HELP!

Sfbrown5150

I have been asked to help an 80 year old man that has gotten his first ever limited entry elk tag for La Salls, La Salls near Moab. I have no idea where to go as I have never been down there. If there is anyone that can point me in the right direction to get a 300 Elk for him that would be awesome.

That's a great responsibility taking a 80 year old out on an elk hunt. Hate to sound so negative but elk hunts are brutal in itself can't even image taking someone that old chasing elk. Even if he can shoot from the truck it's still a lot of being bounced around riding in the truck for hours. Good luck and hope you all can pull this off without any issues.

SFBrown!

Welcome to the forums!

There’s a lot of good guys on this site that can help out!

Ya just gotta get past their thick skin!

Unfortunately, that takes years to do and you don’t have years!

I’m in the same boat as you! Except my dad is 74!

He drew a late season elk permit (see the other thread for details!!!)

I’ve been asking for free handouts but they ain’t giving in very easily!

I’ve been a member for 15 or so years!

Not sure when they start treating you like one of the guys?!

Good luck!

Never set foot on the area you’re talking about!

Just enjoy the time in the hills!

I'd be glad to help, but no experience in the area you're hunting. Stay patient, don't get too worked up if he can't move fast enough or make a climb necessary to get in position. I already feel this way today, but I have to imagine if I'm lucky enough to see 80 the success of the hunt will be even less about pulling the trigger. Like BloodTracker says, enjoy the time in the hills...and maybe keep a flask on you...

Some 80 year olds will surprise you. My father turned 80 this year and hunted just about every day on the muzzy and both rifle hunts. Probably averaged 1.5 to 2 miles a day. He just paces himself and stays in good health. He even helped pack out a cow I shot against my repeated plea not to. When I asked him how he felt the next day he said "fine, how about you? " I remember hunting with his father ( My grandpa) when he was in his mid eighties, so I guess they have it in their genes.

Last edited:
Seems to be a lot of 80 yr old dudes wandering around with LE tags waiting until the last minute this year.

Glad there are all these good hearted young dudes willing to cruise the internet for them?

I do promise. When Bess is 80 and finally draws that San Juan tag, ill find him some random young dude to troll for info for him?

Seems to be a lot of 80 yr old dudes wandering around with LE tags waiting until the last minute this year.

Glad there are all these good hearted young dudes willing to cruise the internet for them?

I do promise. When Bess is 80 and finally draws that San Juan tag, ill find him some random young dude to troll for info for him?
Hoss, maybe you find someone to cart the Cat up and down the ridges on a side by side too but be sure to get a young punk who wears a flatty?

I love to help folks! Someone comes to me in person and I am excited to help them as much as I can. This site is a great resource even though it's not face-to-face, I have helped several folks and have been helped several times.

The problem is that when it comes to helping new guys on this site, I have no idea who's feeding me a line and who is a good guy in need of genuine help. How can I know if someone is really helping a blind girl, a disabled Vietnam vet, an 80 year old, a soldier just back from deployment, a cop who had to retire because he was shot on duty, a young kid who lost his dad last year, etc?

I've joked about it before but in all seriousness, how can we really know?

I think the answer for me has to be 1) preparation and 2) posts/messages. We all know whether we drew a tag months ago, so if someone (even a newbie) starts asking for help in June, I'm all about it! There have been several like this and people are great about helping those guys. As far as help requests at the last minute, someone with 3 messages has earned about 3 words of advice (the website offered earlier in the thread is a perfect example of the help that I would offer). Someone with 1300 messages will get a lot more specific advice from me, even if they are coming in with 5 days to go before their hunt. (of course I am from Oregon so no one really wants my advice anyway, haha!)

Just been thinking about this the last few days and those are my musings, for what they are worth.

Bonepicker, you hit the nail on the head. That’s why I’m always full of sarcasm LOL!

But I like help just as much as the next guy. It is tough to ask for help when I can still physically get out and do the legwork myself. Therefore, I choose to entertain myself and others on this site haha! But if someone had the time to come down and help out on my dad’s Late hunt, I wouldn’t turn them down! If I had the time, I’d do the same thing because I enjoy helping others.....especially when it comes to elk or deer hunting. I’m probably a bit selfish because #1 goal of helping out on a hunt is to witness and be a part of the hunt. And #2, help the hunter(s) to be successful. I’ve helped numerous folks with deer and elk hunting and even helped a handful of them harvest their first elk or deer! Those experiences are burned in my mind forever and that’s one of the reasons that I do it!

You could just drive around like the locals do. Seriously.

I have noticed the guys with tough draw tags are all getting a little long in the tooth. Get used to it because it will be worse when we actually start managing things better.

SFBrown!

Welcome to the forums!

There’s a lot of good guys on this site that can help out!

Ya just gotta get past their thick skin!

Unfortunately, that takes years to do and you don’t have years!

I’m in the same boat as you! Except my dad is 74!

He drew a late season elk permit (see the other thread for details!!!)

I’ve been asking for free handouts but they ain’t giving in very easily!

I’ve been a member for 15 or so years!

Not sure when they start treating you like one of the guys?!

Good luck!

Never set foot on the area you’re talking about!

Just enjoy the time in the hills!
Oh I'm used to the jabs, but a few guys have been very helpful. I just want this guy to get this Elk. My brother and I are going down together to help out. Hopefully we can pull this off.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom