Help With 8 NR Mule Deer Points

brookhunter19

Hi Guys,

I would like some opinions on how to burn my 8 NR MD points in CO.

I am to the point, to where I have been doing so much research on how to burn these points, that I currently have paralysis by analysis, and I need someone to help me get unwrapped from around the axle....:p

Below is my current situation:

I am leaning towards 3rd season, but I could be talked into a 2nd season unit if people think that is the best option. However the 3rd season dates align best with my family schedule, and I should be able to hunt the whole 3rd season, as well as scout a couple of days prior.

It would be nice to harvest something over 165", but in all honestly, I would probably shoot a 150"-155" 4x4 on the last day....

I would prefer to apply for MD in an unit that also has OTC elk tags, as my 60 yr old father will be tagging along as well, and I would like him to have the option of having an elk tag in his pocket for coming along on the hunt. My dad is willing to only harvest a cow, as he is just looking for good elk meat. So let me know if there are some good MD units that have easy to draw cow elk tags.

We have discussed weather, and we both are committed to dealing with weather and bad roads if need be. We feel that we have the current tools to deal with most weather related situations/roads etc...

I feel like I am fairly savvy with today's mapping technology, and I have done well on past MD and antelope hunts where there have been private land issues. So I would entertain unit suggestions, even if there are some private land issues.

Thanks for your help!

Brookhunter

With all your research what units have you been looking at? Maybe someone could help you decide from there? Good luck on your hunt wherever you choose.

Hi Cowhitey,

Good question!

Below are the units I have narrowed down if I were to go 2nd season:

Unit 21: Based on GoHunt and Eastmans information, this unit seems like it would be the best bang for my 8 points, however, it sounds like it is over crowded with other hunters, I am willing to go with this unit, if you guys think this unit is worth drawing even with the hunter pressure....

Unit 44: Seems like the next unit in line for 2nd season if I were trying to get the best bang for my 8 points. I don't know much about this unit, other than it has historically had really good genetics. It also sees like this unit has less deer density than Unit 21, but also less hunting pressure...?

Below are the units I have narrowed down if I were to go 3rd season:

68/681

Thanks!

Brookhunter

A third season tag in a mid tier unit is better than a 2nd season tag in a primo unit. Especially in a unit you’ve never stepped foot in. I’ve hunted both 21 and 44 second season and both of them were flat out tough grinders, and I’ve spent my entire life in around both units. How ever the later season dates combined with some snow could change that hunt dramatically

I personally would rather hunt a better quality unit earlier than the mid-tier later.....usually. But I also would be looking for something in that 190 range and they’ve got to exist to kill them. I also would scout an earlier hunt area. But, I’ve had good luck during earlier hunts too, so.....
The huge upside to the later hunts is that rut and migration. They’re more vulnerable at that time for sure.

I personally would rather hunt a better quality unit earlier than the mid-tier later.....usually. But I also would be looking for something in that 190 range and they’ve got to exist to kill them. I also would scout an earlier hunt area. But, I’ve had good luck during earlier hunts too, so.....
The huge upside to the later hunts is that rut and migration. They’re more vulnerable at that time for sure.
Founder makes a lot of sense here.
I found out last year on my 4th season hunt you cannot always count on weather, migration and rut.
Normally I would agree that the later hunts would provide better opportunity but it seems like in the last few years you can’t count on that happening. The later hunts are pretty much hit or miss. But who knows maybe 2020 will be one of the good years.
I agree with Coloradoboy that unit 44 second season can be tough. I hunted it with my son in 2018. It is a very weather dependent unit.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for taking time out of your day to give me your ideas!

Coloradoboy & Founder, these were the types of comments I was looking for.

I think I have my mind made up on 3rd season, as these dates work the best for my family schedule, and I will be able to spend the whole season hunting, and not fretting over a deadline on when I need to pull out and head home. Hopefully with the slightly later season dates this year, I can get lucky and get a little more rutting/migration activity than normal. I have other hunting plans for the next 4-5 years, so I am trying to force a draw in CO this year....

I think unit 68/681 are still at the top of my 3rd season unit list, as it looks like this is the best unit I can draw as far as genetics go with my 8 NR pts during 3rd season. However, the elk hunting does not look that promising for this unit...

Do you guys know, if my dad will be able to draw a cow elk tag for unit 68 with 0 NR points? He would be happy as hell to harvest a cow elk for meat, while I am chasing mule deer.

Thanks!

Brookhunter

Founder, do you realize his "early" season is late October? I would choose a September season first myself, but second rifle starts on October 24 this year. Bucks are solitary in the thick stuff and not with does. I would either want to hunt them early, in the high country, or later when the bucks start looking for does.

No, it took at least 2 points for a NR to draw a cow tag in both the 2nd and 3rd seasons for unit 68

He could buy an OTC bull tag, but success rates are less than 10%

Last edited:
Founder, do you realize his "early" season is late October? I would choose a September season first myself, but second rifle starts on October 24 this year. Bucks are solitary in the thick stuff and not with does. I would either want to hunt them early, in the high country, or later when the bucks start looking for does.
It didn’t sound like a September hunt was one he was considering. If it is, I like the early rifle. But again, I’m more fond of units with better quality, even if the bucks are harder to find.
Again, I’m looking for a more rare size of buck too, so even in a very good unit, there might only be a few.

Last edited:
I had the 3rd season 68 tag last year. Much like what most people witnessed, it was hot and dry. We seen a few bucks, but nothing over 4 years old. Showed up three days before the hunt and hunted hard till the end. Seen quite a few elk, but there was lots of hunter's chasing them too. It's really neat country, lots of roads on the northern end.

Don’t burn 8 on 62, with these new season dates I’d be jumping all over 2nd season in 44 or 21, anything can happen that time of year, good luck

Brookhunter, I am, or am in the exact same frame of mind and have the same ideas on how to pick the RIGHT(LOL) unit. Trying to figure it out from Pa. (for me) seems damm near impossible. We've been buying point for over a dozen years, thinking we can hunt when we're ready. We pulled two tags 2 years ago and had to turn them back to to a health issue with my wife. We have never hunted Muleys and are excited to do it (target 2022) to pull those tags again as we have plenty of points. I've done exacly like you, Maps-- google--Huntx and ofcourse MM and Bowsite hoping for help. I realize that I don't have much to offer on these western hunting sights but I ask anyway, its the only type of scouting I can do, wish I lived out there.
Hopefully I can give some encouragement and some of the reasons I chose what I did. My main target was always unit 61, I stayed on that target for many years, the funny thing every time I turned around and read reports (comments) there was just as many good as there was bad or horrible. I did ask and get many replies back to me with advice (theres some great people out there). I noticed you mentioned 61, I moved off of that unit as there was too many conversations on how thick it was and how hard it would be from Pa to be successful.
While talking and reading, I kept in mind that I didn't want a high elevation hunt and would kinda like to hunt a more arid area, so I switched units. Many times there were suggestions for other units, I feel like I could pop around from one to another until the cows come home. I don't have the luxury to just hire guides for all hunts so most are DIY and yes that is hard to do without boots on the ground. My point is, with limited or no time in the unit just settle in on one and go with it, they all have good and bad virtues. Hopefully since it'll be a limited area, some guys will help you hone in a little.

Good Luck, I'll pm you the unit I chose, Bill V.

Don't have any info that will help, but I just bought my 8th CO MD point. So, it has been useful for me to follow. Interested in how you guys do. Post pics!

It will be a blood bath this year if the state gets a heavy onset of moisture, hopefully you cashed in your points.

Hi Guys,

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread!

FYI, I ended up going with 3rd rifle season in unit 68, 681, 682

Mainly because the 3rd season dates worked best for my family schedule, and these units seemed like the best bang for my 8 points during 3rd season.

I look forwarded to an anxious summer of preparing and e-scouting.

If anybody has experience in this area, I would greatly appreciate and advice or input.

I plan on posting a hunt summary with pictures when the hunt is complete.

Stay healthy, and keep posting, as it gives us something to look forward to during these crazy times we live in....

Brookhunter

Brookhunter, how did your hunt go in unit 68 last year?

I'll have 8 points this year and was thinking about unit 68 3rd season, but I don't think I would have any chance of drawing it with the massive point creek expected in 2021.

Now I'm seriously considering going with unit 62 3rd season, which I know you were considering yourself last year. Anyone have any thoughts on that unit this coming year or any other suggestions? FYI a 2nd season hunt isn't an option for me and preseason scouting also won't be possible as I'll be flying in from Florida with limited vacation days available. Thanks!

I bet 8 points won't get you a second season tag in 44 this year, I have 7 and am looking elsewhere for sure

I hunted 44 years ago fourth season, had a good hunt. Went back the next year to hunt elk, the deer was even better with lots of snow. The third year was warm and dry, no deer and few elk in the country. So totally weather dependent in my opinion.

I bet 8 points won't get you a second season tag in 44 this year, I have 7 and am looking elsewhere for sure

I hunted 44 years ago fourth season, had a good hunt. Went back the next year to hunt elk, the deer was even better with lots of snow. The third year was warm and dry, no deer and few elk in the country. So totally weather dependent in my opinion.
The OP ended up doing a 68 3rd.

Interested in how he did. Guess I'll search his posts and see if he posted any pics or reports.

Searched. Last post I found was in June when he posted he drew the tag.

Last edited:

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom