Help me plan my route

mtmuley

Long Time Member
OK, so I have to go to Raton, New Mexico for work. First, I have to go to Park City to drop off someone. Then I was thinking I would head down to Heber City and on to Spanish Fork and over to Helper. From there over to Green River, then East into Colorado on HWY-6 to Grand Junction. You guys from Utah, does that sound about right? From Grand Junction I figure South to Montrose. NOW, where to go from there? Do I go South to Durango, then East on HWY-160 to I-25 then South again? Or should I go East to Gunnison and Canon City to Pueblo then South on I-25? I'm looking to stay on roads that may be maintaned as far as snow, but still the quickest way. I have never driven that part of Colorado. I plan to stay overnite in Grand Junction, or possibly Montrose. Hope some of you guys that have traveled there can give me some help. Thanks guys, mtmuley

Muley... I have'nt been to Raton in 15 years but I would think since you have to go to park city you should just run hwy 40 through Craig over to Denver and then S to Raton. Be sure to take your toys and visit the Whittington Center in Raton.... Its sooooo worth it... Finest shooting facility in the west IMO.

Hard, you read my mind about Whittington. Looks like it will be a 7 day a week long days affair, but I bet I can sneak off sometime. How far does their measured range go? mtmuley

I go to Raton several times a year from SLC to attend benchrest competition at the NRA Whittington Center. They have great ranges out to 1000 yds. in many different venues. Check out their web site for further info.

As far as getting there, you have picked a good way to get to Montrose. From Montrose go east past Blue Mesa Resv. to Gunnison. About 15 miles east of Gunnison, turn south heading to Saugche CO which is about 70 miles. Go south out of Saugche to Alamosa, CO. Go east out of Alamosa to Walsenburg, Co and just past Walsenburg you will hit I-25 about an hour north of Raton...which is on I-25. Sorry, don't have maps in front of me as I driven there so many times it is rote. This is a beautiful drive all the way to Raton.

Yup, I used to live there and travel this route when going back for hunting trips.

>I go to Raton several times
>a year from SLC to
>attend benchrest competition at the
>NRA Whittington Center. They
>have great ranges out to
>1000 yds. in many different
>venues. Check out their
>web site for further info.
>
>
>As far as getting there, you
>have picked a good way
>to get to Montrose.
>From Montrose go east past
>Blue Mesa Resv. to Gunnison.
> About 15 miles east
>of Gunnison, turn south heading
>to Saugche CO which is
>about 70 miles. Go south
>out of Saugche to Alamosa,
>CO. Go east out
>of Alamosa to Walsenburg, Co
>and just past Walsenburg you
>will hit I-25 about an
>hour north of Raton...which is
>on I-25. Sorry, don't
>have maps in front of
>me as I driven there
>so many times it is
>rote. This is a
>beautiful drive all the way
>to Raton.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

So, would you guy from Heber to Helper via Indian Canyon? Or would you go back through Provo Canyon and then through Spanish Fork Canyon? Way more scenic to go Indian Canyon.

You could also just keep going on Hwy 40 all the way through to Denver, hook a right there on I-25 and then a straight shot through Pueblo and on down to Raton.

Or you could go Hwy 40 from Heber to Vernal, from Vernal to Dinosaur, Dinosaur to Rangley, Rangley to Meeker, at Meeker you catch I-70 and from there down I-25.

Burnin' up don't know just how far that I can go, soon be home only just 4 downs to go, I can make it I know I can! You broke the boy in me but you won't break the man! I can see a new horizon blazin' on the Mile High. I'll be where the eagle's flyin' higher and higher! Gonna be your man in motion, all I need's my Broncos team take me where my future's lyin' Tim Tebow's Fire! GO BRONCOS!

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-12 AT 04:14PM (MST)[p]Thanks guys. Good to hear from some that have done the drive. 6ppc, that's a route I hadn't looked at. After looking at a map, makes good sense. I assume the Whittington is open to the public? I will check out their website also. Again, thanks guys. mtmuley feddoc, you used to live in Raton?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom