Help judging

huntFX4

So this is the first year of doing any serious elk hunting for me and I have a HAMS tag in hand. This is the best bull I've found to date. I think he will go over 300 but not sure. I've not had any experience at field judging. This area isn't well known for bulls of the 350 or higher caliber.
Anyone can tell me what you think this bull will go and what it is that puts him at that score? Hoping that will help me figure the judging part out. I'm hoping to find something bigger, but no luck so far.
Thanks in advance.

6 pt bull 7-21 #2.JPG
6 pt bull 7-21.JPG

I don't think he will hit 300 either. Keep in mind for a bull to hit 300" he would need to avg 10" per tine for a standard 6pt frame if he had a 200" base(likely much less).

My guess would be:
Total tine length 100-106"
Total Beam Length ~90"(45" beams)
Total Mass ~50"
Width ~33"
Puts him in the 270-280 range.

I'm by no means an expert, but these guys are guessing where I would as well. The bull has decent eye guards, 2nds, and 3rds, but lacks overall main beam length and has weaker tops (4th, 5th and 6th points). He looks to be about done growing as well.

That bull won’t break 270” and doesn’t have anywhere near 45” mains or 50” of mass. Of course there’s still a bit of growing left potentially but still is definitely not a 300+ type bull

I got him in the 270-280range. 40-42" beams, 12" 1st-3rds, 13" 4's, 7" 5ths, 24" mass. 35" spread, (might be generous on spread)

I would say have fun on your hunt, enjoy the outdoors and who your with. If you get a chance and he makes you happy, go for it. A score is just a score. A memory will be burned into your mind the rest of your life. JMO

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom