hb149...take 3

Thanks for the message! It looks like maybe plenty of NR emails and the organizations on the ground in Wyoming that helped a lot did the trick. I was hoping with fingers crossed, but I figured the way it was sailing along that we'd had it! BuzzH, are there any other Bills still moving along that we can help out on that I may have missed, as I'm about "billed out" for this session, LOL?!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-15 AT 12:28PM (MST)[p]

Yep, just listened to the consent vote, only 8 yes. And it appears I drew my Elk tag.

>Cool, can this bill be proposed
>on a yearly basis?

Next year should be budget bills only, so I believe that's it for these type Bills until the 2017 session.

Nonres DIY/OYO hunters better be ready to battle since the 60/40 was defeated! I hope I don't have to tell you "I told you so" in the coming years when whacko legislation is proposed. Guess who usually takes it on the head?

Question is, were you dropped on your head?

NR DIY guys did speak up, they helped kill 149, which needed to happen.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-15 AT 05:44PM (MST)[p]Question is...are DIY nonres going to drop Buzz on his head when his stance is similar to his 90:10 stance this year? Only time will tell! Be ready to go to battle nonres! Mark my word...today was a sad day for DIY nonres hunters!

It will be the day when I mark your word after reading the BS you came up with wanting 149 to pass, LOL! The only reason you wanted it to pass was for your own selfish greed to have a better chance at drawing tags, regardless of cost because you can afford it, and for no other reason! Please take your sad day BS somewhere else because NRs have now won two encounters with the Legislature this session. I'm sure there will be more and all we can keep doing is what we did on these two to defeat them. You and any other NR that wanted this Bill 149 to pass should go hang your head in shame!

BuzzH I don't understand you?

quest I Don't see it passing.

Buzzh Its already passed the House and just made it out of the Senate TRW committee this morning.

I see it passing big-time.

Buzzh NR DIY guys did speak up, they helped kill 149, which needed to happen.

Good job Buzz! I see you are not taking any credit, but I know first hand you were on top of getting 149 killed!

As of late last week, Wy state Senators were beginning to hear from residents who were against 149. There was much talk yesterday at the Capital, after the committee hearing on HB208, about a last ditch effort to kill this outfitter bill and it most definitely helped. I've always said 3rd reading is when the sparks fly!

To you NR out there that were in favor of this, it saddens me to think that your me me attitude overshadows the youth and blue collar guys this would have hurt.

To WYOGA: I knew a line would be drawn in the sand when outfitters took on resident sportsman! Outfitter welfare needs to stop, once and for all.

How about we let the Wy G&F manage things from here on out? Wishful thinking I know...

All I can say is a big THANK YOU to ANYONE that had a part in killing this Bill, especially any residents who stood up to the WYOGA to stop another ridiculous subsidy that they don't need and aren't entitled to!

Thanks to all that helped defeat this bill. I couldn't find the debate portion on today's audio but will look again tonight. Without knowing what was going on in the background, after yesterday's passing it looked like a done deal. $1100 elk tags and $500 antelope tags just aren't good for hunters.

jm77 You posted Good job Buzz! I see you are not taking any credit, but I know first hand you were on top of getting 149 killed!
I had to go back and re read all the post on this and with your post it makes since to me now. Thanks.

All I can say is I can't wait to see what comes up in the legislature next year since the 60/40 didn't pass! Get ready for a battle nonres DIY hunters!

Buzz is so connected that me a lowly nonresident that doesn't know any senator
personally got the message as well from 5 legislators. I had contacted all except 2 who had no working e-mails last night. Jims will have an I told you so moment within the next 2 years. All of you guys stroking Buzz's ego are simple fools. He has already shown his distaste for nonresidents with 90/10 which he assured you would pass with his support. You guys have really short memories, if you forget where a rattle snake is at and step near it later in the day it will bite you. Buzz is that snake wait and see.

I'm not stroking BuzzH but will give credit when do. I didn't think it would pass anyway.

Where do you see anyone stroking BuzzH? All I see is a couple of sorry losers crying in their spilled milk!!! IMHO this may actually signal somewhat of a shift where the NRs now at least have some people listening in Cheyenne. A lot of Legislators are now aware of the huge amount of money NRs represent in running the G&F Dept. and that it's not dependent on the WYOGA to stay afloat, but rather NR monies

Topgun, Take a look at the onyourownadventures website! I shake my head at all of the guys on the that website that are congratulating Buzz on a job well done when he supported the 90/10 bill that was trying to bite them in the butt!

>Topgun, Take a look at the
>onyourownadventures website! I shake
>my head at all of
>the guys on the that
>website that are congratulating Buzz
>on a job well done
>when he supported the 90/10
>bill that was trying to
>bite them in the butt!
>

My suggestion is to quit worrying about BuzzH and yourself and get with the program trying to help everyone stay in the game. It's the right thing to do and if he's on your side on one thing and against you on another that's just the way the cookie crumbles! IMHO you and Cornhusker really need to rethink your priorities and do what is right for the majority and not just for yourself. I could have very easily gone with the two of you on this flip flop in that the extra money wouldn't have meant squat to me if I want a tag, but it just wasn't the right thing to do when looking at the common good of everyone. Try it sometime, as I can wake up every morning feeling pretty damn good about myself. Can you?

Topgun, You may not have read my posts in detail. I'm considering ALL nonres DIY/OYO hunters with my posts. I don't think a lot of Wyo nonres DIY hunters realize the battle they are going to face in the coming years since 60/40 didn't pass.

Topgun, do you agree that nonres usually take it on the chin when it comes to tag allotments, outfitters, licnese fees, etc? I guess I want to warn Wyo DIY nonres hunters that things could potentially change for the worse.... similar to what happened in NM in the coming years. DIY nonres will hardly have a voice to prevent it! I'm not belly-aching but telling nonres DIY hunters that they will be fighting an uphill battle in the coming years..especially after 60/40 failed!

RE: hb149...take

So when tag fees go up 10 to 20 percent in the next 2 years to increase revenue which will happen will that be for the common good? Buzz already stated in the 90/10 thread that his concern is more tags for residents is that the common good you speak of or are nonresidents a part of this common good you speak of?

Topgun if you passed any of your detective courses when you a working investigator you should know a little about the psychological profile of a guy like Buzz. You rethink your thoughts and that's without demeaning every thing you write as Buzz has done on previous posts and threads.

Oh, I've read them all in detail or I wouldn't be saying that I disagree with you completely. There is no way that we're going to be fighting any more of an uphill battle after 149 went down than we have been for the last 10 years or more and if you think so I think you're wrong. Sure I agree that it's always the NR that takes it in the chin, but I don't think there is any way this failed Bill will do anything more to worsen it. You say again that we will hardly have a voice and that we'll be fighting an uphill battle because 149 failed and I just say baloney, other than we've been fighting an uphill battle for a long time! The next thing we'll probably see is another Bill to raise license fees and seeing as it's been a long time since the last one it's overdue for one to pass. I would hope a Bill or Bills will ask for a reasonable increase for everyone and if that happens I would also hope that everyone would get on board and support it. If Bills come up that are not in our best interest, we have now shown that we can at least fight for what we think is right and maybe win another one or two down the line. IMHO giving in to 149 would have been the worst thing we could have done without at least going down with a fight.

>So when tag fees go up
>10 to 20 percent in
>the next 2 years to
>increase revenue which will happen
>will that be for the
>common good? Buzz already
>stated in the 90/10 thread
>that his concern is more
>tags for residents is that
>the common good you speak
>of or are nonresidents a
>part of this common good
>you speak of?
>
>Topgun if you passed any of
>your detective courses when you
>a working investigator you should
>know a little about the
>psychological profile of a guy
>like Buzz. You rethink
>your thoughts and that's without
>demeaning every thing you write
>as Buzz has done on
>previous posts and threads.

Tag fees should go up across the board at least 10% and maybe as high as 20% to catch up with inflation alone since the last increase, which I believe was in about 2008, and IMHO it certainly would be for the common good of everyone who uses the outdoors as a pastime. Prices on everything have to go up over time and license fees aren't exempt from that fact! I would hope that if it happens that it would be at least that much or more for the resident sportspersons as well, but if it's not there isn't much any of us can do about it. That is a far cry from what 149 would have done by socking it to a segment of the public that might not be able to afford it by putting them right out of the game.

Why do the two of you keep bringing up BuzzH in this discussion? He has his reasons for things as a resident just like we do as NRs. If he's for or against something and it's contrary to what we want there is nothing we can do to change that, so why make a big deal about it just because he's so outspoken and good about riling people up?! You, of all people with your background, know that he lives for stuff like this to be in the limelight, so why keep him up there? Just cut through the bull and discuss the issues and forget about BuzzH!

This legislation was a pile of chit from the get-go and outfitter welfare. It also was a direct assault on the North American Model.

Not to mention that it took another 20% of the available elk, deer, and pronghorn tags from the NR youth hunters. The only way a NR youth hunter could apply for the special allocation of tags is if they paid the full fee.

I doubt many, if any of the loudmouths on this thread would be willing to put their kids in for special elk tags at nearly $1100 a pop.

Everything goes up in price over time, and I don't expect, nor should you expect your NR fees to remain flat for decades. Get with the program, moderate fee increases, across the board, every few years is way more palatable than 20% more of all NR elk tags going to nearly $1100 a pop. Same with pronghorn and deer.

Oh, and cornhusker, what percentage of the available elk, pronghorn, and sheep tags does your corn-eating state allocate to NR's? I'm talking allocation of draw tags, not raffle and auction tags.

When you support legislation in your state to allow 16% of your LQ bull elk tags to be issued to NR's, 25% of your sheep tags, and over 60% of your pronghorn tags...come back and we'll have a discussion.

Until then, I don't want to hear your usual high-pitch whining.

Feel lucky that Wyoming has been this generous up until now...most states, including the one you live in, aren't even close.

Sorry if I don't trip all over myself subsidizing the outfitter industry and supporting their crap legislation. You know, legislation that has created a tiered license structure, the wilderness guide law, a preference point fee increase from $7.50/point to $100/75/50/40/30 for SMEDP, license fee increases ONLY on NR's etc. etc.

If anyone has broken it off in your a$$ as a NR hunter, its WYOGA, not the Residents.

There are plenty of people that need a big thanks on killing this pile of a bill...its always a team effort.

To all the NR's that took the time to comment and help kill this thing, congratulations to you all.

BTW, jm77 has been known to sandbag, more than a little bit, regarding his influence on the GF and Legislature.

I think this is a good thing for all sportsman. Even you hard head ones (jk). Yes, in the future tag fees will go up and tag allotments will change, unfortunately it's the future of our sport.

My issue is the organization pushing the bill. When outfitters send their lobbyists to the capital we all lose. Prime example is New Mexico.

The worst thing, most of the lobbyist are being paid via donated money. They are not paid based on performance, and could really care less if a bill passes or not. If it doesn't they will just write again.

My State Senator, Hank Coe, told me on 2/18/2015 that hb 149 would likely not pass. He was one of the Senators that actually voted for it at the 3rd reading. My guess is the local outfitters and WYOGA treated him well. Go figure.

just sayin...mh

I, for one, would have paid to play if that was my only option but I'm glad it's not.
Thanks again, Wyoming, and thanks to those involved who watch out for the "only nonresidents".
I think there are a few Wyoming influence-peddlers who really do think about the big picture. I think Buzz and Jeff are a couple of them.
Thank you!
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-15 AT 11:06AM (MST)[p]In my opinion, had the Legislature thought of the NR hunter as a cash cow, this would have passed. The problem I see for the NR, is that every year we show an increasing willingness to pay $1100 for an Elk tag.
This year, for the 1st time ever, a special GEN tag wasn't 100% for every applicant that applied. Based off last years numbers, there had to be an additional 175 apps for that to happen. I won't have the numbers for a few days but it appears that at least several hundred addl applicants stepped up to pay that $1100. It doesn't take a genius to see that if the customer is begging to pay more money, you eventually let them do it.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-15 AT 11:11AM (MST)[p]No reason to raise the NR special allocation to 60%, just increase the special fee by a couple hundred a tag. The price will level out demand.

Win-win.

Yea, $1300 might do it. $1100 sure isn't having an affect. NM didn't lose a dime when they went to 6% nr and added the $65 license. With our willingness to pay, we're our own worst enemy.

Wapiti Bob,
Last year Huntin Fool promoted the WY General Bull tag as "the best opportunity in the west" for an elk hunt. Pretty much said the same thing this year. Like them or not, they have clout as to how hunters apply for tags.

I just found out, as you said, a few NR friends did not draw the special tag as first choice. All of this in a years time....it's getting crazy & looks like it will even get crazier with tag demand.....not just in WY either.

Looking at the draw report there were almost 300 more 1st choice apps this year. Those guys all but wiped out the carryover that would normally go to the 2nd choice pool.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom