help getting moose meat home from bc

R

ruby

I will be hunting near Fort St John BC for Moose in late Sept and will fly in. I am getting conflicting info on sending meat home via airline. Some say only one 50 lb box allowed, some say all you are willing to pay for at $50/box. Some say depends on space in plane. I hate to show up with met and get rejected.

Anyone with any experience on air Canada? Any advise? Anyone else hunting in the area willing to deliver for a fee? Anyone tried shipping via UPS? I live in central CA, any help/advise appreciated.

I killed a moose two years ago near Ft. St. John and I didn't try to bring meat back. All I brought back was about ten pounds frozen and put in my suitcase. Shame too because moose meat is some of the best wild meat.

I can answer one of your questions. There isn't any UPS service in Ft. St. John, or at least there wasn't two years ago. That makes bringing meat home even more difficult since I would usually ship my gear home UPS and bring meat on the plane.

Some of the planes operating out of Ft. St. John are relatively small so I wouldn't be surprised to see a baggage limit and a boned out moose would be hundreds of pounds so you certainly wouldn't be able to bring it all home.

Of course another issue is antlers and cape. The outfitter took them to a taxidermist that cleaned and salted the cape and took care of crating and shipping them. That cost about a $1,000.

Good luck with your hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-14 AT 03:43PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-14 AT 03:41?PM (MST)

RUBY (Mike)
How long do you plan on being up there in BC for your Moose hunt?
I have driven from Sonoma Co., CA to Alaska way back in 1984 when the main road HWY 93 was under construction up in BC and taking our time I made the trip to Valdez in 7 days.
Driving is not that hard unless you don't like driving long distance.
You should be able to drive to FSJ in 3-4 days. Have you talked with your Outfitter about the meat and antlers as far as bring back to USA? I would thing that there has to be a place up there in FSJ where you can get Dry Ice. Take at least ONE large cooler for meat. A good pickup with camper shell will be a lot better than wasting money on crating, shipping etc.

This is the way I would go about this hunt, but not everyone is retired like me now. Back then I saved up 4 weeks of vacation, both the wife and I so there was no rushing.

Good luck on your Moose hunt, I was suppose to go on one in Chetwynn, BC back in 1972 but got the shaft by a crooked outfitter....so I turned around and came home to CA. never got to hunt.

Brian

http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Mike...you can drive up to Weed, CA on I-5 and take Hwy 97 there and it goes right straight to FSJ, BC Canada....FYI

Had a nephew take his truck up to peace river and he put a big canvas tarp in his truck bed with snow under it and loaded it up with his moose meat after it was packaged and frozen solid and drove back to the states with it cover by the tarp and snow on top of it, If I remember right it was a 3 day drive and it was cold all the way back.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Canada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Outstanding waterfowl or whitetail deer hunt in beautiful Saskatchewan, Canada.

Urge 2 Hunt

Premier hunts in Alberta for trophy whitetail, mule deer, elk, moose and black bear. Guaranteed tags.

Back
Top Bottom