henry mtn deer hunt

bigmoosie

Well,I finally got back to the land of snow and ice after my deer hunt on the Henry's,What a great hunt and great country.The weather was fantastic highs in the 60's and lows in the middle 30's.We saw over 300 bucks. with a high of 63 one day. I was on the management hunt but was not disappointed seeing all of those great bucks. We saw at least 10 B&C bucks,probably at least 10 over 30, what a fantastic place.I let go a nice 30-31# 4x3 go the one day of the regular season, I should say here that I had an extended season as I am unable to walk around.We saw two different groups of 12 bucks, telling me that thebucks weren't really serious about rutting yet. I think the rut was getting closer everyday as we were seeing bigger groups of does each day and more and more bucks tending these does.WE meet a group of 4 young guys from Wyoming that were die hard hunters we watched opening day as they went after a 36# deer they got within 300 yards but missed the shot as there was too many deer around him. The hunters dad stayed back on the road and seen a 34# inch buck that we thought was a 3x3. I had my pentax 100mm scope on this buck at 800 yds and thought he was a 3x3. The boys stalked this buck got very close and discovered that his main beams both split right at the ends, what a great buck probably at least 34wide and close to 30 high.I know you guys are probably thinking yeah right these bucks are that big. I have been hunting mule deer since the early 60's have killed many great bucks, have been scoring deer for over 30 years and have looked at thousands of mule deer over the years.I have hunted area 45 in Idaho seen more deer there, but more big deer on the Henry's.I have been on the winter range at Cokeville and Pinedale Wyoming and seen hundreds of deer a day but never the number of big bucks seen here.We saw onr big buck that had very short G-2's but probably 14-15 inch bladed G-3's what a great buck. We were driving along a very sheep piece of road one day when I spotted a few does below the road,told Louie to stop and trow a few rocks into the oak brush. It just exploded with deer 3 bucks, two of which were monsters one giant typical probably over 200 net and a great non-typical with a 200main frame at least 28-29 wide with a 7inch forked cheater on one side and cheaters of at least 3 inches out of both webs on his right side, you guys do the math. We watched these two great bucks leave the country, they didn't run but just walked at least amile until we could no longer see them.The best management buck I saw was a great 4x3, a really nice 4 on his right side and just a 3 on his left, looked like he broke his main beam when growing, joked to my wife's cousin would probably shoot him if he was on the high side of the road.Saw Anterrick and his son one day, had a nice visit with them.The boys from Wyoming shoot a very nice 30inch 4x3 that they said scored 195 gross, had a 21 inch G-2 on his left side. Ran into the Mossback boys a couple of times, they were always very friendly. They told me were they had seen a couple of management deer.All in all a great hunt I could have shot many very nice deer but would have had to leave, was having way too much fun just looking at all these great deer. Hope Utah doesn't screw this area up as they have something very unique here, everyone who enjoys mule deer should go see this place as it is great.Ron

Thanks for sharing. I haven't been there and hope one day to draw a tag in maybe twenty or thirty years.

Hey bigmoosie, sounds like a great place to hang out with or without a tag. Watch out they might make us start drawing access only permits. Any idea if those bucks stay on the Henries during winter? BH1

Ron,
Good to hear about your hunt and I figured that Louie was with you along with Mary. Sounds like you enjoyed the time there and don't regret it at all. Sounds like you came home filled with BUCKS in your mind but none in the meat locker...nothing wrong with that either as long as you had a good time.
If you took any pictures and want me to post for you her on this thread you started, just send them my way and I will do it for you.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Here are a few pictures that Ron aka bigmoosie just sent to me.
6270dscn0174.jpg

3978dscn0240.jpg

8394dscn0242.jpg

387dscn0248.jpg

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Hey Ron,
I know what you mean about shooting one and then having to go home. I ended up taking a really good buck Thursday morning as everyone needed to get back home that afternoon, so I held out as long as I could. Was hoping to run into you on our way out but was pretty sure you were up on the mountain hunting.
I have a few pics on a post here in the mule deer section. Check him out and let me know what you think.
I was happy with my deer and really enjoyed checking out all the great bucks we seen every day. Each day more and more bucks were showing up where we were hunting but when this one stepped out, I just couldn't pass him up..
Nice visiting with you.

Nice buck Rick just couldn't make up my mind. Was having way too much fun just looking at them. We were seeing more and more big bucks each day as the rut was getting stronger. Would like to be there now bet it is unbelieveable. Ron

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom