Help - UT Rocky Mtn Bighorn Intel - 2020 or 2021

huntjock

My brother will draw in 2020 or 2021 and so I am going to start gathering whatever intel I can as soon as I can to help him with his hunt.

Please PM me with whatever info/contacts would be a good place to start. We know nothing about any of the units, although we did hunt the book cliffs road area for elk 22 years ago, so maybe the rattlesnake unit? I think that's what it is called. Certainly open to any/all info.

Thanks!
Neil

Where do you guys live and what type of hunt are you wanting? I spend time in2 different sheep units. Both are way different in terrain and style of hunting.

Hi Blackie6

Not really sure what you mean by what type of hunt, but let me provide some parameters and we'll see where it takes us...

I am in Utah County and my brother is in Davis County. I am 60; my brother is 58. He does triathlons, so he stays in good shape. I am in ok shape. We don't own or have access to horses. He's been involved in Fall sports for the past umteen years - which is why he's only been accumulating points until now. His youngest is finishing up his senior year of (college) football and so my brother should have a couple of human horses (sons) to assist. I will try to keep up :)

I'm going to try to get him a LR rifle that doesn't break the bank or weigh more than 9 lbs or so.

If we could minimize the scouting of where to even begin looking for sheep, that would be a huge win for us. We know nothing whatsoever about the units.

Much gratitude for any guidance you can provide. We are open to all suggestions, etc.

Thanks!
Neil

hjock,
Since you are open to any and all information, I will share a couple of my sheep hunting observations.
Sheep hunting is not anything like hunting deer/elk. Your bro will likely have a greater need for high end optics than a LR rifle. I've taken 4 wild sheep and my average shot for the 4 is under 200 yds. Finding sheep is often the greatest challenge in being successful and sitting and glassing from high vantage points for hours is often more critical to success than being able to shoot long distances, at least in my experience.

Sounds like you are seeking a Rocky ram, but in case you aren't aware, Utah also has Rockies that are the California sub species. They are found in the Newfoundland, Stansbury, and Oak Creek units and are typically smaller, but tags odds are better.

Most of our Rocky Mt. Sheep units have been experiencing some disease event die offs, so right now none of our units are doing as well as they have in the past. I'd keep your ear to the ground to know from year to year how they are doing, so you don't get fooled by a severe event. That's my two bits for what it's worth. Best of luck to your bro!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom