Hebgen question

huntFX4

Heading back to my home area where I grew up on the eastern Yellowstone for some sturgeon and catfish and hopefully walleye.

On the way back to Utah in mid June we plan to spend 3-5 days at Hebgen. I don't flyfish and we will fish from kayaks when the wind lets us.
Wondering if anyone can give me a little advice on lures to use and maybe tactics up there.

Thanks

I've caught a few nice bows on the south side of the grayling arm around the bay at Rainbow Point campground. Both trolling around in a kick boat with my fly rod using dragon fly nymphs. Also from the point, west of there by some vacant houses with a big silver castmaster off the shore.

I've fished from shore by the dam and along the hwy on the north side of the lake a bunch over the years and never have had a bite or hooked a fish up there. Maybe just bad luck, but nothing has ever seemed to work along there.

Cheers,
Pete

IMG_2644.jpg

I've only fly fished Hebgen so I can't tell you from personal experience on what lures to use. I have fished a lot of lures on spinning and bait fishing tackle on Henry's Lake, Island Park Reservoir, Yellowstone lake and numerous other lakes inside the park. Blue fox spinners are one of the lures I have confidence in catching trout with under multiple circumstances. I'm sure you can catch them on any trout lure that you have confidence in and know how to fish.

I had good luck up the Madison arm near horse butte. If you have on x, there are some dirt FS roads that lead down to the water and some nice protected little bays. Pack raft and a jakes spin a lure in brass and red spots led to quite a few 20” rainbows. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your help. I mainly fish with Thomas spinners and kastmasters here in Utah and do well so I have a few different patterns I will bring. I'm going to try some of theses different lures and look at some of these spots. I've been thinking of the cowbell rigs but don't know how well I could control those paddling a kayak.

Anyone else with ideas I would appreciate the ideas and experience you have. This will be only the 2nd time I've been there.

Always had good luck with Rapalas or popgear/ dodgers with a worm behind them trolling. Madison arm or horse butte would be good areas for kayak. Had days without much luck on the boat and caught 6-8 from the deck of the cabin bottom fishing with a worm waiting for dinner to be ready.... Heading there tonight for 3 days.

Water was murky, so bright Rapalas worked best for us. Fished the outlet for an hour memorial day weekend with worms and caught 6.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom