guess it really depends on the caliber doesn't it. I've shot a lot of deer with a 50 cal. round ball and two hits and two downed deer with a 45 cal round ball and then there's, of course, my 62 cal round ball flintlock that knocks them off of their feet. Not to speak of the elk it's downed.

Of course that was the day when blackpowder hunters were really primitive hunters, not just a bunch of anti-suppository hunters. Dont't get me wrong, I am not against you in-liners, but only because that darn 32" barreled Hawken wouldn't fit in the RZR and they shoot fake blackpowder better. I might be force into one because of those two issues. I hate that cleanup after every couple of shots.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom