Head up to Alaska next spring

Gator

Long Time Member
Tell me some good area's we should go see.
My wife wants to see those little tiny Bears catch a fish or 2.
Also Travel around that molehill of a Mtn.

The Native center-Anchorage
Downtown Anc- shops and Alaska Railroad

Museum at the University of Fairbanks and gold panning at Gold Daughters

Talkeetna-lots of shops, gold panning, float plane trips to checkout Denali

Katmai is where to go to see the bears catching salmon. It is not cheap to go there. Might want to google time of year etc.

Denali is a must. I recommend taking the train there, staying overnight and taking the bus back. Again google is your friend.

Depending on when you’re coming I have an AirBnb that may be available. I could give it to you for a great price. I we also have vac packers, freezer space etc if you need it. Shoot me a PM or email with any questions you may have. I could help you out with charters etc. always willing to help out a MM member.

[email protected]

Thanks
Haven't decided if we are going take travel trailer up or fly in and rent a 4x4 jeep.

Thanks
Haven't decided if we are going take travel trailer up or fly in and rent a 4x4 jeep.
There are tons of options to boondock in cool places and lots of rv camping with hookups too if that's your style. Honestly, there are tons of road system adventures that just aren't in the cards for folks that aren't pulling a trailer or pitching a tent, as lodging options are non-existent within several hours drive

Last edited:
My wife is thinking instead of driving up pulling a trailer we will fly and rent a jeep and do motels.
I kind of like the idea of having the trailer so we could stop wherever we decided to stop that night.

My wife is thinking instead of driving up pulling a trailer we will fly and rent a jeep and do motels.
I kind of like the idea of having the trailer so we could stop wherever we decided to stop that night.
What about fly up and rent an RV? Lots of people do that.

Line it up now, you're almost too late if you want to go in July, which is peak fishing for reds. Mid to late august for silver fishing.

I don't know how long you're staying, but I would make a loop from anchorage - Denali - across the Denali Highway, down to Valdez, take the ferry to Whittier, and explore the Kenia if you have time. Lots of things to do in between there.

I would fish halibut out of Ninilchick area. Skip Homer and Seward fishing its stupid $$$ and most all of the captains are in it for the money. They don't care if you catch anything.

I'd line up a salmon fishing charter on the Kenia or Kasiloff vs DIY. If you've never fished like that, odds are slim you will catch much of anything. I see lots of tourists think they can just do like other tourists and catch fish... jokes on them, they're all clueless. haha

Time the Denali trip when you can see the mountain. Odds are it will be fogged in, its about a 1 in 4 days type deal if that that you can see it. Better to see it early in the summer than later in the summer when the rain starts.

You'll have to fly out to see bears, or you might get lucky and see some on the Russian river right at dark. Depending on when you are coming up. Really not many places you can see bears where you can drive to.

Reds on the Kenai. Park bus ride to Wonder lake. Stop the bus and catch some grayling. Dig some clams at deep creek. Stay in Vrbo or B&B's. Catch a halibut. Stay outta Anchorage, it's a cess pool.

Reds on the Kenai. Park bus ride to Wonder lake. Stop the bus and catch some grayling. Dig some clams at deep creek. Stay in Vrbo or B&B's. Catch a halibut. Stay outta Anchorage, it's a cess pool.
Can’t get to wonder lake this year, clams are closed at deep creek. Anchorage is probably better than where you’re coming from

Tell me you're not from Alaska without telling me you're not from Alaska

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom