help me decide 30, 31, 32, 100 elk

elkantlers

Long Time Member
My 16 year old son and I have Max points for elk. Which unit would you reccomend for us to have a good hunt for 300" or better bulls? We don't have horses and would hunt from a base camp. We do have atv's. Also, would you put in as partners or individual? Thanks, elkantlers

P.S we live in SE Utah about 5hrs from 30-32 and 6-7 hrs from 100

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-11 AT 08:35PM (MST)[p]I don't know anything about those units, but wherever you decide to put in for I would do it as a party so you both either draw or don't draw the tags.

Piper---Would you please explain why you would have them put in as individuals where one might draw the tag and the other one might miss out when they want to hunt together as Father/Son?

You outta clean the mouth wash mist off yer goggles. Where does he say they want to hunt as father and son? He asks whether to put in as individuals or as a party. Piper gave him his two cents. I would also second that. If you draw a tag, you can spend the entire time concentrating on getting the big one for one person instead of trying to fill two quality tags at the same time. Any more, all of them are about equal in terms of quality...

Excuse me Sir, but maybe you don't comprehend or understand the English language! Everything in his post was plural, and therefore, the correct translation is that they both want to draw tags and hunt together like I mentioned. If they just wanted to draw one tag, why would he ask if they should both put in for the draw individually or as partners? DUH!!! If he didn't explain himself right and you are correct, it's not my fault for answering the way I did. If they apply separately, you are correct in that they would have twice the chance to draw one tag to go on the hunt and if that's what they want, then that's what they should do. If they both want to be assured of having tags to go on a particular hunt, then the only way to do that is to apply as partners. Then they will either both draw a tag or not.

Thanks for the comments. I should have made myself clearer on the party or individual application. I would like to hunt together with my son, but I know two Bull elk tags is a pretty big undertaking. I would rather get one tag and do well than both draw and bite off more than I can chew.
I have heard that unit 100 is a fairly easy hunt, as if any unit is "easy", and maybe two tags is doable. I really don't know much about the other units except for they are listed as "excellent" by the WY G&F and are really hard to draw so there must be something there.

Any other thoughts are welcome. Thanks again.

30 has alot more private/public checkerboard.

31 and 32 have boo-coo public.

100 I have never hunted in 100 so I can not feel good about giving advice.

I would certainly go individual applicants.

Maybe 1 of ya draws this year and the other next year ----who knows?

Plus knowledge/experience are the two most important aspects of a hunt unit.

Robb

I have hunted 31 32 and 100, 31 is great but very very hard to draw, 100 is fun but its a huge area, theres usually lots of driving,like an antelope hunt, and its also hard to draw, 32 was dissapointing both times I hunted there, 30 is a little easier to draw, and is a good area to use ATVs in, or so I have been told.

Area 100 for sure, I would put in as a party. The area is huge but it holds better bulls than most people think. If you can,i would recomend archery huntin the unit its is a great time.

I would probally aplly for unit 49 in the bighorns. Saw several 300" bulls come out of this area latetly and its not to hard to draw. PM either me or "TG" if you want and we can point you in the right direction.

>30 has alot more private/public checkerboard.
>
>
>31 and 32 have boo-coo public.
>
>
>100 I have never hunted in
>100 so I can not
>feel good about giving advice.
>
>
>I would certainly go individual applicants.
>
>
>Maybe 1 of ya draws this
>year and the other next
>year ----who knows?
>
>Plus knowledge/experience are the two most
>important aspects of a hunt
>unit.
>
>Robb

I have to agree with Robb. I have looked into these units and the access could be key.

I have no idea who "270WhatElse" is, but I don't appreciate him telling everybody to contact me for ANYTHING without asking my permission and he was sent a PM to that effect!!! That is just common courtesy, which he obviously lacks!!! The only thing I can tell you is that the unit he mentioned is not easy to draw because I just looked up the draw odds and it took close to max points in the regular PP draw in 2010 to have a 100% chance at a tag. It showed that 3PPs was only a 25% chance at 2 available tags, so I would have to disagree with his statement that it is not hard to draw there!

Thanks for all the comments guys. I will probably put in for unit 100 as individuals (unless someone can convince me other wise). If one of us gets lucky and draws a tag it will be alot easier to be selective knowing that you don't have to hurry because of another tag to fill. Also, getting to know the area will be very helpful for the next tag. I know that even with max points we are not likely to draw, but somebody does so it may be one of us.

Doing that will double your chances of drawing a tag and is probably a good way to go to gain knowledge of the area, as that is the key to success.

The huntin fool claims that if you have a group application in and you draw with only 1 available tag left every one in the group will be given a tag. Can anyone confirm this? That is different than most other states.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-11 AT 06:23AM (MST)[p]Not to throw a monkey wrench into your almost final decision of unit 100......

But-----

How are ya on deer points?

Might not hurt to cross reference the deer unit (s) available in the overlap elk unit.

Kinda get to see quality and quantity of the deer overlap that ya might want to draw/hunt in the future?

100 elk/131 deer.....

30-31-32 elk/102 deer....

Hhhmmmm.....

Robb

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-11 AT 08:28AM (MST)[p]bragabit---That is true with elk, deer, and antelope draws because G&F figures it won't harm anything if a couple extra licenses are given out in a unit when that happens. That is not the case in the other big game draws like sheep because of the limited number of tags though. If you look at some of the draw odds for units on the G&F website you will occasionally see down where there was just a tag or two left and they issued more tags than were showing. That is due to exactly what you asked because the computer happened to draw a party with more people in it than tags left.

You would have a great time in any of those units, as long as your expectations are reasonable, although it seems that 32 can be hit or miss depending on the year.

Robb, I have thought about the elk/deer thing because we are putting in for 102deer. We have max points for deer as well, like that matters for 102. I don't know what to do, I am so confused ;)

HaHa!

I hear ya-----the more points a guy has the more confused it becomes to put in and draw the best unit!

Robb

thats what i would do i shot a 355 out of 100 two years ago and he wasn't the big one great area i would definitely try to bow hunt it if you can a lot less people out there also take a small rifle to shoot prarie dogs great hunt

One disadvantage to area 100 is the roads when wet are pretty much impassable.Seems like every year someone needs to get rescued out there.I wouldn't consider any of those units too "extreme" as far as terrain goes.There are roads everywhere,so game retrieval isn't really an issue,either.32 can be challenging,as stated above.Trust me,elk know where the borders are!!

it rained for three days before the season opened when i hunted it and i watched a guy try to get his truck out of a ditch for two days afterward before he gave up. Four wheelers are the only way to go out there in that clay.

I would definantly take the wheelers if one of us draws. I would also bow hunt it if for nothing else other than to learn the country.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom