HELP!

mossback50cal

Very Active Member
Hello, I am having a problem with my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is the only car between my fiancee and myself. We use it to get our three kids around, and it is having a major problem. When we were leaving Wal Mart yesterday, it would not shift. I t is stuck in either 1st or 2nd. It gets to 30 MPH at 3000 RPM, but will not shift either way, up or down. The fluids are full, and it is not showing any codes for the transmission. Does anyone have any clue whats going on? I figure I am looking for a new transmission, but I dont have the money for that right now. Anyone have any info on what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Mossback, Your problem would have to throw a code. Could be many things from a Governor Pressure sensor, Shift Sloenoids, Output shaft sensor etc. Used to be Autozone would read codes for you free of charge. Call around to see if any parts stores will pull your codes. Cheapest place to start. Good luck.

It is not in 4 low, ha ha ha. The engine light is not on, there are no codes. It was on before the issue, but I checked them with my reader, it gave exhaust errors. Isolated that, and found a hole in the catelytic converter. It did not give any other errors, and the check engine light is not on anymore.

Thanks.

I'd talk to AyA here on MM!! He's kind of our online fix-it-all handiman when anyone is in a vehicle bind...letting him work on your truck will give your wife the biggest smile when she sees the final bill :) I think his rates are very resonable also...

~Z~

Your Trans is hydraulicaly controlled for the first 3 gears. Really the most common cause of your complaint will be the Governor pressure sensor. It is rare to not throw a code but it does happen. Since you are getting 30 mph at 3000 rpm, over the computer I must assume that is 1st gear. If you are getting second gear only check your fuses. Hard to diagnose without the vehicle but I hope this helps.

never_catch, I will have to pass on that one. Thank you though, don't want to have to replace the whole vehicle. As well as the house and everything else when he gets done. I've read his stories on mechanic work! We are going to have it looked at by a transmission shop, he is also a family friend, so I know the diagnosis will be correct.

Thanks tagattracter, those are the ones I am hearing the most. I would look at it if I had the time, but between work and our kids, I do not have nearly enough time.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-10 AT 01:28PM (MST)[p]ya, that is going to be the first thing I try. The speed sensor and a flush. I do not have the money to take it to a shop. I hope that is it. We ran the diagnostic by turning the key on-off-on-off. It gave the error that trans over temp, check gauges, I have no idea what that means.. Any info?

my Allison has acted up several times like that
when it acts like yours heres what I do
I pulls her manually all the way in to 1st
rap it till she hits the governor
then pop it up in to 2nd
sometimes it works & sometimes it dont
but when it does it makes one hell of a popping noise
I guess nobody wants a good used truck so i'm going to drive her till she blows again

nice post/thanks for sharring

I would go and join a jeep forum, i belonged to one i had a 96 jeep grand went with the wife. They can help you out better and tell you more then likely whats wrong. Just go search one

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-10 AT 08:55AM (MST)[p]Hunt,

I did that, and they pointed me toward the Speed Sensor, I checked for the symptoms they said would be present. Overdrive had been kicking off, it will shift out of first, but only when you get close to 5000 RPMs. Then it shifts the other gears fine, so I am going to replace it today after work. 20 bucks and an easy install. Hope it works!

Oh,
I am also going to replace the filter and do a flush on it as well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom