Henry Mountains Muzzy Hunt

OpeningDay

Hello all. Its time to start preparing. Odds say we will have a Henry's Muzzy tag for this fall. I have spent a lot of time down there over the last decade. I feel I am all but ready to get the ball rolling on this. I would love to talk to anyone that has hunted it in the last few years. Please PM me if you are willing to chat. I am itching to get down there for sure.. I was hoping to open a chat on experiences, thoughts, opinions and such. The Henry's has been pretty quiet the last couple years. I know there are still some stud deer down there. I have seen them. I am curious when these deer might start moving back up the mountain from their winter range. I would like to make a trip in Early June. Is that too early ? Fingers crossed we get some moisture down south this spring and summer. Id love to see some Henry's bucks if anyone has any to share. Thanks in advance.

I did not make it down there this past year but from other postings from last year seems that it was rough last year with a couple really good bucks killed and a bunch average deer.

I don't know if the down year was because of environmental factors or if its just going down hill.

This link is on one of the other posts from last year.

Thank you for the response. I have seen this data. It doesnt look all that great. I was down there for a few days during the Muzzy hunt last fall. We seen some nice bucks and a couple of really nice bucks. We didn't see that gagger buck. There was one that had everyone's attention though. We only seen him in pictures. I still haven't seen him and I actually think he may have survived the hunts. What I did see is that most people had tagged out within the first 3 or 4 days. Patience is going to be a huge factor IMO.

I'd say if you have the time and the resources, June isn't too early to get out into the mountains, even if its just for the fun of it. If you have slightly limited time, I think your time is better used in July where you can get a better sense of the quality of deer. If you know the unit, you are at an advantage as you don't need to familiarize yourself with roads or access points.

Good luck in the draw! And keep us posted.

Thank you for the response. I have seen this data. It doesnt look all that great. I was down there for a few days during the Muzzy hunt last fall. We seen some nice bucks and a couple of really nice bucks. We didn't see that gagger buck. There was one that had everyone's attention though. We only seen him in pictures. I still haven't seen him and I actually think he may have survived the hunts. What I did see is that most people had tagged out within the first 3 or 4 days. Patience is going to be a huge factor IMO.
He Survived.

I was stalking a ram on Oak Creek last fall, sneaking through a saddle I glanced down and there was a nice, heavy, hard white 4pt. shed. I packed it for a minute and ended up leaving it on a rock at the top of the peak if anybody wants it I'd bet it's still there.

IMG_2360.jpeg

This is a pic I took of my cousin's ML Henries deer from 2019. He drew with max points. Not sure of the official score, but it measured at ~227" gross. It was running with 2 other nice bucks, 180 - 190ish, certainly ML-worthy on the Henries. My uncle (right) took a nice velvet buck in 2003 (using my bow) to the north of the mountain in the background. His was a 30" wide typical and just under 200" As I recall, that was the last year a dedicated hunter could draw a Premium LE tag and get all 3 seasons.

This pic here actually gives our location away, north end of Pennell. My other cousin (back) scouted quite a bit before the hunt but never saw this buck until the morning his brother shot it. Things were pretty crowded where the more well-known bucks and the wealthy hunters (can you say Governor's tag?) were with their guides. We did not decide on hunt location until the night before the opener. We have always tried to avoid the clamor and competition of the crowds.

On our way out, we stopped in a camp where a hunter showed us pics of this same buck that he had taken while pursuing it during the archery season...5 or 6 miles away from where my cousin took it.

I can't speak for my cousin but since the Henries is essentially a once-in-a-lifetime experience, he may be open to share exact location and tips. I will ask him. I'll just say this - when my 2 much younger cousins talk about how difficult it (the terrain) was to get to where this buck was, then you know it was a hard hunt.

Good luck on your hunt.

p.s. when my uncle and I were scouting Bull Pass and northward back in 2003, there was a guy hauling off a TON of antlers. I'm sure it gets hit even harder now, 19 years later.

View attachment 74643

This is a pic I took of my cousin's ML Henries deer from 2019. He drew with max points. Not sure of the official score, but it measured at ~227" gross. It was running with 2 other nice bucks, 180 - 190ish, certainly ML-worthy on the Henries. My uncle (right) took a nice velvet buck in 2003 (using my bow) to the north of the mountain in the background. His was a 30" wide typical and just under 200" As I recall, that was the last year a dedicated hunter could draw a Premium LE tag and get all 3 seasons.

This pic here actually gives our location away, north end of Pennell. My other cousin (back) scouted quite a bit before the hunt but never saw this buck until the morning his brother shot it. Things were pretty crowded where the more well-known bucks and the wealthy hunters (can you say Governor's tag?) were with their guides. We did not decide on hunt location until the night before the opener. We have always tried to avoid the clamor and competition of the crowds.

On our way out, we stopped in a camp where a hunter showed us pics of this same buck that he had taken while pursuing it during the archery season...5 or 6 miles away from where my cousin took it.

I can't speak for my cousin but since the Henries is essentially a once-in-a-lifetime experience, he may be open to share exact location and tips. I will ask him. I'll just say this - when my 2 much younger cousins talk about how difficult it (the terrain) was to get to where this buck was, then you know it was a hard hunt.

Good luck on your hunt.

p.s. when my uncle and I were scouting Bull Pass and northward back in 2003, there was a guy hauling off a TON of antlers. I'm sure it gets hit even harder now, 19 years later.
What a buck! Thanks for sharing!

I hear you about wishing for a stag.
I wish there were a nonresident muzz preference tag... Oh well, looks like if all applicants repeat what they did last year, I have a 40% chance at a rifle tag this year. Tags are the same number as last year. I'm actually excited about the UT draw for the first time in a long time!
I hear you about wishing for a
Non Res Muzzy Bonus Tag.
However I think my points wouldn’t be enough for it.
Wish you luck!
You just might pull that rifle tag this year.

View attachment 74643

when my 2 much younger cousins talk about how difficult it (the terrain) was to get to where this buck was, then you know it was a hard hunt.
**main road visible in background, 500’ lower in elevation**

Yeah, im sure it was one of the most physically demanding deer hunts the state has to offer! Congrats on a hard earned buck!

**main road visible in background, 500’ lower in elevation**

Yeah, im sure it was one of the most physically demanding deer hunts the state has to offer! Congrats on a hard earned buck!
You're a real class act. I'd love to know what triggers in a simple mind like yours that then prompts you to make a comment like the one above. Clueless is the one word that comes to mind. One question for you. Have you ever stepped foot on the Henry Mountains ? From the reply above, I am guessing its highly doubtful. Stay cool Bro. Im sure you are always the coolest guy in the room. At least in your mind.

Did You Harvest a Ram Big Wiff?

I was stalking a ram on Oak Creek last fall, sneaking through a saddle I glanced down and there was a nice, heavy, hard white 4pt. shed. I packed it for a minute and ended up leaving it on a rock at the top of the peak if anybody wants it I'd bet it's still there.

You're a real class act. I'd love to know what triggers in a simple mind like yours that then prompts you to make a comment like the one above. Clueless is the one word that comes to mind. One question for you. Have you ever stepped foot on the Henry Mountains ? From the reply above, I am guessing its highly doubtful. Stay cool Bro. Im sure you are always the coolest guy in the room. At least in your mind.
Yep many times. And I’ve packed bison off that unit in areas 5.5 miles one direction as a crow flies from the nearest road, on my back in 3 trips. I’ve also had them uphill of a road that I could see in the back ground and that was some of the easier hunts I’ve ever had. anywhere I’m above a road and can see the road, I wouldn’t consider “physically demanding” by any sense of the meaning, doesn’t matter what unit I’m on. Unless you don’t ever get out or have to ever do anything moderately difficult. Then I could see how someone such as your self even putting on pants in the morning could be physically demanding.

What “triggers” me is morons like you trying to be relevant in today’s online imaginary importance world. Simple minded? You do recall I’m not the one calling a downhill pack out with 3 grown adults (or possibly more) to carry the weight, at a distance of no more than a mile, “physically demanding”, right? That’s as simple as it gets, and you made it extremely complicated apparently. Good luck in life! Breathing air is definitely harder for some than others.

Last edited:
Yep many times. And I’ve packed bison off that unit in areas 5.5 miles one direction as a crow flies from the nearest road, on my back in 3 trips. I’ve also had them uphill of a road that I could see in the back ground and that was some of the easier hunts I’ve ever had. anywhere I’m above a road and can see the road, I wouldn’t consider “physically demanding” by any sense of the meaning, doesn’t matter what unit I’m on. Unless you don’t ever get out or have to ever do anything moderately difficult. Then I could see how someone such as your self even putting on pants in the morning could be physically demanding.

What “triggers” me is morons like you trying to be relevant in today’s online imaginary importance world. Simple minded? You do recall I’m not the one calling a downhill pack out with 3 grown adults (or possibly more) to carry the weight, at a distance of no more than a mile, “physically demanding”, right? That’s as simple as it gets, and you made it extremely complicated apparently. Good luck in life! Breathing air is definitely harder for some than others.
Point proven. Thank you for reminding us that you are always the coolest guy in the room.

Point proven. Thank you for reminding us that you are always the coolest guy in the room.
No no, that’s you. The guy who somehow managed to turn a road hunt into a grinder, the likes of which that could not be accomplished by just anyone. My hats off to you and your success on such a challenging hunt

No no, that’s you. The guy who somehow managed to turn a road hunt into a grinder, the likes of which that could not be accomplished by just anyone. My hats off to you and your success on such a challenging hunt
Strange. I don't recall ever saying I was there. You know what they say about assumption. Then again, this along with several other comments you have left on other threads, maybe you don't know what they say. Stay cool Bro

Strange. I don't recall ever saying I was there. You know what they say about assumption. Then again, this along with several other comments you have left on other threads, maybe you don't know what they say.
6D1EC20F-CC42-44ED-963D-39D55C017F1E.png

What is even stranger than your need to over exaggerate the truth, is your short term memory issues. Here’s where you say you where there by stating “I took the photo”. Convenient memory loss? Maybe. Either way, you look pretty stupid on all accounts.

Want to back peddle on anything else to dig a deeper hole? Or do you want to stop here?

View attachment 75748
What is even stranger than your need to over exaggerate the truth, is your short term memory issues. Here’s where you say you where there by stating “I took the photo”. Convenient memory loss? Maybe. Either way, you look pretty stupid on all accounts.

Want to back peddle on anything else to dig a deeper hole? Or do you want to stop here?
I didn't make that post Dude! Hahhahahhaa

View attachment 75748

I didn't make that post Dude! Hahhahahhaa
Lol always classic when the person calling someone stupid and just being an all around ass in general is the one who actually looks stupid.

The year is flying by. Was able to get out and get the Paramount dialed in, drop chart built and am ready to get out and shoot some longer distances. Headed down over the 4th of July weekend to do some looking around. I figure by then, I will be able to tell what could be big. Moisture was looking ok this spring, but its sure drying up fast.

View attachment 75748

Talk about digging a deeper hole. Put that shovel down and check the usernames real quick.

I noticed the road in the background of the pic as well, but I don't know anything about the area this picture was taken, so I'm not going to make any assumptions. What I do know is that deer posted by huntjock is an absolute dream buck, and I'm really jealous of openingday's tag he's got this year.

People on these forums need to settle down. It's just hunting and it is supposed to be fun.

The year is flying by. Was able to get out and get the Paramount dialed in, drop chart built and am ready to get out and shoot some longer distances. Headed down over the 4th of July weekend to do some looking around. I figure by then, I will be able to tell what could be big. Moisture was looking ok this spring, but its sure drying up fast.
I hope you kill a great buck. Good luck scouting

I can see where I killed my deer and my buffalo in that pic. Congrats on a stud buck
I think you know as well as I do, there is a lot of country in that pic. haha. I can see a few places where I have seen Nice bucks and a few Tatonka in that pic. The buck you killed a few years ago was a Stud. In the Steep Stuff. haha

4th of July weekend turned out to be a great trip. There is good water and it’s really green. Last weeks rains helped a lot. Seen a ton of deer and a few with some good potential. Wasn’t quick enough with the camera to get the biggest couple of bucks. One was already over 30” and the other was already over 180”. Also couldn’t get a pic of a real nice buck with about an 18” dropper coming off the main beam. Here are a few of the bucks we did get pics of
01E49D53-0A16-4E50-8554-53D1E794BA31.jpeg

D76BFCC9-CF7A-4DCC-8308-D291863C42D7.jpeg

52733891-56CE-43D6-8163-60064F795249.jpeg

7D4A2F33-F44B-4C29-9C58-E61E304C87F2.jpeg

6C30B490-20FB-4C17-9314-8577C4E42367.jpeg

A2A7CFBD-C906-41F2-A689-7E5210F3CCD0.jpeg

4th of July weekend turned out to be a great trip. There is good water and it’s really green. Last weeks rains helped a lot. Seen a ton of deer and a few with some good potential. Wasn’t quick enough with the camera to get the biggest couple of bucks. One was already over 30” and the other was already over 180”. Also couldn’t get a pic of a real nice buck with about an 18” dropper coming off the main beam. Here are a few of the bucks we did get pics of View attachment 80478

View attachment 80479

View attachment 80480

View attachment 80481

View attachment 80482

View attachment 80483
That buck in the last picture is going to be a stud. Looks like he might fork all of his back points into extras. He could absolutely explode in the next 6 weeks. And it sounds like the two bigger bucks will be tanks as well that you didn't get pictures of. I think you picked a great year to get the tag as I think antler growth will be at a premium this year in many places in the state.

Thanks for sharing.

I second (or third) what a few others have said about that last buck... He looks to have a lot of growth left and with the mass he's showing, and that huge body... I'd bet he'll end up on a few people's hit list.

Also, I wanted to mention that on a unit like the Henry's, you can find quite a variety of bucks- Like you showed your recent trip. Some typicals, some non-typicals, and some really weird bucks grow down there. Just try to find the one that really gets your buck fever going, then get him. Scores are for contests like basketball and football... Not for a lifetime memory. :)

If you see an outfitter with the whole posse out there, call it in. That is now an illegal take (IE- poaching) in Utah.

It won’t take many felony poaching cases against guides for them to get the message, but the DWR is very short handed, so we have a part to play in this.

4th of July weekend turned out to be a great trip. There is good water and it’s really green. Last weeks rains helped a lot. Seen a ton of deer and a few with some good potential. Wasn’t quick enough with the camera to get the biggest couple of bucks. One was already over 30” and the other was already over 180”. Also couldn’t get a pic of a real nice buck with about an 18” dropper coming off the main beam. Here are a few of the bucks we did get pics of View attachment 80478

View attachment 80479

View attachment 80480

View attachment 80481

View attachment 80482

View attachment 80483
Saving these for the spank bank

Bet ya the posse’s aren’t connected to any outfitters. It’s the dude who got his neighbors and every family member back to 3rd cousins to come help. Outfitters get a bad rap here, but my experience has been that it’s the average fella and 10-20 buddies that are painted as an guide because someone has a sticker in a window

Could be true in some instances, berrysblaster, but step off that unit you frequent and head down south. You’ll see what is being talked about.

Well, you used to see that, hopefully. The days of two different outfitters logos and an Instagram handholding session with the Governor’s tag holder behind an animal are in the past as well.

Hopefully…

Looks to me like some good potential from those pictures!! Thanks for sharing and good luck on the hunt, hope to see a successful pic in the future!!
PS: that buck from above is definitely a taker but you know what they say from looking at them from the back???. When you snap your photos have the buck looking at the camera as well lol, But I’m sure I know the reason of that rear photo!! Great buck !!!

View attachment 80479

View attachment 80480

View attachment 80481

View attachment 80482

View attachment 80483
First off, congrats on even drawing the tag haha! I love just knowing there are amazing bucks still in the state. Good luck on the hunt and I hope to see a successful pic during the season!

Bet ya the posse’s aren’t connected to any outfitters. It’s the dude who got his neighbors and every family member back to 3rd cousins to come help. Outfitters get a bad rap here, but my experience has been that it’s the average fella and 10-20 buddies that are painted as an guide because someone has a sticker in a window
Some will play by the rules and others would not. It just the nature of the Beast.
I will wish I had a huge groups of friends when and if a draw it.

Some will play by the rules and others would not. It just the nature of the Beast.
I will wish I had a huge groups of friends when and if a draw it.
We will be in a group of all Family. Dad, 2 Uncles, little Bro and Cousin.
I was there last year during the Muzzy hunt. There were at least 4 different Outfitters that we seen. It seemed to me like each outfit was made up of a spotter or two, guide and hunter. It wasn't as bad as some make it sound. All outfits were quite friendly when we talked to them. Maybe because we didnt have a tag? haahhaa

The anticipation is killing me.. Its sounding like a great year to have a Henry's tag. Cant wait to get back down there next week and see what the bow hunters are kicking around.
Hopefully the feed is lush and green and there is some good antler growth and some mature bucks this year.

After a few more days on the mountain, things are looking really good. The storms have been nuts down there. Lots of washed out roads. The archers were getting after it pretty good. Thanks for showing me where the big ones are being seen. Haha. I was able to locate all but 1 of the potential shooters we like. Next trip will be over Labor Day. I’m already looking forward to getting back down there. Here is a little eye candy from the weekend

9810D06D-06E2-402D-B83F-3ECA8838E836.jpeg
3FD91A0B-4AE8-42C3-BD09-3F513344F0E8.jpeg
B0ADE48D-A064-4871-B668-E7F711BE3E72.jpeg
EE3379F0-390A-4551-810D-133E9DE10EC6.jpeg

2D13A9AA-BF22-4DD6-B60F-9386D96E77C2.jpeg

If I had to order them as I would hunt them...

5, 2, 4, 3, 1... Probably. The big hook cheater is quite cool. I do like the multiple sticker points on #2 though as well... On my Book Cliffs hunt this year, either one would get a dose of Creedmoor from my daughter's gun without hesitation...

If I had to order them as I would hunt them...

5, 2, 4, 3, 1... Probably. The big hook cheater is quite cool. I do like the multiple sticker points on #2 though as well... On my Book Cliffs hunt this year, either one would get a dose of Creedmoor from my daughter's gun without hesitation...
I like that order. I couldnt get a picture of a buck that would probably make the top 5 also. The good and bad part about the weekend is that I couldn't turn up our # 1 or # 2 bucks. However, they were seen by a friend of mine. Fingers crossed they make it through the bow hunt and stay in the same area.

Another Successful Scouting Trip over the weekend. Seen a lot of the same bucks and a few new ones. Our # 1, # 2 bucks are still alive and well and in the same areas. # 3 hit the dirt over the weekend but got replaced by a little better “new” buck. I believe there is only 1 or 2 archery tags left to fill. Fingers crossed we can turn him up in 3 weeks. Here are a few bucks from the weekend . ps…. None of these bucks are on the list. Those are secrets for another time.
F2AC3812-E7E0-4D84-B651-83FE0D402E7D.jpeg
Thanks

747C7053-975E-4CA4-8929-63E103C1B870.jpeg

2D3103C2-D720-4D50-90F1-4C5A8553E404.jpeg

20951234-5D13-4DB7-954E-3E8FF3F3E204.jpeg

43EA1E33-D539-4584-A18C-66668184AC3C.jpeg

DD8EED08-2F74-4965-BBBB-107F61F9E215.jpeg

F7F3B635-BA9E-46CD-A854-F57DE032F265.jpeg

Another Successful Scouting Trip over the weekend. Seen a lot of the same bucks and a few new ones. Our # 1, # 2 bucks are still alive and well and in the same areas. # 3 hit the dirt over the weekend but got replaced by a little better “new” buck. I believe there is only 1 or 2 archery tags left to fill. Fingers crossed we can turn him up in 3 weeks. Here are a few bucks from the weekend . ps…. None of these bucks are on the list. Those are secrets for another time. View attachment 86164 Thanks

View attachment 86158

View attachment 86159

View attachment 86160

View attachment 86161

View attachment 86162

View attachment 86163
They all look like nice bucks. Thanks for sharing. Since none of them made the list, can’t wait to see the grip-n-grin pictures when one of the ones on the list hits the dirt.

We arrived on Saturday before the hunt giving us a few days to scout for our target buck. Well, we turned him up on Sunday in a great spot and knew if he stayed put, we would have a great chance of getting him. There were no other hunters around looking and it seemed like we had him to ourselves.
603FEE79-387A-4E61-9849-4B0431BBF6C9.jpeg
DD6C5421-7C78-474C-AFF0-D61C6D853957.jpeg

Then come Monday evening, he came out and it had hurt his leg pretty bad somehow. He would only go about 10 yards and lay down. This was bad, but good as we now knew he probably wouldn’t leave the area. WRONG! We never seen him again after Monday. Lots of possibilities for his disappearance, but he was gone for good. We spent Tuesday through Thursday looking hard for him.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom