Henry Mountain Mule deer rifle tag

jacill

Hey guys, I know I don’t post much...mainly just read and search.

Anyhow, I am one of the lucky ones to draw the tag this year. I’m interested to see who would be recommended for guiding down there?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Congrats on the great tag. Good luck on the hunt.

Have high expectations but don’t let it ruin your enjoyment of the hunt. My Dad has had a couple of great tags and I know from helping him it is easy to lose sight of that.

Bill

Congrats. Great tag. Post up photos after the hunt. Most all the guides will be on the unit with multiple scouts. Call several and see who you like.

There are many good guides available with various prices. Not always, but it usually amounts to he who spends the most money gets a chance at the best deer. The Henry's is a very popular place. By the time the season is here the best guides will know where most of the big deer eat,sleep and drink. Don't know what your expectations are but you are in the game. A reasonable amount of scouting should turn up a respectful deer. If I was to hire an outfitter for the Henrys it would be Mossback. Doyle and his boys know that mountain.

Congrats on drawing that tag. Can’t help on which guide to choose, but come back and share the results of the hunt. Most of us will never get to hunt it.

Congrats on the Henrey- All the big players will be there, I would be calling and talking to them all. Good luck, post pictures and have a great hunt

Thanks for all the replies guys....

Bronson was great to talk to but pretty booked up already.

I’m talking with a few others now, we’ll see how things shake out.

I’ll update the post throughout the year for sure.....pretty crazy to have the tag.

You put in for one of the most coveted tags ever, and you want to hire someone else to find your buck, walk you to it, and say, "there he is, that's *insert stupid buck name here*, shoot him." High fives, watermarked photos, and a mount at the Expo next year.

That is some "hunt". (n)(n)(n)

The only places I've seen a 200"+ deer is on Antelope Island, and the Henry Mountains. All from the road. Don't worry about having a buck in your pocket. Just go look over a gazillion bucks, and shoot the first one that tickles your buck fever. Laugh at all the idiots who hire guides so they can be walked to "their buck".

Hunting the Henry's is like playing basketball on a 6 foot hoop. Then you hire Lebron to be on your team.? Unnecessary overkill. Do it yourself.

Last edited:
You put in for one of the most coveted tags ever, and you want to hire someone else to find your buck, walk you to it, and say, "there he is, that's *insert stupid buck name here*, shoot him." High fives, watermarked photos, and a mount at the Expo next year.

The only places I've seen a 200"+ deer is on Antelope Island, and the Henry Mountains. All from the road. Don't worry about having a buck in your pocket. Just go look over a gazillion bucks, and shoot the first one that tickles your buck fever. Laugh at all the idiots who hire guides so they can be walked to "their buck".

Hunting the Henry's is like playing basketball on a 6 foot hoop. Then you hire Lebron to be on your team.? Unnecessary overkill. Do it yourself.
Well said.

Congrats on an awesome unit to hunt this late summer and fall. Which season did you draw? What are your expectations? What is your experience hunting Mule Deer? Are you a resident? Do you have time to scout? Do you have plenty of friends to help you with the hunt and/or scouting? Is this your only realistic chance at a 200+ buck?

I think you get the point- only you can answer these questions and know your situation $. No matter what enjoy the whole experience and don't put to much stress on yourself and this once in a lifetime hunt. Many folks on here can be of great help as I have experienced with several of my hunts. Last thing, if guided or a posse of friends helping make sure your hunting morals match up to get the most out of this awesome experience. Yes, 99.9% of us on here are jealous of your great fortune!

You get to decide if you go guided or not. You also get to decide if you choose a guide that will have you be as involved as you'd like. The right outfitter will take you scouting before the season, have you show up a few days early to look over animals and learn the area, and participate in any other parts of the hunt that are important to you. Congrats on the tag and kill a big one.

Really? I thought it was one of the dumbest things I've ever read!
Yeah, I thought the same thing. The OP Simply asked for suggestions on guides for the Henry’s. The last couple of years, giant deer on the unit have been a little harder to come by. It would be naive to assume you will see multiple 200” deer road hunting. I have never hired a guide but almost did once. I drew a really good elk tag several years ago and after talking with a couple of guides, decided to do it myself. I hunted extremely hard and ended up killing a good bull, but have often wondered if I made the right decision. The Henry mountains is an extremely special place and certainly lends itself to a DIY hunt, but if someone wants suggestions on good guides, I don’t think they deserve a lecture on how stupid of an idea it is. It’s unfortunate that Bronson is already full, but that doesn’t surprise me. They have helped me several times over the years, not for money, but because they are good dudes. To the OP, feel free to send me a PM and I will help in any way I can. It’s one of the best places on earth to chase giant bucks.

I haven't ever drawn a Henry tag. I did hire a guide the one time I had an LE deer tag.

My guides were aware of a big deer in an area. While hunting for him we ran in to another really good deer. They were plenty happy if I had killed that one. We hunted three days before I shot a deer. I got to glass right along with them. I got to learn some cool things about hunting deer, elk, and the unit. It wasn't the hardest mule deer hunt I have ever had but it wasn't the easiest either. I would hire a guide again for a mule deer hunt. I don't care about the internet guys who talk trash about guides. They hunt for different reasons than I do and I don't hunt for their approval. It is highly likely that if you plan your hunt around making people on the internet happy then you won't be as happy as you could have been. Be honest with yourself about your goals on this hunt and the sacrifices you are willing to make to get there and then all it will take is a little more luck.

I hope you connect on a great buck and congratulations on the good luck.

Where are the unit boundaries, where are water sources, where are best roads (Jeep vs ATV), where are some close hotels or good places to camp, where is there likely to be lots of people/ few people, where are some good places to hike to get away from roads.....

Just a few important things that NRs wouldn’t know coming in. And we don’t always have the luxury of getting there days ahead to scout on our own. And many nonresidents may have to fly due to distance, so can’t bring a lot of stuff.

This is a once in a lifetime tag. Not one iota of shame to hire some help. Just because he hires an outfitter, doesn’t mean there is no hunting involved.

For me, the satifaction of DIY outweighs any extra trophy score that a guides services my can provide. That said, I have hired a guide a couple times, and I was happy with the result and the experience.

Coming in from out of state, with a full time job and limited vacation days and lots of family commitments, hiring an outfitter made sense for those hunts.

That said, when I look up at mounts, the ones that I always end up staring at are the ones from DIY hunts, which bring back amazing memories of the hunt.

Weigh it all against each other, but the decision is yours and won't be wrong as a result.

I agree with you, I for the most part am a DIY hunter. There will be a lot of competition on the Henerys, with a lot of hardcore young guys out scouting for the top end bucks. One of these guys could be great help or a team of them could produce a monster. Or you a couple of buddies or family could have just as much fun on your own adventures.

To each their own. I suspect you want to make the best of this amazing tag and I get that. Some would rather do it on their own and live with the results. I’m in the second category. No judgement here...hope you realize your dreams no matter which way you choose. I just hope you share a few pics!

North Rim Outfitters.
David Virostko hell you just might find his good friends tag along and help just so it will make a good story for the Magazine.
David does a good job.

Hey guys, I know I don’t post much...mainly just read and search.

Anyhow, I am one of the lucky ones to draw the tag this year. I’m interested to see who would be recommended for guiding down there?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hey Jacill, you are getting a lot of good advice. Sort out what fits your situation and go for it. I have only hunted there twice with family and had a great experience both times. If you decide to go without a guide your chance of a 200 plus deer are somewhat reduced but like I said before, your in the game. I would think you could turn up a 190 plus deer if you decide to go it alone.

Haha.....some of you guys have some pretty cute comments.

Thanks very much to all the legit comments.

As for myself....I hunt quite a bit. Hunted a few states DYI and even Alaska moose DYI. So I’m not a point and shoot kind of guy. My take on having this tag is gaining as much knowledge of an area as possible in what...5 months now?? A guide that has hunted it for years certainly knows more than I can learn in those 5 short months. The tag is a once in a lifetime deal....

I’m not all about feeding them cookies n coconuts!! Or blowin another guys chance.

Knowledge and relationships is what I’m about. I’m not even certain I’ll hire anyone....but it is certainly a process of elimination I’ll go through.

Keep the great comments comin gents, appreciated....hell even the cute ones too!! Keeps it entertaining.

If I draw the Henry's, I'm looking into an outfitter and talking to as many as possible. It's not about "walking me to a buck". Its about maximizing a very very rare opportunity. And unless you're a mindless fool, the predetermined buck choice comments are just asinine. Who would let someone else pick out their buck?

@BrowningRage post up your Henry’s buck

That stinks Bronson is booked. Those epic boys know their stuff and Bronson is a great guy to chat with. good luck!

Really? I thought it was one of the dumbest things I've ever read!

The statement was correct. You don’t need a guide on this hunt. So I’m not sure why it’s the dumbest thing you’ve “ever read”. Oh because you are an outfitter? ?

The statement was correct. You don’t need a guide on this hunt. So I’m not sure why it’s the dumbest thing you’ve “ever read”. Oh because you are an outfitter? ?

Dang we may have to take a poll and see whether this new post :LOL: is dumber than the dumbest thing he ever read.

Read the first paragraph and second with the thumbs down to find out why.

Everyone has an opinion but you can express yours without basically calling the person with the tag dumb. And no, I have never have been or ever will be an outfitter.

My 2 cents......this is a once in a lifetime tag. put yourself in the best possible position you can to take the best trophy possible. Hiring the right local professional guide does just that. Mark my words, the DIY-ers can say what they want about hiring a guide, but Bronson and some of the other guides listed will harvest the best bucks year in and year out; That's a fact. The BS is just noise once you're holding a 200+ deer. good luck.

No, I'm not an outfitter or have never used one but calling someone who uses one "an idiot" is a dumb thing to say.

Answer this, were you your own contractor when you built your house or did someone else build it for you?
I wonder how many people drive down the street and when they see a really nice well built house, wonder to themselves.... " boy I bet the idiots didn't DIY, they probably used a contractor".

Oh i
No, I'm not an outfitter or have never used one but calling someone who uses one "an idiot" is a dumb thing to say.

Answer this, were you your own contractor when you built your house or did someone else build it for you?
I wonder how many people drive down the street and when they see a really nice well built house, wonder to themselves.... " boy I bet the idiots didn't DIY, they probably used a contractor".
Didnt see him call anyone an “idiot” must have missed that.

I'm an outfitter and I have built my own house - twice. Not sure what that means, but thought I"d toss it out there. The houses are square and vertical and the bucks are good.

Live your life the way you want have fun along the way.

Get a guide, don't get a guide...whatever.
It is a blast going with a guide on a hunt like this. It is a great move to consider it and do it.
The guides have been listed above and will all do you a solid job. I would also consider Shane Scott Outfitters. He is great to hang out with, and has good guys working for him.
I am excited for you! Go get a guide and have fun.

Whatever you decide to do, have the time of your life. That place is the most fun I've ever had looking at deer with a bonus of seeing buffalo every day. Do take extra spares and maybe a patch kit or two.

Never even came close to calling him dumb. It's just total overkill. Best unit, easiest weapon...

I just wanted to suggest that just because you draw that tag, it doesn't mean you have to get an Outfitter.

Never even came close to calling him dumb. It's just total overkill. Best unit, easiest weapon...

I just wanted to suggest that just because you draw that tag, it doesn't mean you have to get an Outfitter.
That's cool but go read your post again. I think most guys are going to take what you said as looking down on anyone using an outfitter on the heneries. At least that the way I took it. You did say those type of hunters are idiots. Which I thought was a dumb thing to say. I sure hope he has a great time no matter how he hunts and shares with all of us. I know I'll probably never hunt there.

do it yourself!! one of the funnest places to hunt! get out and enjoy the mountains, look over a ton of deer, decide which one get your heart pumping and enjoy the experience. no need to hire a guide your going to be last in line with them anyway unless your willing to pay an extra arm n leg for one of them.

Yeah just like I thought. No experience. Do you make it a habit of giving advice where you have no experience? What’s your top 5 stock picks for 2020?

I’ve been there on the archery hunt it was a riot found multiple slammer deer. You could drive and see bucks all over. It got to the point 170-180 bucks were not even worth stopping to look at. I’m sure you could do it on your own. However you would not be a fool to go guided. They are going to be really good at judging a deer and insuring you walk away with a great deer.You would probably learn a ton about glassing, mule deer behavior, and strategies to be more successful on future hunts. Albretch, viristko , mossback, Bronson would be phenomenal guides they all have a ton of experience down there and their resumes have shown that. Did you see if Jason Carter at epic was available to guide your hunt? Might be worth a shot. Congrats on drawing a great tag. Enjoy the heck out of it, you’ll love the beautiful views that mtn range offers. And try to stay in good shape because it is steep and high in elevation.

There are also plenty of people (professionals), some of which have worked for the Outfitters mentioned that are always looking for excuses to "help" out those who draw and may be on a budget or don't care for watermarks on their kill photo's ?

Get an outfitter if you want to hunt a named deer that is approaching the status of a pet in a huge backyard. Utah takes things way over the top compared to other states with game cameras, spotters upon spotters, baiting, etc.

Get an outfitter if you want to hunt a named deer that is approaching the status of a pet in a huge backyard. Utah takes things way over the top compared to other states with game cameras, spotters upon spotters, baiting, etc.

Sounds like basically all the deer are tame there. So outfitter or.not, sounds like he might as well turn the tag back in. ?

Sounds like basically all the deer are tame there. So outfitter or.not, sounds like he might as well turn the tag back in. ?
No kidding.
I'm willing to bet that most DIY hunters have a few of their top end target bucks named by the end of the summer too..

Hunting on the Henry's can be really hard, not just a cake walk as it appears to some. The rifle can be a joke with outfitters camping on the biggest bucks. If you scout hard and do your homework, you'll be fine. Just don't let anyone intimidate or talk you out of going after what you want. Good luck!

What a Debbie downer. No need to post suck a negative post?

Friend of mine went there last year to help a buddy. They killed an amazing deer that several outfitters were after. They hunted hard DIY and got it done. Think the story was just published a month or so ago. If I waited as long as he did for a tag I would hands down hire a guide for their knowledge. They got pretty lucky but worked hard and earned it. Hope you tag a henries giant.

Friend of mine went there last year to help a buddy. They killed an amazing deer that several outfitters were after. They hunted hard DIY and got it done. Think the story was just published a month or so ago. If I waited as long as he did for a tag I would hands down hire a guide for their knowledge. They got pretty lucky but worked hard and earned it. Hope you tag a henries giant.
Pics??

Last edited:
Congrats on a great tag. I was able to draw a Henry's muzzle tag and hunted with one of the outfitters mentioned above. I've also hunted with an another outfit mentioned above. I feel like I could share some good info on the unit and outfitters I have experience hunting with. PM me your name and number and I'll call you or share with me how I can PM you my name and number. Haven't be able to figure the PM out. I'm out of pocket quite a bit but will check back this evening or sometime during the week. Thought Grizzly had some spot on info about guides. At least that's what I've experienced with the few guided hunts I've done.

Congrats on a great tag. I was able to draw a Henry's muzzle tag and hunted with one of the outfitters mentioned above. I've also hunted with an another outfit mentioned above. I feel like I could share some good info on the unit and outfitters I have experience hunting with. PM me your name and number and I'll call you or share with me how I can PM you my name and number. Haven't be able to figure the PM out. I'm out of pocket quite a bit but will check back this evening or sometime during the week. Thought Grizzly had some spot on info about guides. At least that's what I've experienced with the few guided hunts I've done.

Osprey....I sent you a message.

uh....put your little arrow on the big circle above the members name that you want to PM....then move your little arrow to the box that popped up that says "start conversation"......

I'd say we are different kind of guys then... I 100% renovated my basement on my own when I purchased my home. And yes, if someone has shown me their renovation, I ask who did it. :)

And being skilled in many trades with hundreds of tools and materials in order to build a house is far more complex than owning a pair of boots and a spotter. That's comparing apples and oranges.

I've heard deer prefer apples... :cool:

I'd say we are different kind of guys then... I 100% renovated my basement on my own when I purchased my home. And yes, if someone has shown me their renovation, I ask who did it. :)

And being skilled in many trades with hundreds of tools and materials in order to build a house is far more complex than owning a pair of boots and a spotter. That's comparing apples and oranges.

Most guys can youtube there way through a home project, Most guys can not go to a new unit and kill a 200" mature deer DIY. More so when they don't have all summer to scout and learn the unit.

Good for you! Has nothing to do with this conversation, but you should be proud.

I use to change my own oil ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom