Help for Elk Unit 4A Arizona

• Thread starter Paul Deuling (Guest)
  • Start date
P

Paul Deuling (Guest)

Greetings:

I'm a sheep hunter in Yukon who has been drawn for bull elk in Unit 4A in Arizona during November. Don't know the area and looking for some tips about where and suggestions on how.

Have guided for dalls and hunted for 35 years for sheep, moose, caribou, grizzly but never had the opportunity to hunt elk until now.

Anyone know the area and willing to share their knowledge or even come along? I'm willing to take them halibut/salmon fishing near my place in Southeast Alaska in return.

Regards,

Paul Deuling

unit 4a is teaming with elk...also roads and campers. there is potential for a big bull but nothing record breaking. do what you can to get maps and get away from the road. itll be chilly that time of year (even in az) so be prepared, you might be fine being where your from, but itll still be cold. its a good unit and you should have no problem finding elk, and a decent bull should be no problem.
az79
what do you normally charge for your fishing hunting trips?

Paul where in S.E do you reside? I spent 7 summers up there working to pay for school. I commercially fished for salmon the last 5 years. We live in Wrangell but fished(trolled) off of Sitka and later the Fairweather Grounds. Jim

Howdy;

Thanks for the tips. I've never been to az and have little to go on. Not looking for any record breakers, just a decent representative of the species. Can't take a foreign person hunting as an outfitter is required and I guide for them. Don't charge for fishing, just have people show up if they have the interest in getting here. Just use a skiff or river fish for sockeye, pinks, halibut and coho depending on time of year.

Hi Jim:

Reside in Whitehorse, summers in Haines. Do most of my fishing (recreational) in that area which has improved over the last couple of years. Been to both Wrangell and Sitka and especially enjoyed Sitka. Gotta find my first elk. Good fishing!

Paul, my son and I have hunted 4 A &B a lot. I'll be glad to talk to you about it. We haven't taken any monsters their, but we have always taken an elk. It is an easy unit to hunt, not a lot of rugged terrain. A lot of timber changing to Juniper/Pinion trees rolling out into grass lands in the Northern part. Some large canyons cross the unit. If you don't have a forest service map, I'd be glad to send you one and I'll get mine out and we can circle places where we were successful. If you can get down here before the hunt I'd be glad to run up to the unit (its about 3hrs from Phx). My Son has an early muzzleloader bull tag in a unit close by. Doug

Paul, my son and I have hunted 4 A &B a lot. I'll be glad to talk to you about it. We haven't taken any monsters their, but we have always taken an elk. It is an easy unit to hunt, not a lot of rugged terrain. A lot of timber changing to Juniper/Pinion trees rolling out into grass lands in the Northern part. Some large canyons cross the unit. If you don't have a forest service map, I'd be glad to send you one and I'll get mine out and we can circle places where we were successful. If you can get down here before the hunt I'd be glad to run up to the unit (its about 3hrs from Phx). My Son has an early muzzleloader bull tag in a unit close by. Doug
Don’t know if you will get this Doug but could use some of the same help. Drawn for 2021 November rifle.

Unfortunately this is a very old thread. I wish I had seen it because I hunted sheep in the Yukon around that time with a guy named Deuling. Wasn’t Paul but I can’t imagine all two dozen people up there don’t know each other.

A little button at the top right says “post new thread” or something like that. Or there’s a few newer ones you can dust off. I would also put it in the elk or az section so more people will see it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom