HELP!!! Need camera advice

lif

My 14 year old son is a serious wildlife photographer. He would like to upgrade his older Nikon setup to a newer setup. He is looking at a Nikon D500 with a nikkor 200-500mm lens and he is also looking at a Olympus OMD E-M1 mark 3 with a Olympus 100-400 mm. Can anyone give me advice to cross reference my sons research? Me wants the Nikon setup but I keep hearing that mirrorless is better than DSLR. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I wish I could help you. Camera tech is mind boggling. Can you simplify the decision by using the brand with a compatible lense mounting system? I realize there are adapters, but there may be functionality issues.

As for dslr vs mirrorless, my simple understanding is that this used to matter more than it does now. Biggest difference I can tell there was is shutter speeds, which matters for sports and wildlife?

Good luck. Post up those live pics. (y)

Incidentally I use a "superzoom" point and shoot. It's a Leica, but you can get more camera for the money. Lots of reviews online. Some of them go up to 125x!

It has a good sensor and lots of zoom and I don't have to carry a bunch of gear. Plus 4k video and about 4000 other things I don't even understand. You can see a few pics from it in my thread here, but they are +/- 10 mp (small).

I'm an old 35 mm canon guy and have been Jonesin' to get back into a "real" camera, but the tech has passed me by (wth is a raw file?). Realistically today's point and shoot has more features that I will ever use.

I would like to help out here. I have had the Nikon 500 and the 200-500mm for about 4 years now. I got them as soon as they came out. It is in my opinion, the best setup for the money. I have used it for whales, deer, elk, and most things with 4 legs. It is an amazing combination that works almost everywhere. I have included some extreme examples of the same setup.

The airplane shot was from an airshow I was at. In these photos the planes are crossing at 500+mph each. The others are stills.

You will not be sorry if you get this setup. Enjoy your choice either way.

Please feel free to ask any questions....
cross2.jpg
cross.jpg
babye1.jpg
heron1.jpg

Last edited:
That Nikon setup is definitely a good one. I'm way more into video though and have gone with the Panasonic GH5 and Leica 100-400mm. Epic combo for filming critters from super long distances.

If video might be one of his favorite things to do, it might be worth a look a the GH5. With it's ETC function it acts like a 1080mm lens in 4K-60p video.

Another thing is it's about half the weight of the nikon setup. With my Slik 613 carbon tripod, manfrotto 700RC2 head, a 15mm f/1.7 lens and a 42.5mm f/1.7 lens the combo is only 7.5 lbs total !!!

Either way he'll be good to go

Cheers,
Pete
www.rumble.com/user/c3hammer

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom