HELP Area 48 CO.

tractorred

Would appreciate any help or advice for two first timers hunting in area 48 CO. Are there any semi-guided hunts in that area? Thanks for any info.

I have hunted 48 three times, 1996, 1999 and 2002. I killed 2 out of 3 years. My partner went 3 for 3. We hunted the 1st rifle season each time. The 1st trip we had 5 guys kill 5 five point bulls.

Tennesse lakes and Mt. Massive were the best to us each trip. I killed one elk at 12222 ft elevation. Get in shape. We found fewer other hunters in these areas and saw elk every day. Shoot any bull over 300 inches. In 3 trips we have only seen 1/2 dozen bulls over 320.

Last rifle can be either real good or terrible. There is someone that does a guide service there but I forgot his name. I don't believe you need one. There should be snow so you won't have to climb to the top after them. I would watch the weather as the seasons progress to see where the elk will be at the time you hunt. Early snow means early movement and early season hunters will make out great. At the very south end of the unit is a road that takes you back in to Vicksburg, follow it to where the hard road goes to the left and there is a dirt road that goes straight. Hunt the upper elevations to the North. There is a good crossing. The areas south of Twin Lakes will hold elk. The road leaving Twin Lakes going towards Independence Pass around mile marker 76 or 67 will have elk. The pass will possibly be closed! As stated above, Tennessee Pass area will have elk, but again, the elevation is higher and they may have move onward. Best of luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom