Heading to Ontario for bear, can't wait!

sambo3006

I've never killed a bear, although I've seen several while hunting in Colorado and Utah. Just never had a tag in my pocket. I hunted Ontario once before for bear in the spring of 1988. Hunted over bait with a supposedly reputable outfitter and never even saw a bear although the baits were hit almost every night after dark. Only one hunter in camp killed a bear and it only went about 150 lbs.

After years of wanting a bear in the worst way, I'm going to give it another try. Going with an archery only outfitter in Ontario who has an excellent reputation for both size and quantitiy of bears. I'm leaving on the 30th and looking forward to it. Got my bow and fishing rods ready to go.

One of these years I'd like to do a spot and stalk hunt in a western state. I've also got a buddy who runs bear and lions with dogs, might have to chase them that way too.

Been all over Ontario exploring but have not had the pleasure of pursuing bear there yet. What part of the province you hunting?

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Well, I'm back from Ontario. I hunted 7 days over bait and saw a total of one small bear. Probably a 120-130 lb bear came sneaking in on the second evening of the hunt and never would commit to the bait, instead just cautiously sniffing the air and looking around. I watched it for about 10 minutes and it ended up 15 yards from my stand. I could have twisted way around in my stand and shot through an opening in the brush but elected to pass up the low quality shot at a small bear early in the hunt. Even though I didn't shoot a bear I don't regret passing up that one. The outfitter said that the bear was probably scared of larger bears as they can be quite rough with each other, sometimes injuring small bears. He said he was pretty sure the bear never smelled me or it would have disappeared in a hurry.

There were two other hunters in camp and both had shots at bear. One of the guys killed a 200 lb boar on the fifth day of the hunt and the other guy hit about a 300 lb bear square on the shoulder on the fourth day of the hunt and it was not recovered.

I've now hunted a total of 13 days over bait in Ontario and seen a total of one bear. I promise I'm not smelly or loud! I've killed a pile of deer with my bow so I'm just chalking it up to really bad luck. The outfitter was super and went above and beyond to try to put me on a bear, even letting me hunt an extra day free of charge. I'm not about to give up on my quest for a bear, I'm planning to hunt again in the spring somewhere.

NRA Life Member

Leftys are the only ones in their right minds--and I ain't talkin' politics!

If you want to shoot a bear come to Idaho. Bears are one thing weve got lots of. Good luck in your quest.

I feel your pain Sambo!. A few years ago, I hunted over an active bait 13 strait days without seeing a bear! When I finally did see one, it made up for it. Nothing like watching a bear come into 12 yards for some dinner. Success will come.

HayZeus, where about in Idaho do you live? Got hounds?

Judast, go to idaho, hell just pick a spot in idaho and you'll probably do way better than Ontario.

If you want to kill a bear send me a PM and I'll get you our guides info in Alberta. If you can't kill a bear with him, you'd better quit!

UGAhunter I live in the Magic Valley area. I dont have dogs but houndsmen around here seem to be willing to take people if your willing to go and can keep up. I usually bait in the spring and theres always dogs striking off my baits. I dont mind and the houndsmen are always willing to let me chase with them but I like hunting over bait. Just buy a hound hunting permit and your legal to go with them.
Just pick a spot is right, I shot a bear a few years back that was sitting in a russian olive tree 80 yards off of Interstate-80. It lived in a corn field all summer. Not where you would think a bear would live but he did. Lots of bears here for any type of hunting you like to do.

I've taken plenty of bears over bait in Idaho, and I love it! Using hounds ads a different element of excitement, and can be enjoyed with the whole family. All my hound friends live in Utard, and you know the difficulty that causes in trying to get NR hound hunting permits in ID. I'd love to run the baits and have someone with hounds let me run off my baits with them. I'm in SE Idaho.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom