Help with unit 49 please!

pwrlineman

Dad and I applied for unit 49 muzz because we hoped to time the rut in addition to nicer weather. However, I happened to notice that the first rifle hunt has nearly twice the success rate and wonder if we should change our application. I would appreciate some input as we are trying to make the most of our points and are looking for the best opportuntiy to see game and have a reasonable chance at a bull.

Should we book a drop camp to increase our odds of success or is the unit accessible enough not to worry about it. Thanks in advance for the help.

I don't think you are allowed to change your application in Colorado unless they changed something recently. You could pull your application, but it would cost you the license fee to keep your points and then you could apply again next year.

Feel free to PM me for more info.

My dad is 71 and is still healthy, we decided it was time to burn his 12 points and just said 49 muzzy is it. After seeing the statistics you mention I talked to several biologists about muzzy vs 1 rifle. My concern was about hunting pressure, with muzzy and archery mixed, and of course I knew head could make a Sept hunt tough (or any season). Honestly the biologists I talked to?..my gut feeling was they did not have boots on the ground experience to give meaningful insight.

More recently, got a reply from a member here, and got in touch with a law enforcement officer who had knowledge; (thanks) they nudged me towards first rifle. We ended up going for first rifle.

Where am I going with this? Because I changed my mind and had my father go first rifle, rest assured; this is the year the weather will cooperate and the bulls will be making big mistakes during muzzy season. Seriously I bet you guys will have a great hunt. Screw the statistics; I always stack the odds in my favor to avoid having to only be as successful as statistics indicate.

Go deep on foot, elk hunting is supposed to be hard.

Not just in 49, but statewide, the success rates in MZ season, according to the DOW, are very low compared to 1st rifle. However, when I've talked to outfitters, they all say their success rates in MZ are extremely high. Who to believe?

I burned my 4 pp on 49 for an archery hunt. I too am debating dates. I like to go early and not be in with the added pressure of muzzleloader season, but I'd like to be there when the action is hot. So.......?

Lien2

I did the archery hunt two years ago and I never saw another hunter the entire hunt. But I also bivy camped along ways in.

I burned 8 points and changed my app to the first rifle hunt. Sounds like the rut usually heat up at the end of Sept, depending on the weather? The muzz hunt will probably be great now since I applied for the first rifle instead.

I would have done the same thing. Muzzy season is really early this year, so I think you were smart to change it. Good luck!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

My buddy and I were in the same boat that you are and we applied for first rifle as well. He wanted to do ML, but after thinking it over we went with 1st rifle too. Either way, I think it will be a fun hunt. Good luck!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom