Helping out?

DBG3285

I am not sure about the rest of the people here, and I don't want to rant nor discourage people from helping, nor asking for help. With that being said....

It seems more and more, that people come to forums such as this. They ask for help, then they either decline the help, or they take the help. Either way, it seems as though the fools through/updates never make it back to here.

It can be semi frustrating, I am always willing to help a fellow hunter out, but I would also like to see/hear the end results.

This year alone, I have given many pointers to people hunting the Wasatch elk hunt. I still see all those bulls walking around (including one that is 365-370), unscathed. But the thing that frustrates me is that most of these hunts we never have "closure" on.

Sorry for the rant/complaint. Just had to vent real quick!

Thanks.

The same thing happens every year.
I had gotten tired of never hearing back so I stopped offering.

Then, I got in a bind one year. I asked for help and a kind gentleman from Idaho helped me out in a big, big way. That brought me back to offering help/knowledge.
I've offered advice on multiple hunts this year that have ended and have not heard from anyone.
Oh well. I hope their hunts were great.

Hey D!

I Know first Hand You've Helped Many Hunters out!

Not Sure on the not hearing back part?

Even if I Got My Ass Handed to me I'd at least let the person that Helped me know that I Had a Great Time but I Didn't Harvest Mr Big!

If DBG offers You Help You might wanna Listen to Him!

Back Me Off to 1,700 Yards,650 is a Little Close & I'm Not Comfortable with it!

A GUT SHOT at 1,700 Yards will Still Make Some Good BRAGGIN Rights so I Can Say I At Least Hit Him!

90087hankjr.jpg

Most people in this world are takers.

Tell you what. If I get a wasatch muzzy or Late tag next fall I'll take all the advice you can dish out. ESP if there's 345+ bulls involved.

I'm all about reciprocation. What that means is that I'll be thankful and you will be more than happy to have helped.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-17 AT 01:03PM (MST)[p]Yep, every year Post #1, "Got a tag for #$@ unit and need help"

Problem is they post on every website out there. Throw enough stones in the water........ Not likely that they will post results on the 30 websites they ask for info on.

I am not the crowd of "We are all hunters out here to help each other". Hunting info is hard work to come by and I generally only share with friends or guys who have been around and I have developed a relationship with. Sorry but I don't feel like I owe a first timer anything more than general info. That I am happy to share. If you feel differently, be my guest to help them by telling them which drainage to go up to get a big bull.

Another reason I don't share much is that most likely a post #1 doesn't share the passion for hunting that I do. If he did, he would be on here posting regularly. So as stated, I feel like those guys are users, not contributors. Probably wrong about some of them, but not the majority.

I will give a specific example. A "member" of MM by the handle aij PMed me on September 6 asking for last minute info on a early rifle buck tag for the Holy Cross wilderness. Well I had a muzzy elk tag in my pocket and was already on my way to Colorado and I don't get on MM when I am hunting. So didn't even see the post until I got back. I wrote him back apologizing for not getting back to him sooner and asked how his hunt with. Nutin. Did a search under his handle and he has not made any posts here. Just did a search and then asked some private questions. That has happened many times and you just get tired of it.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have more than 1 post, I help other guys out, and I have a Wasatch late bull tag ;-)

I know how you feel, I've given much advice on many different units and cwmus over the years through pm's, generally never hear back tho. And when I reach out to someone who I know has info that could help me, all I get is crickets......

2a0fcsk.gif

Hey bessy!!

Like I said, more of a rant/vent. In years past it is usually one or two sometimes three people that I don't hear back from. But this year it has been the exact opposite, I have only heard back from two.

It just got me to thinking, I see people, some have posts some have almost none, and every year there is an influx of "HELP ME!!!!" posts. If there is any criticism or tough love as to say, they get holier than thou. Then people oblige with help and there is never a follow up or any sort of contribution.

I have not paid much attention to the dates, when is your hunt?

If I am not out of the country I would be happy to give you a hand, if I am out of the country I will give you some "starting points" if you need them.

I have tried to assist multiple hunts (especially sheep) via this forum, resulting in some great new hunting associations.
I haven't kept track of how many I've reached out to, but it seems like most have responded back in very positive ways and met many face to face.

No doubt some are just looking for a handout, but for me the resulting legit new friends are worth the effort.

>I have tried to assist multiple
>hunts (especially sheep) via this
>forum, resulting in some great
>new hunting associations.
>I haven't kept track of how
>many I've reached out to,
>but it seems like most
>have responded back in very
>positive ways and met many
>face to face.
>
>No doubt some are just looking
>for a handout, but for
>me the resulting legit new
>friends are worth the effort.
>

I have made some great friends off of help. And I don't expect to become friends with everyone I help. Just would like some curtesy and have some follow up.

>257,
>
>I have not paid much attention
>to the dates, when is
>your hunt?
>
>If I am not out of
>the country I would be
>happy to give you a
>hand, if I am out
>of the country I will
>give you some "starting points"
>if you need them.

November 11-19. Ive never hunted the Wasatch at all, I have a few buddies that have hunted it, but only archery and muzzleloader, never on the late hunt. I won the tag at the expo, playing with house money on this one so trying to go big :)
2a0fcsk.gif

Here's a bit of a positive experience.

A few months ago a MM member asked about info on an ID sheep hunt. I sent a PM and gave him some info since I'd hunted the unit and spend lots of time there. We communicated back and forth about scouting, the hunt etc. I told him I had a moose tag and asked if he'd drawn any tags. He said only an Auodad in NM in February. I said how about that I did as well. I told him I put in with a group of 8 guys (2 groups of 4) and we all drew!! And he was like this sounds way to familiar who organized this for you? I told him our group leader and he responded laughing apparently we are hunting Auodad together he happens to be the 1 and only guy I did not know in the group. What a small world ?. We had been communicating via this site for a couple of months before we put 2 and 2 together. Looking forward to getting the opportunity to know him better.

Tony,

I will send you a PM. As it stands now I am still in town that whole hunt. That can be the easiest hunt on the Wasatch, it can also be the hardest. None the less I think it is probably the best hunt for trophy quality now!

Neither of you know me but I'd love to tag along a morning or two and bring my swaros with me.

I don't know the wasatch but I've been known to hold my own behind glass. I even have pack frames and legs that might come in handy too!!!

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

>Neither of you know me but
>I'd love to tag along
>a morning or two and
>bring my swaros with me.
>
>
>I don't know the wasatch but
>I've been known to hold
>my own behind glass.
> I even have
>pack frames and legs that
>might come in handy too!!!
>
>
>"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

Stu,
Not sure what Tony's plans are. I have been fortune enough to have two Wasatch elk tags, one in a good year one in the decline. I was able to take two great bulls (383 and 354) with both tags and spent less than two hours combined on my hunts. I hunt the Wasatch multiple times per year and we have a stellar success rate.

I enjoy helping people such as Tony and others because it's the right thing to do, most of the people will hold 1 limited entry tag in their life for any species.

I fully believe wether Tony uses my help or information, that he will follow up with a story and results.

I met a guy about a month ago when I got back to my truck from elk hunting. His boy had a youth elk tag, he was a super nice guy. I don't think he posts much on here. I know he had talked with some other guys on here. I sat down went through maps with him and guys on here had alot of the same spots I talked with him about. I PM'd him to see how the hunt went haven't heard back. I hope his boy got an elk. Regardless I just want to hear how they did even if they didn't punch a tag. Hope they had fun and would love to see pics from their hunt.

I'm relatively new to the forum and have noticed that. I myself got on this forum to start asking questions as well. I have gotten some great ideas from other people about my upcoming hunt. I'm very appreciative to those that have been kind enough to give me their phone number for a quick call. I tried to pay it back to someone that didn't ask for help, but was offering help. By offering I thought I would help them.
I had been scouting for my late season rifle bull tag and saw a lot of bucks on the unit. I saw a few people offering to help someone that had a muzzy elk tag in the same unit while they had muzzy deer. He offered to help the guy with the muzzy elk tag. So I pm'd him and told him where we saw 15 or so mature bucks. He started hunting a ways away from where I told him, while he was there he saw my post and went to that spot. He sent me messages daily on what he was seeing and hearing. It was cool. He didn't end up getting one, he missed, but saw quite a few and had a good time. I enjoyed the daily updates and am glad he let me know how he did.

I think some people draw a great tag, get good advice yet don't fill the tag, or shoot a smaller type animal and are embarrassed to get back with the people that helped them.

But others are just takers like was said before.

DBG,

Thanks for posting this. I've lurked around MM for years but didn't actually seek help until I got a fairly good tag this fall.

Guys on here were incredibly helpful, I was amazed at how willing people were to give advice and insight.

I shot a bull, not a monster, but one I was stoked to harvest. I posted about my success with pictures but probably should personally thank those that helped me via PM.

I promise I'll stick around and help others with any knowledge I have - especially if it's a hard to get LE tag.

Max.

p.s. I'll probably be bugging you for advice on the Wasatch (when i draw in 8+ years....). I grew up in the unit but have since moved away. I'd love to smoke a good bull in my old stomping grounds.

I think it is easier to get advice on tags that are hard to draw/take lots of years to draw. Then you are not giving out info that could hurt your own hunting or hunting for the general hunting population. Info on good hunting spots for an OTC unit are harder to come by

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>DBG,
>
>Thanks for posting this. I've
>lurked around MM for years
>but didn't actually seek help
>until I got a fairly
>good tag this fall.
>
>Guys on here were incredibly helpful,
>I was amazed at how
>willing people were to give
>advice and insight.
>
>I shot a bull, not a
>monster, but one I was
>stoked to harvest. I
>posted about my success with
>pictures but probably should personally
>thank those that helped me
>via PM.
>
>I promise I'll stick around and
>help others with any knowledge
>I have - especially if
>it's a hard to get
>LE tag.
>
>Max.
>
>p.s. I'll probably be bugging
>you for advice on the
>Wasatch (when i draw in
>8+ years....). I grew
>up in the unit but
>have since moved away.
>I'd love to smoke a
>good bull in my old
>stomping grounds.

Max,

If I were you, I would be putting in for higher quality lower draw areas for the next years. Just while they figure the Wasatch out and decide what their plan is.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom