Help with Pics of Book Cliffs South Antelope

Maxxy

First time Antelope hunter here. I ran face first into a Tag this year that was unexpected. I have hunted just about everything but Speed Goats. I went out for a day and saw about 50 different bucks but had no idea how to score them. I was just looking for a buck I liked the look of, but they all looked the same!!! I had a LE Bull tag and is the reason I didn't put much time into this hunt. I had a blast but need to go down and fill my tag the last day.

Any advice is welcomed, even just easy hints to understand a decent buck? They say Mass, prongs then length? I am having a tough time on the mass and prong length. Is there an easy way to judge them?

Post up some pics form the area if you don't mind.

Thanks in advance.

Antelope are the toughest to judge. Honestly they are all so different and just depends what you want. If you like length then shoot the longest one you can find, if you like mass then shoot the heaviest one you can find and if you like big prongs shoot the longest prongs you can find. If score is the most important thing then you should look for one with really good mass, but they are all so different. Some curl backwards some inwards, some barley do. Find the one you think looks the best to you and be happy with it. I personally like length and would shoot the longest one I could find even if it doesn't score as high. Good luck, sounds like there are lots to choose from.

A quick guide for me is the ear length 6 inches to help with length but as others say the weight is the critical and the prongs higher up above the ears helps.
Good unit- last year they were spread out due to wet year bet this year find water and find them within a mile. Some good goats on the unit- we have taken four off of the unit through the years with the best being three years ago- 86 6/8 green score and the year before someone took another smoker buck. Last year know of another one that was green B & C. Just enjoy the hunt and get one you like the looks of. Nothing like spot and stalking a good goat on the unit. For pictures do a search on hear for posts.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom