Help with Lodging options

S

scoutdog5

Started calling the leftover tag line when it opened at 8 am our time this morning, when I finally got through the 1st season private land tags for first season Unit 70 elk were gone. Bummer. I checked with the landowner i had paid for access, and got the okay to get a third season private land buck tag, which I did get.

I have access to 6,000 acres of private land on the Utah border, and since it is a private land tag, not looking for any hunting info. Can't hunt anywhere else. I did a search for lodging options, closest town is Dove Creek, but did not find much there, Monticello in Utah is reasonable, but reviews for the motels there weren't good.

Just hoping someone on here can provide some other lodging options in the general area. Going by myself, can't camp on the property, and it is quite a ways to any camping options, not sure I want to camp anyway the first week of November. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The other thing I noticed is the property is on the border with the La Sal Mountains Limited Entry elk unit in Utah. Wasn't really planning on spending the money on the third season over the counter elk tag, but if a couple of those Utah big boys decided to vacation in Utah, might want to have that tag.

Any thoughts about that also appreciated.

Scoutdog

I am not sure about the area as I dont live in utah, but I believe there is a website called vacation rentals by owner( www.vbro.com). I used them when I went to yellowstone and had an awesome cabin with full amenities for less than I would have paid for a hotel. Might be something to look into. Again I have no idea about your area, hope this helps.

How far from Dove Creek is the ranch you are going to hunt on? There are two places in Naturita to the east of there and one real nice Motel in Dolores where we have stayed on three hunts in the 3rd and 4th season before. Lots of Motels in Cortez and great places to eat too.

Brian

Thanks for the ideas guys. I talked to the landowner today, and he actually has some other properties that I can hunt elk on in addition to the one I can hunt deer on, so I am going with the elk tag also. Given where the properties are located, I am going to stay in the general Dolores area. Don't mind driving an hour to get to the hunting area, and if I stay closer to Utah, will be a long way to the other elk property.

I will check out the VRBO option for the Dolores Area. have also used them before.

Scoutdog

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom