Help to understand Montana's draw system...

robinsg61le

OK... I've been reading up on Montana's deer and elk draw system. I've also put in a call to the department. I continue to be confused as ever. I'm looking for information for non-residents.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Do I need to buy a license to apply for tags?

Anything and everything else would be appreciated. Thanks.

You must apply for either a nonresident deer or big game combo license before March 15. If you are successful then you get to apply for deer and elk permits. If you dont draw a permit you can still hunt the general deer and elk hunts. Hope this helps.
ismith

45f82e4d30de4f30.jpg

What's hard about it? Put in by applying. If you get drawn, you get the tag (deer, or deer elk combo), and you get to hunt the statewide general season.

TFinalshot, ismith explained it perfectly. The Montana regs can be confusing. There was a guy nailed here in the Bitteroot that had been taking 2 muley bucks per year. One on his general tag, one using his permit. For 4 years! As confusing as they may be, it is the applicants responceability to comprehend them. mtmuley

I had this very same question. Out of all the states I apply for Montanas regulations and website seem to be the least user friendly, just my opinion. So if I understand correctly if I want to hunt elk in a draw area where the tags are limited I must first draw a general elk tag that costs like $600 and then I would be eligible to draw for the limited tag draw? The area I want to put in for I don't want to hunt in the general portion of the area but I would prefer to hunt the part of the area that is restricted to a limited quota hunt. But i hate to waste $600 just to be able to apply for a tag that may take me several years to get. This seems like a weird way of drawing for tags. I guess if this is the case I won't likely ever be hunting elk in Montana.

Your understanding is mine as well. I also have the same thought on out-of-state hunting Montana. I think I'll take my chances in another drawing, rather than deal with that hassle and expense. Booooo for Montana wildlife department.

In my opinion you would be better off buying a couple of hundred bucks worth of chance in the Super tag drawing and hunt whereever you want in the state. Granted not good odds but then again you are sinking a bunch of money into it.

Nemont

i believe that if you draw a general tag, then apply for the special tag but are unsuccessful you can get 80% refund on your general tag if you dont want to hunt it. then it is not quite as expensive as purchasing a tag you dont want to use. you would then build points for both drawings. im not 100% so someone may want to add to this and clarify.

t

Orion23, that was my understanding of their system too. I've been toying with the idea of building pts for limited quota elk as they've got some bigguns but it does seem fairly expensive.

yeah, i suppose if i am correct, it will still cost a guy roughly $150.00 to get a point for elk. that is expensive, i wont argue that, expecially for only 1 species.

tb

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom