HELP!!! Federals Speeds versus handloads 300 Win Mag

excaliber

HELP!!! Federals Speeds versus handloads 300 Win Mag

I've been trying to find some RL22 or H4831sc for almost two years now. I can't seem to get any unless I want to pay the hazmat and shipping fees which makes it too expensive for working up a round.

I have 180 gr Federal trophy copper to test with. My gun is a Rem 700 300 WM 26" barrel. I don't have a chrono yet.

I was wondering if anyone has chrono'd these 180 gr trophy copper rounds? Federal claims 2960 fps out of a 24" barrel. Does Federal make their advertised speeds on this round?

I have a Leupold CDS dial I need to have made and without being able to find a custom round I'm stuck on what to do. I want to hunt with this gun this year.

How far off would the dial be if I had it built for the high BC Trophy Copper round(0.523) versus the Accubond at(.507)?

I'm wanting to load the 180 grain Accubond to around 3000 fps or so and think the Federal load rated at 2960 may just make 3000 fps out of my longer barrel.

any ideas?

RE: HELP!!! Federals Speeds versus handloads 300 Win Mag

I'd shoot in my distances before I ever went off the speeds on the box. Actually, I'd shoot in my distances (200/500/800) regardless, chrono or not. How do you know your clicks are correct out to distance?

RE: HELP!!! Federals Speeds versus handloads 300 Win Mag

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-15 AT 00:04AM (MST)[p]"custom" turrets/cds. Classic cart before the horse scenario.Sorry to come off like a prick, but it is what it is and folks have to learn the hard way. there's no free lunch

I'll offer a little advice that will probly fall on deaf ears..Use the MOA CDS dial that came with the scope along with this http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi actually shoot the load you want and tweak FPS/BC till the output matches real world. Then you can have a turret etched..and hope that the factory ammo stays the same (lot runs differ), that and you always hunt in the same environment/altitude and never change bullets.and thats just the start, depending on the click values your scope throwing,contrary to the manufacturers listed values, they often differ considerably(meanig your chasing your tail trying to figure out wtf is going on) and IF there are no flat spots in the erector system (big if with Leupold).LR is cool on TV, but well over most guys heads

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom